Winter Waterproof Jacket advice

debs79110

Sep 15, 2013
Hi all, I am new, just started road biking and am looking to purchase a winter waterproof jacket...can anyone recommend a particular make? I have a road bike, cycle about 500 kms a month, if that helps. thanks in advance

Almost every clothing manufacturer makes something decent and not sure how much you want to spend but I have heard good things about the Castelli Zoncolan Jacket. It's a little pricey but I have seen it on sale for as low as $99-150 now that winter is wrapping up.

I believe it's only water "resistant", but the problem with truly waterproof ware is that it doesn't breath all that well so if you get all sweaty then stop for 15-30 minutes the danger is that you'll freeze in your own sweat (I'm also no expert on the newer technologies). I had a Gortex shell once upon a time which was for the most part waterproof and breathed fairly well, but I used it mainly for expedition hiking/camping, not cycling. Good luck.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-winter-coats-and-jackets~d~459/. There are cheaper brands, but these hold up well. Columbia has some I think. My biggest issue is finding ones that aren't bulky, those slow me down.

Originally Posted by danfoz
I believe it's only water "resistant", but the problem with truly waterproof ware is that

Actually they say that advertising stuff as "Waterproof" is misleading, as nothing is really waterproof. So the correct term is "Water Resistant".

For clothing there is also "Water Repellent" which they say that it's even better then "Water Resistant" for water protection.

(They = the internet
big-smile.png
)

There are a few options...

1. You go for a Water - Wind repellent, resistant, whatever "shell" top and wear some extra layers inside for warmth insulation.

2. You go for a Water - wind repellent, resistant whatever jacket that's also warm.
(Softshell jackets are fleece jackets which in contrast with soft-fleece, which "catches" water and lets some wind in, they do much better in rain - wind etc. But if the jackets gets soaked (and it will affter 60 washes in heavy rain) the whole water - wind - warmth insulation is compromised.
It might be a good idea to treat these jackets with a water-repellent product after washing many times.

I just wear a sweater underneath the jacket. Then you can cross out the winter.

Sweat a lot? Bring two sweaters.

I just prefer to shop on amazon as they have a range of products. The new cycling equipment that they have introduced are quite helpful. amazon has been quite cheap and they have different price ranges and quality is also good.

For me, anything that's for winter, you have to go to The North Face. They have just about anything you might need and they know which particular products would fit a particular type of activity. If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, you can just describe to the sales associates what is the activity that you plan to use it for.

Also, they have several items which are convertible. For instance, I once bought a winter jacket which can eventually become a rain jacket, a windbreaker, a simple daily jacket, or a really thick winter jacket. It was around $399, but I think with the different functions, it's worth it. One of the pieces in that set is actually waterproof and rather light, and I have used it 3 times already for biking during light rain and it was effective in keeping me dry. Not sure though how it will stand during really heavy rain.

I have nev the tried North Face. It seems to be quite great and is definitely useful. But I do not think there is any thing better than the Amazon. They are totally awesome I believe.

I use north face. It us honestly the best thing to happen to me. Like someone said above it us quite steep but honestly it works wonders and therefore it us worth it. Its an investment that you won't forget.

I don't have a problem paying a little more if its worth it. I'm going to have to check some of these out, myself.

I do believe it is best bought from amazon.There is nothing better than trying to obtain it from retail shops as the pric ecan be just too high. Locally boight stuffs are much more cheaper.