Winter Riding

Doki

Guest
What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
traction combined with minimal mud guards).

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:36:15 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
>see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
>traction combined with minimal mud guards).

Go on, be a ruffty tuffy ................. get out there !!!!!

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:36:15 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing,
>> but can see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud,
>> meaning no traction combined with minimal mud guards).
>>

> Go on, be a ruffty tuffy ................. get out there !!!!!

Heheh. I first took up cycling in February. Lovely memories of riding home
in a drenched t-shirt and combat trousers, frozen :p.

Doki wondered:
> What do you all do in the winter?

Carry on commuting.

Doki wondered:

Doki wrote:
> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing,
> but can see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud,
> meaning no traction combined with minimal mud guards).

These days I don more layers and do shorter rides in the winter. A few years
ago I used to ride mountain bikes in the winter. MTBing in the winter is
great, frozen puddles and mud and snow and no mudguards.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Doki wondered:
>> What do you all do in the winter?

> Carry on commuting.

Was Joan Simms in that one ?

Can anyone recommend a 23/25c 700 tyre that will stop me falling off in wet
and wintery weather. I commute on a wider tyred hybrid but as I'm taking
things more seriously now I plan to try and get in some longer cold Sunday
riding on the race bike this year. Puncture free and folding would be great
but wet weather grip is paramount.

Ta

Paul

---

Winter? what is this?

We live in a country which only has one season .. and it rains all the friging time so what difference does a change in the dates make.

In message <[email protected]>, Doki
<[email protected]> writes
>What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
>see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
>traction combined with minimal mud guards).

Choose your route carefully - certainly round here there's plenty of MTB
routes that are fine in winter. Avoid agricultural areas, such tracks
can be muddy hell, especially if there's a significant local population
of horse riders. The high level routes on the moors, though wet, are
often OK.

Get kitted out with the right clothing and look forward to Xmas week,
often very cold, frozen ground, touch of snow, magical MTB conditions.
Yay, roll on winter.

--
Steve

That's the fun!

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
> see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
> traction combined with minimal mud guards).

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
> see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
> traction combined with minimal mud guards).

MTB is made for mud. Top Tip - buy a new pair of tyres in October. Each
autumn,I never cease to be amazed at the fantastic level of grip available
in slike conditions on my new tyres.

Nothing special, Nelson's cycles (Abergavenny) usually have something good
for £15 a pair (often including tubes).

John

('[email protected]') wrote:

> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but
> can see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud,
> meaning no traction combined with minimal mud guards).

I have to confess I do most of my mountain biking in the winter. Mud?
Isn't that what it's all about?

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
[seen on /. 08:04:02]

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Doki
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing,
>> but can see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud,
>> meaning no traction combined with minimal mud guards).

> I have to confess I do most of my mountain biking in the winter. Mud?
> Isn't that what it's all about?

I dunno. Round here it seems to be "Mud? That'll be why my wheels aren't
turning any more" :D.

wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
>see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
>traction combined with minimal mud guards).

I am a road rider anyway. During the winter I ride as during the
summer, but with the addition of lights and gloves :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Doki wrote:

> What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing, but can
> see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud, meaning no
> traction combined with minimal mud guards).

I'll be spending most of it (hopefully) following a training program on
my turbo to get me fit for the start of the nicer weather next year, and
improve lots on this years acheivements.

Punctuated by t'other half no doubt trying to drag me out in all
weathers for the occasional ride at the weekend...

--

Velvet

>I am a road rider anyway. During the winter I ride as during the
>summer, but with the addition of lights and gloves :)

That's the Unfit Family too. We are roadies. Don't like getting covered in
off-road cak. The quantity off it is much worse than the on-road cak. Good fun
watching others get covered in off-road cak though.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>I'll be spending most of it (hopefully) following a training program on
>my turbo to get me fit for the start of the nicer weather next year, and
>improve lots on this years acheivements.
>
>Punctuated by t'other half no doubt trying to drag me out in all
>weathers for the occasional ride at the weekend...

Winter riding can be *lovely* as long as you are wrapped up in suitable
clothing. Rain doens't bother me so much as *hail* - that stings the face - and
strong gusty head or crosswinds. Cycling around country lanes as the sun is
coming up, so it highlights the mist over the fields which swirls around your
feet as you pedal, with hoar frost on the vegetation and deer in the fields is
Rather Good For The Soul :)

This morning there's a distinct nip in the air, so Nathan is off in warm kit,
wearing his CSC long-sleeved jersey - it's his favourite one.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$