Will Americans Forget Cycling?

I voted no. I submit the following as an example of why I voted no. As long as events like this get bigger each year I believe little by little professional cycling will be accepted in the US. An uphill battle to be sure but not impossible!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sun, Apr. 18, 2004

Buying into biking
2004 Tour de Georgia expected to pump $20M into Georgia's economy
By Linda S. Morris
Telegraph Staff Writer

or the next few days, bicycles are going to be big business in Georgia.

In its second year, the 2004 Tour de Georgia, projected by race organizers to attract at least 1 million spectators across the state, will pump an estimated $20 million into Georgia's economy.

"There's nothing like this in North America," said Stan Holm, the race's executive director. "My real vision is this race will become the Super Bowl of cycling in North America."

The race didn't generate nearly the same attention and dollars in 2003. Holm estimated last year's crowd at 250,000 and its economic impact statewide at $2.5 million.

"It's completely different this year," Holm said.

This year, a sizable portion of the $20 million economic infusion likely will stay in Macon - host city for the start of the race - because many cyclists, support crew, race organizers and international media will be in the city for several days, said Janice Marshall, president and CEO of the Macon-Bibb Convention & Visitors Bureau. Some plan to stay until Wednesday morning before heading to Thomaston for the race's second stage.

"We get the benefit of being the start city," Marshall said. "Macon, Columbus and Alpharetta are the places (visitors) will be spending more money because there are more opportunities. We should be getting our fair share of that $20 million."

At least 120 cyclists have entered the race, including five-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong of the United States and former cycling world champion Mario Cipollini of Italy.

The six-day, 653-mile race throughout the state begins at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at Cherry and Third streets in downtown Macon and loops to Milledgeville, returning to Macon in the afternoon.

The race is a vehicle to promote tourism and stimulate economic growth. Proceeds from the race, expected to exceed $2.5 million, will benefit the Georgia Cancer Coalition, organizers said.

Holm said previous tourism studies show that tourists who spend one night in Georgia spend an average of $109 a day, including lodging and meals.

"So I conservatively say, if we have a million spectators - and I have no doubt we will - and if only 10 percent of them stay two nights, that's more than $20 million that goes directly into the Georgia economy," he said. "That's cash."

The projected $20 million statewide economic boost - which does not include money spent by spectators who don't stay overnight in hotels - is derived from surveys by the Georgia Department of Industry, Trade and Tourism, Holm said.

David Crites, executive director of Georgia Bikes, a nonprofit cycling organization in Atlanta, said he and three friends plan to watch the race in Macon, Athens and the final stage in Alpharetta. Although the four will stay with a friend while in Macon, Crites said he expects to spend about $160 here, including buying a gift for his host family.

"I'm planning to try out the Nu-Way hot dog place for lunch and Satterfield's for one of the lunches," he said in an e-mail Friday.

Race to spread tourism dollars throughout state

As a comparison, the 2003 Southeastern Conference Championship Game in Atlanta created a $28.5 million economic impact, said Matt Garvey, director of communications for the Atlanta Sports Council, a division of the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. The 2003 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl had a $35.8 million impact while the 2000 Super Bowl in Atlanta created a $292 million economic impact, he said.

"The biggest impactors of economic impact are when you get out-of-state spending," Garvey said. He said the $20 million figure for the Tour de Georgia might be a little high, but he did not say what he thought the economic impact would be.

An Atlanta Falcons game might draw 70,000 people and probably about 95 percent of those fans are from Georgia, he said. Therefore, the economic impact "would be virtually non-existent because it's all money that would have been spent in our economy anyway," he said.

By comparison, if 70,000 people attend the Peach Bowl, about 50,000 would come from out of state, Garvey said. Therefore, the economic impact would be about $30 million to $35 million because those people are staying in hotels, eating in restaurants and buying Georgia souvenirs, he said.

However, Holm said the Tour de Georgia is different because it is a traveling event and will spread tourist dollars in other cities and rural areas of the state that wouldn't normally feel the impact of a large sporting event.

Betsy Hueber, president of the Thomaston-Upson Chamber of Commerce, said she's uncertain of the dollar impact there.

"We will be having spectators who will purchase gasoline and will be stopping at convenience stores," she said. "Also, local sign companies have benefited because of the signs and banners we had printed."

Holm said Georgia residents who stay in a hotel two nights during the race and spend $200 a day might have spent that money in Florida, for example, if they didn't spend it in Georgia during the race.

"I think it's hard really to quantify the impact of this," said Chip Cherry, president and CEO of the Greater Macon Chamber of Commerce. "The prime reason we were involved with it to begin with was to build on an awareness of Macon ... and to show off our community. It's amazing to see how excited people are getting."

The 297-room Crowne Plaza in downtown Macon had fewer than 10 rooms available for Monday, general manager Joseph Nowell said last week. The professional cycling teams, their support crews and many state Tour de Georgia officials are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Friday afternoon, two other local hotels, the Wingate Inn and Courtyard by Marriott, were completely booked for Monday night, Marshall said.

As the race progresses, participants and some spectators will not only pay for lodging, but they will buy gasoline, food and personal items along the route, Holm said.

"I have personally had calls from large groups planning bus trips from New Mexico, Colorado, Michigan and a little closer from Florida," Holm said. "They are probably cycling enthusiasts. There are 12 million of them in the U.S. and their average income is $90,000 a year."

Local sponsors contribute nearly $52,000

Part of the responsibility of local organizing committees in each city along the route is providing food and lodging for one night for the cyclists and support staff, Cherry said. The Macon organizing committee also paid for advertising, parking signs, entertainment and other related costs. As of last week, the committee had raised nearly $52,000 from local sponsors, he said.

"We're providing a lot as host, $22,400 for lodging alone, plus food for about $15,000," Cherry said.

Other than the large number of spectators expected to watch at least a portion of the race, more than 200 credentials have been issued to the media, Marshall said.

Neal Rogers, associate editor of VeloNews, a cycling magazine based in Boulder, Colo., said he plans to stay three nights in Macon and will follow the entire race.

"I would say I will spend between $75 to $100 a day," said Rogers, who plans to share his hotel room with another journalist to save money. "I'm budgeting about $500 for the trip, but I might end up spending more."

The increased attention this year is mostly due to Armstrong's presence in the race. But it garnered more attention with Thursday's announcement that Cipollini also will compete.

"If there were cycling enthusiasts who weren't coming, they will now," Holm said of the Cipollini announcement.

Cipollini is the 2002 World Road Champion and has more than 150 career victories, according to a Tour de Georgia news release.

"It is a memorable event," Rogers said. "How often does a five-time Tour de France winner come and race in a stage race in the United States? It's never. He's bigger than the sport. And this is his preparation for what will be historic either way. He will be the first person to ever win six (Tour de France races), or whoever beats him is going to be the only person who ever beat Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by stone61cm
I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about this.

When Lance Armstrong retires, possibly at the end of this year, Will Americans forget about cycling because we're not a top contender anymore?

Personally, as an American, I think the vast majority of us will. Most Americans only care about American sports, which pretty much suck.

Well! If you are referring to racing Americans that are not into cycling will be less aware of what is going on if there is not an American on top.
If you are talking about particpation in cycling as a recreational passtime for health or other reasons ,I belive it is growing and will continue to grow. If Trek and Cannondale have any thing to do with it ,it will become our national passtime

Having been to many racing events, and met many people from all over the world, the idea that cycling will be almost forgotten once Armstong is gone, well, doesn't really fall into our hands.

Like golf and Tiger Woods, where a whole new phenomenon was created, cycling will have its legend in Lance Armstrong. Not because of his sporting achievements, but more because of his life history. His surviving cancer, the doping allegations, the 5 TdFs (soon to be 6) and his profile. Cycling appeals to a great audience because cycling with or without Lance attracts not just cyclists, but cancer survivors, people seeking inspiration etc. People will pass on the message to others. The brand "Lance Armstrong Inc" has created disciples all over the world.

The generations to come will follow what was a "lesser sport" and will continue to increase the interest.

I don't think cycling will be "forgotten" in the USA once Lance retires. Believe it or not, there's a certain faction of us here that have been following the sport of cycling (and cycling ourselves in some cases) since before anyone knew who Lance Armstrong was! Some of us have even been following cycling since before Greg LeMond. Granted Lemond and (perhaps even moreso) Armstrong have greatly increased the popularity of the sport and brought attention to the sport from the casual sportsfan and mainstream media.

I would concede that cycling will most likely lose some popularity in the USA when Lance retires. But forgotten??? No Way!!!

The USA won't forget about cycling. Perhaps they won't be so interested without a megastar like Armstrong in the sport, but his example has already taken hold and I think that at this moment in time there are probably more Americans than ever before who see cycling as a viable sport in which to make a career. There are probably more than ever before who see cycling / biking / other 2-wheeled activiy, as a great way to have fun and stay healthy.

Sure, there may be a few lower-profile years after Lance (and that's only if you rather narrow-mindedly discount Tyler and co.), but just as Lemond inspired a generation of American cyclists, so has Lance. We just don't know who they are yet. Lance was the next Greg. Everyone's just waiting for the next Lance.

Cycling will be less popular without a multiple Tour winner and cancer survivor leading the way, but there will be others who will raise the profile again.

FWIW: Bobby Jullich is probably in the twilight of his cycling carreer along with Lance. In fact he said himslef that this is his "last chance" year to be a serious competitor in the TdF. And while Tyler may have a couple of good years left in him, he's no spring chicken either (by cycling standards). In fact I think he's almost a year older than Lance. It'll have to be someone else who steps-up within the next couple of years to be the American hero in the peleton.

Originally posted by limerickman
Who knows perhaps LA's example had brushed of on some
young boy or girl already.

One never knows who might be standing in the shadows and watching your accomplishments. It makes being a good example all that more important.

John0.....I think it's pretty widely thought that the term cycling does not include mountain biking.

Seems like you just wanted to make yourself appear intelligent

John0.....I think it's pretty widely thought that the term cycling does not include mountain biking.

Seems like you just wanted to make yourself appear intelligent

Actually, I've been using a mountain bike to cycle with instead of the normal BMX bike. Yeah, now your laughing. Anyways, I've been cycling so much with my BMX bike just to get places that I went out and got myself a nice full suspension mountain bike. It's soo much easier with gears now. I've put atleast 600 miles on that Mosh BMX just going to church and back, a 20 mile trip. I had to get a bike with some gears after being passed by an 80yo barely pedaling. It was quite humiliating me. I've also got my eyes set on a road bike so I can try getting in atleast 35 miles a day without wearing down my knobbies. You can cycle with any human powered bike.

In my opinion I think that the American public won't forget the sport anymore than if Lance stayed another year. I believe that our sport is special and brings special people to the sport. The retirement of Lance may just be a stepping stone for other pros that couldn't compete with Lance.

Doubt it.

I think having an icon has been nice for the cycling american pblic, but the retirement of Lemond was followed by another. Too many possibilities still out there... Hamilton, Levi, and others.

THEY CYCLE IN THE US????:eek: :eek:

I thought if it wasn't a V8, it's not worth squat!!! Okay, I'll shut up, before the US declares war on us too!!! ;)

(By the way, that was a joke. . . a funny ha ha. . .) No offence intended. There were no innuendos (did I spell that right) or subliminal messages.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

By the way, who is Lance? What bike does he ride? Does he shave his legs, and does he wear pro kit. Maybe he's just another cycling dork. . . :D :D

By the way, what was this thread about again??

Originally posted by Ratty
THEY CYCLE IN THE US????:eek: :eek:

By the way, who is Lance? What bike does he ride? Does he shave his legs, and does he wear pro kit. Maybe he's just another cycling dork. . . :D :D

By the way, what was this thread about again??

Lance is the little skinny guy from Texas that is going to be the first in history to win 6 TDF's. And dork is a matter of perspective. I mean people who run around in tight fitting attire, you know like Superman.

You mean the skinny guy from Texas who is going to finish behind Jan "I only vant to hear vun klick" Ullrich at that quanit little french race this year. . . ;)

I think, perhaps more like Batman (oakley shades etc, and the old "bat out of that warm place down below" saying) :D

Originally posted by Saucy
Not to nitpick, but the last time I checked, "our continent" had a few other countries called "Canada" "Mexico" and a bunch of other countries I can't pronounce or locate on a map. Of course, these countries are simply pawns in our sphere of influence so to say that that the US is an entire continent is not entirely incorrect.

Come on, please, a little of humility.

I know that for some North Americans is almost impossible to think that there is a world outside USA where real people live, think, fights, wish, love and race, but I’d expected that in a forum of cyclists that knows the real world and that there are many other countries and cultures not only theirs the possibilities of finding this kind of “owners of the world” (or at least of the continent) comments where slim.

I’d was proven wrong.

Maybe in a white supremacy forum this kind of asseverations would be most welcome, here I do reject them.

Originally posted by Ratty
You mean the skinny guy from Texas who is going to finish behind Jan "I only vant to hear vun klick" Ullrich at that quanit little french race this year. . . ;)

I think, perhaps more like Batman (oakley shades etc, and the old "bat out of that warm place down below" saying) :D

Ever hear or a guy named Heras. He might just kick both thier butts!:cool:

Originally posted by Saucy
I thought it was pretty clear from my post that I was poking fun at the idea that Americans know nothing about geography. Its called "self-deprecating humor" ...

No, it wasn’t clear at all

Now I don’t know if you think America it’s USA or America it’s a continent with a bunch of countries serving the grand master omnipotent and supreme US.

Yes I can make bad jokes too.

Regards

Originally posted by cuervo
No, it wasn’t clear at all

Now I don’t know if you think America it’s USA or America it’s a continent with a bunch of countries serving the grand master omnipotent and supreme US.

Yes I can make bad jokes too.

Regards

Do you have sarcasim in Mexico? (please note, this post was intended to be sarcastic).

Originally posted by meehs
Do you have sarcasim in Mexico? (please note, this post was intended to be sarcastic).

Wahaa ha ha ha.

we used to have some here in SA, but alas, it was mechanically removed for political reasons and replaced with irony.

(Is that a heavy metal?)

:D

Ok, now everybody. . . BREATH. . . in .... and out.... and in ... and out.

Originally posted by meehs

Yes, “sarcasim” is part of our culture too (we do have a culture), I don’t know if its just me or what, but lately I have some problems finding good sarcasm in what I’m reading.

Regards.

Originally posted by cuervo
Yes, “sarcasim” is part of our culture too (we do have a culture), I don’t know if its just me or what, but lately I have some problems finding good sarcasm in what I’m reading.

Regards.

Yes, I know that you do have a culture in Mexico. I love Mexican food! I didn't mean to offend anyone. And it's not just you. It's often very hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic when your reading the words rather than hearing them speak.