Winter Riding

> That's the Unfit Family too. We are roadies. Don't like getting covered in
> off-road cak. The quantity off it is much worse than the on-road cak.

But the quality is rather better, as it doesn't have those charming oil
and salt components...

On the road one is generally getting from A to B so cack is an
unpleasant side-issue, but on an MTB it's more the technical doing in
the moment, so mud becomes part of the game. Once it's part of the game
it ceases to be so bothersome.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Doki wrote:
> Jack Ouzzi wrote:
>>On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:36:15 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>What do you all do in the winter? I'm mostly interested in MTBing,
>>>but can see that getting difficult (everywhere being covered in mud,
>>>meaning no traction combined with minimal mud guards).

Traction in mud is a combination of good tyres and good path selection
(by which I mean the best way along any given section more than overall
choice of strategic route). MTBs can do mud: indeed, it's one of the
things they do better than anything else, because of the fat knobbly
tyres, so it's something to /embrace/, not to shy away from.

I don't get the MTB out much, but Serious Mud is one of the reasons I
sometimes specifically extract it from the shed.

>>Go on, be a ruffty tuffy ................. get out there !!!!!

Indeed...

> Heheh. I first took up cycling in February. Lovely memories of riding home
> in a drenched t-shirt and combat trousers, frozen :p.

It's more fun in better kit. Combats are often pretty disastrous when
they're soaking wet, wear tights and (a) they pick up less water to
start with, (b) absorb less once it's hit them, (c) remain more
comfortable soaked because they move /with/ your legs, (d) dry out much,
much more quickly, and (e) are much lighter and give better freedom of
movement to start with. Combats are hopeless for sport cycling.

If the T shirt is cotton then that's not much good either. Cotton
absorbs moisture and takes forever to dry, and it's cold if it gets wet.
A good wicking base layer, preferably a close fitting stretchy one
(say, Helly Hansen Lifa), is /vastly/ better for the same reasons listed
for tights over combats. Put a windbreaker (pertex or similar) over the
top and that will keep the worst of the incoming out and still breathe well.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 16/9/04 7:33 am, in article [email protected],
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'll be spending most of it (hopefully) following a training program on
>> my turbo to get me fit for the start of the nicer weather next year, and
>> improve lots on this years acheivements.
>>
>> Punctuated by t'other half no doubt trying to drag me out in all
>> weathers for the occasional ride at the weekend...

Do it, do it.. you know you want to, even if it is just to sit in the
pub/cafe by a roaring fire with a hot meal and drink. It makes you
appreciate the fine points in life.

> Winter riding can be *lovely* as long as you are wrapped up in suitable
> clothing. Rain doens't bother me so much as *hail* - that stings the face -
> and
> strong gusty head or crosswinds.

This brings back memories of cycling in the Frozen North (tm) with ski
goggles, scarf over the face and many layers at -10C. Great fun though not
very fast. And studded tyres were really useful.

> Cycling around country lanes as the sun is
> coming up, so it highlights the mist over the fields which swirls around your
> feet as you pedal, with hoar frost on the vegetation and deer in the fields is
> Rather Good For The Soul :)

Absolutely. The morning mists as the sun rises over the little lumps that
pass for hills round here are absolutely fantastic. Just have to watch for a
bit of frost on the road as it gets into the depths of winter.

This is the problem.. there is only one season I can't get ecstatic about
and that is summer. Autumn is amazing with all the produce from the garden
and hedgerows, the colours of the trees as they turn and that smell of the
season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.
Winter is stark and severe, laying bare the very bones of the countryside.
Cycling through it is like travelling through a city at night when there is
no one around. It may be cold and bleak but it is pregnant with potential.
It's time to live off the results from the previous year, and to prepare for
the year to come.
Spring is great, as the nights get shorter and the new year comes to life.
Blossom and blooming buds. Anticipation as everything grows.

Summer just kind of happens.

...d

Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
: Can anyone recommend a 23/25c 700 tyre that will stop me falling off in wet
: and wintery weather.

Use at least a 25mm tyre for more grip.

Arthur

- Paulina Borsook

[email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> This morning there's a distinct nip in the air, so Nathan is off in warm kit,
> wearing his CSC long-sleeved jersey - it's his favourite one.

6c when I set off this morning, really felt like winter's here. I've
not switched from summer kit (shorts, MTB shirt), but soon warmed up
and enjoyed the ride (sunny with a bit of mist). Spring and Autumn
have to be the best riding weather, especially if its clear.

In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

> But the quality is rather better, as it doesn't have those charming oil
> and salt components...

/me chokes

About Feb. this year I tried to get along the estuary (of the Tavy)
upstream to the tidal ford. The ford itself is wholesome (good for
swimming at high tide, and pure fresh river water when it's crossable
by bike at low tide). But the modflats heading there got ever more
challenging, and by the time I turned back it was seriously deep and
gloopy. So much so that by the time I reached the ford, I went right
in to wash self and bike down, despite the fact that it started snowing
even as I was dipping.

After that, road salt seems pretty benign by comparison.

> the moment, so mud becomes part of the game. Once it's part of the game
> it ceases to be so bothersome.

That applies to muddy gravel/etc trails. But my preferred offroad is
on nice, grassy moorland. And I stop doing that in wet weather,
because I value that too much to want to damage the surface.

--
Nick Kew

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

> Winter riding can be *lovely* as long as you are wrapped up in suitable
> clothing. Rain doens't bother me so much as *hail* - that stings the face - and
> strong gusty head or crosswinds.

Indeedie. But IME the worst thing is when you go out kitted for good
weather and get caught out by a major change. Heavy rain and strong
wind with a t-shirt is fine in summer, but at winter temps with just
a tracksuit is not nice at all. BTDT.

> Cycling around country lanes as the sun is
> coming up, so it highlights the mist over the fields which swirls around your
> feet as you pedal, with hoar frost on the vegetation and deer in the fields is
> Rather Good For The Soul :)

Hmmm, I'm getting nervous about icy roads in my old age. Or perhaps that's
due to having either main roads or very small and hilly minor roads, with
nothing intermediate.

> This morning there's a distinct nip in the air, so Nathan is off in warm kit,
> wearing his CSC long-sleeved jersey - it's his favourite one.

/me still in shorts and t-shirt. The advantages of a good layer of
natural, organic insulation.

--
Nick Kew

>Spring and Autumn
>have to be the best riding weather, especially if its clear.

I love Spring and Autumn cycling. Dry cool yet sunny days with light breezes
make for wonderful cycling. Well, I like them anyhow.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Rory <[email protected]> wrote:

: 6c when I set off this morning, really felt like winter's here. I've
: not switched from summer kit (shorts, MTB shirt), but soon warmed up

I know everyone varies and all, but 6C is *way* too cold for shorts.
Your knees will thank you in the long run for not wearing shorts
when it's below 15 or so.

Arthur

- Paulina Borsook

>>I'll be spending most of it (hopefully) following a training program on
>>my turbo to get me fit for the start of the nicer weather next year, and
>>improve lots on this years acheivements.
>>
>>Punctuated by t'other half no doubt trying to drag me out in all
>>weathers for the occasional ride at the weekend...

> Winter riding can be *lovely* as long as you are wrapped up in suitable
> clothing. Rain doens't bother me so much as *hail* - that stings the face - and
> strong gusty head or crosswinds. Cycling around country lanes as the sun is
> coming up, so it highlights the mist over the fields which swirls around your
> feet as you pedal, with hoar frost on the vegetation and deer in the fields is
> Rather Good For The Soul :)
>
> This morning there's a distinct nip in the air, so Nathan is off in warm kit,
> wearing his CSC long-sleeved jersey - it's his favourite one.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Stoppit! You're *almost* making me think it might actually be nice... ;-)

--

Velvet

>Stoppit! You're *almost* making me think it might actually be nice... ;-)
>
>--
>

>Velvet

Well you shall have to get yourself up to deepest rural Norfolk one sunny
autumn Sunday and we can cycle across some lovely countryside to Castle Acre
for tea and cakes :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Velvet wrote:

> Stoppit! You're *almost* making me think it might actually be nice... ;-)

There are nice days in winter too, you know! And when they come along
then being out on a bike is a damn site more fun than turning your brain
into cream cheese on a turbo trainer...

The turbo's good for when it's 'orrible, but shorter days and lower
average ambient temperatures don't necessarily mean 3 months of 'orrible.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>>Stoppit! You're *almost* making me think it might actually be nice... ;-)
>>
>>--
>>

>>Velvet

> Well you shall have to get yourself up to deepest rural Norfolk one sunny
> autumn Sunday and we can cycle across some lovely countryside to Castle Acre
> for tea and cakes :)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
> to get correct one remove fame & fortune
> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
>
> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

Actually, you know, that's not as remote a possibility as it would have
been a few months back. I now have a car, in which to put bike (no, I'm
NOT cycling there from camby!), so maybe...

Might even have to see if t'other halfs cycle carrier works with my car
- my bike goes in fine but I doubt his would fit (unless he brings his
folder or we get into the removing wheels lark).

--

Velvet

>>Stoppit! You're *almost* making me think it might actually be nice... ;-)
>>
>>--
>>

>>Velvet

> Well you shall have to get yourself up to deepest rural Norfolk one sunny
> autumn Sunday and we can cycle across some lovely countryside to Castle Acre
> for tea and cakes :)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
> to get correct one remove fame & fortune
> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
>
> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

Actually, you know, that's not as remote a possibility as it would have
been a few months back. I now have a car, in which to put bike (no, I'm
NOT cycling there from camby!), so maybe...

Might even have to see if t'other halfs cycle carrier works with my car
- my bike goes in fine but I doubt his would fit (unless he brings his
folder or we get into the removing wheels lark).

--

Velvet

>Actually, you know, that's not as remote a possibility as it would have
>been a few months back. I now have a car, in which to put bike (no, I'm
>NOT cycling there from camby!), so maybe...

Excellent!

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Rory <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : 6c when I set off this morning, really felt like winter's here. I've
> : not switched from summer kit (shorts, MTB shirt), but soon warmed up
>
> I know everyone varies and all, but 6C is *way* too cold for shorts.
> Your knees will thank you in the long run for not wearing shorts
> when it's below 15 or so.
>
> Arthur

Up to the ripe old age of 13 I always wore shorts throughout the year. It caused
a bit of grief at school, but I never had any bother in winter.

Now that I'm old enough to not care what I look like, I shall continue to wear
shorts for as long as possible into the winter. It's just more comfortable.

--
Terry Duckmanton.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.duckmanton
A website mostly dedicated to cycling
http://tduckmanton.bravejournal.com
A daily log of my cycling exploits

In article <[email protected]>, Terry D
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Up to the ripe old age of 13 I always wore shorts throughout the
> year. It caused a bit of grief at school, but I never had any
> bother in winter.

I wore a kilt - ideal for fornication and diarhoeaa.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

[email protected] (Rory) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Spring and Autumn
> have to be the best riding weather, especially if its clear.

Autumn leaves can be a pest if off-road, though - I've had a front
wheel jam to a halt a few times due to woodland gunk clogging up
around the fork crown and canti bosses!
Hopefully the new bike will alleviate this, as it's a more modern
design with better clearances.

David E. Belcher

Terry D <[email protected]> wrote:

: Now that I'm old enough to not care what I look like, I shall continue to wear
: shorts for as long as possible into the winter. It's just more comfortable.

Up to you, however cycling in shorts in winter is usually regarded as a
way to improve your odds of getting arthritis etc.

You have

a) windchill from moving fast
b) you are putting force through the knees and
c) the knees itself has no depth of flesh or muscle over it to keep it
warm.

Arthur

- Paulina Borsook