Zipp Carbon Wheels

Rob

Guest
Hello I just got a Zipp 3000 Carbon Wheel...even the rim seems to be
Carbon...do I need to use a certain brake pad with this wheel ?

Thanks

Rob

Rob wrote:
> Hello I just got a Zipp 3000 Carbon Wheel...even the rim seems to be
> Carbon...do I need to use a certain brake pad with this wheel ?
>

> Thanks
>
> Rob

Yes, if the braking surface is carbon. The biggest no-no is using the
same pad on an aluminum rim, then a carbon rim. The brake blocks pick up
teeny pieces of metal which can tear up the carbon rim.

Thanks...do I need to buy a certain type of pad then ? or just use new break
pads when I use the zipp carbon rim wheel ?

Thanks

Rob

Rob wrote:
> Thanks...do I need to buy a certain type of pad then ? or just use

new break
> pads when I use the zipp carbon rim wheel ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
>

> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Rob

> > Yes, if the braking surface is carbon. The biggest no-no is using

the same
> > pad on an aluminum rim, then a carbon rim. The brake blocks pick up

teeny
> > pieces of metal which can tear up the carbon rim.

Call Zipp and see what they say. Most carbon wheels require special
pads (either made of cork or special rubber compounds), and you don't
want to risk damaging your pricey wheels.

Rob wrote:
> Thanks...do I need to buy a certain type of pad then ? or just use new break
> pads when I use the zipp carbon rim wheel ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
>

>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Rob

>>Yes, if the braking surface is carbon. The biggest no-no is using the same
>>pad on an aluminum rim, then a carbon rim. The brake blocks pick up teeny
>>pieces of metal which can tear up the carbon rim.

Zipp and others make special for carbon blocks but just about anything
will work, just be eaten up quickly. Zipp contends that Campag blocks,
the standard ones, are bad since they make for a lot of heat.