Wobbly Bike shows its worth

Danny Colyer

Guest
Since her legs grew long enough to reach the floor, Jenny has been
getting more and more capable on what she calls "my wobbly bike"
(probably the best bargain we've had from Lidl).

Here's a short video that I shot this morning in my back garden:
<url:http://www.colyer.plus.com/jenny/z-060430jennygarden.avi> (1.30MB)

and here's another taken this afternoon in the park:
<url:http://www.colyer.plus.com/jenny/z-060430jennypark.avi> (1.66MB)

Anyway, this afternoon we've decided that it would be hard to justify
waiting for Christmas to get Jenny a bike with pedals (and Mummy has an
urge to see Jenny riding a proper bike without stabilisers before any of
her friends). So I'm going to be having a chat with Father Christmas to
see if he can arrange an early delivery.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since her legs grew long enough to reach the floor, Jenny has been getting
> more and more capable on what she calls "my wobbly bike" (probably the
> best bargain we've had from Lidl).
>
> Here's a short video that I shot this morning in my back garden:
> <url:http://www.colyer.plus.com/jenny/z-060430jennygarden.avi> (1.30MB)
>
> and here's another taken this afternoon in the park:
> <url:http://www.colyer.plus.com/jenny/z-060430jennypark.avi> (1.66MB)
>
> Anyway, this afternoon we've decided that it would be hard to justify
> waiting for Christmas to get Jenny a bike with pedals (and Mummy has an
> urge to see Jenny riding a proper bike without stabilisers before any of
> her friends). So I'm going to be having a chat with Father Christmas to
> see if he can arrange an early delivery.

Absolutely. Definitely time for pedals.

And brakes!

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since her legs grew long enough to reach the floor, Jenny has been getting
> more and more capable on what she calls "my wobbly bike" (probably the
> best bargain we've had from Lidl).

Lovely!

Yes, she now needs a bike with pedals and no stabilsers. Something nice and
light in carbon, fitted out in Campag Record methinks :-D

Cheers, helen s

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:49:54 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Since her legs grew long enough to reach the floor, Jenny has been
> getting more and more capable on what she calls "my wobbly bike"
> (probably the best bargain we've had from Lidl).

I'm thinking of knocking up something similar for my son. I'd like to go to
the effort of making a "Like-a-Bike" knockoff (as it's a beautiful design),
but having just bought a house that needs a lot of work I feel it might be
a case of ripping the pedals, bottom bracket and chain of a "normal" kids
bike.

> Anyway, this afternoon we've decided that it would be hard to justify
> waiting for Christmas to get Jenny a bike with pedals (and Mummy has an
> urge to see Jenny riding a proper bike without stabilisers before any of
> her friends). So I'm going to be having a chat with Father Christmas to
> see if he can arrange an early delivery.

Careful, that Father Christmas can be a tight sod. I still haven't received
my Greenspeed Trike that I asked him for a few years back! Maybe I'm aiming
too high for my level of good behaviour :)

Graeme

wafflycat wrote:

> Yes, she now needs a bike with pedals and no stabilsers. Something nice
> and light in carbon, fitted out in Campag Record methinks :-D

Nathan outgrown another bike?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Graeme Dods wrote:

> Careful, that Father Christmas can be a tight sod. I still haven't received
> my Greenspeed Trike that I asked him for a few years back! Maybe I'm aiming
> too high for my level of good behaviour :)

As Emo Philips said "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a
new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I
stole one and asked Him to forgive me. "

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:49:54 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:
>>Since her legs grew long enough to reach the floor, Jenny has been
>>getting more and more capable on what she calls "my wobbly bike"
>>(probably the best bargain we've had from Lidl).

> I'm thinking of knocking up something similar for my son. I'd like to go to
> the effort of making a "Like-a-Bike" knockoff (as it's a beautiful design),
> but having just bought a house that needs a lot of work I feel it might be
> a case of ripping the pedals, bottom bracket and chain of a "normal" kids
> bike.

They were seriously cheap (about £20) at Lidl. I was tempted, and I
don't have any children. Maybe they're turning up on EBay now?

Colin McKenzie

> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> Yes, she now needs a bike with pedals and no stabilsers. Something nice
>> and light in carbon, fitted out in Campag Record methinks :-D
>>

> Nathan outgrown another bike?

I hope not! He just got his Cervelo last summer. Upon which he did a new PB
for a 10 this morning :)

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:
> Yes, she now needs a bike with pedals and no stabilsers. Something nice and
> light in carbon, fitted out in Campag Record methinks :-D

We're leaning heavily towards the Islabikes CNOC14 (with stabilisers
removed):
<url:http://www.islabikes.com/bike_pages/cnoc14.html>

Jenny's inside leg is 36cm, which is at the bottom of the size range for
either the CNOC14 or the Puky Z2:
<url:http://www.puky.net/homepage/produkte/babyborn/4105.htm>

The CNOC14 has the big advantage of being lighter.

I'll try LBS and have a look at second-hand ads first, though.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> We're leaning heavily towards the Islabikes CNOC14 (with stabilisers
> removed):
> <url:http://www.islabikes.com/bike_pages/cnoc14.html>

The Isla Bikes look a nice range for kids.

Cheers, helen s

On Mon, 01 May 2006 11:20:51 +0100, Colin McKenzie wrote:

> They were seriously cheap (about ?20) at Lidl. I was tempted, and I
> don't have any children. Maybe they're turning up on EBay now?

I know, I remember it at the time, but as one of URC's foreign exiles
(Australia) I'm a bit far from the nearest Lidl. I was *very* tempted to
phone one of the family back home and get them to buy one and send it over.
I kick myself on a semi-regular basis for not having done so.

Graeme

Tony W wrote:

> Definitely time for pedals.

Is this a brand recommendation? ;-)