Bolla cola vita vs Jittery Joes

Bikerecker

Guest
The NJ based BCV( BCV is a helluva lot easier to type out) team was in SC this weekend for the come
see me crit and Patriot's trail RR. A few of the Jittery Joe's guys were there, too, so a show down
between the two DIII teams, both of whom have been discussed on this NG, was in the works. In the
crit, a 36 jmile race in the rain, JJ's sprinter, Jeff Hopkins, who has an NRC win under his belt
already this year, blew everyone away in the last lap. Hard to call it a sprint, he had a huge gap
at the line, coasted across. Might have been a BCV rider in the top 5, couldn't tell. In the 110
mile RR, both teams missed the early, and ultimately successful, break and either couldn't or
wouldn't make any real efforts at bringing it back. Hopkins won the field sprint. The friendly Assie
is a small, sort of nondescript rider, with an amazing jump. Should score a real Pro contract in the
near future. Another note on BCV: Kent Bostick showed up this morning in one of their jerseys, after
racing yesterday in his USPS master'steam garb, as did Thad Dullin, the young NC rider who has been
the dominanat amateur in the SE through the spring. Weird thing was, Thad told me that he was riding
with Kent, but not for the Pro sqad from NJ. Kent has taken the promising Dullin under his wing, it
appears. Greg Miller .

One correction, Greg. Thad is from South Carolina, not North Carolina. He's from Clemson, to be
precise. He's ridden me off his wheel quite a few times on our local Tuesday night rides out of
Pendleton, SC. We'll miss him at those rides this year. He also had two buddies from Clemson who are
making a mark in the SE this year with Realitybikes. Reed (Watson?) and Nathan Race.

I'm just an old poser. I remember hanging on to these three for the first half of our ride one
Tuesday last year. We hit this long flat stretch into a headwind. Reed and Nathan were on the front.
Thad was riding third. I had Thad's wheel and there were a couple of guys on my wheel. We were doing
about 28 mph and my tounge was absolutely dragging the ground. I couldn't believe we were doing that
kind of pace into that wind. There was about a
1/2 mile of about 3% uphill grade coming up. Just as we approached the bottom, I heard Thad say to
Reed and Nathan, "OK, time to pick it up." I was stunned as they smoothly escalated the pace to
just over 30 mph and disappeared up that rise as I and my fellow posers tried to manage something
over 20 mph with our lead-out group gone.

I had heard that Thad is riding for Bolla... "as an amateur." No salary, but they're
providing equipment and entry fees. This is in the wake of some other failed deal out of
Atlanta ... D&R Sportivo?

Anyway, thanks for the post. I've been wanting to follow Thad and had been having a hard time
getting any info.

Bob C. "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The NJ based BCV( BCV is a helluva lot easier to type out) team was in SC
this
> weekend for the come see me crit and Patriot's trail RR. A few of the
Jittery
> Joe's guys were there, too, so a show down between the two DIII teams,
both of
> whom have been discussed on this NG, was in the works. In the crit, a 36 jmile race in the rain,
> JJ's sprinter, Jeff Hopkins, who
has
> an NRC win under his belt already this year, blew everyone away in the
last
> lap. Hard to call it a sprint, he had a huge gap at the line, coasted
across.
> Might have been a BCV rider in the top 5, couldn't tell. In the 110 mile RR, both teams missed
> the early, and ultimately
successful,
> break and either couldn't or wouldn't make any real efforts at bringing
it
> back. Hopkins won the field sprint. The friendly Assie is a small, sort
of
> nondescript rider, with an amazing jump. Should score a real Pro
contract in
> the near future. Another note on BCV: Kent Bostick showed up this morning in one of their jerseys,
> after racing yesterday in his USPS master'steam garb, as did Thad Dullin, the young NC rider who
> has been the dominanat amateur in the SE
through
> the spring. Weird thing was, Thad told me that he was riding with Kent,
but
> not for the Pro sqad from NJ. Kent has taken the promising Dullin under
his
> wing, it appears. Greg Miller .

> [Jeff] Should score a real Pro contract in the near future.

I could be mistaken in what Jeff wants to do, but I don't think he really wants/needs a contract
with his sprinting legs. He did, after all, win $10k last year (Keene Criterium in Keene, NH) with
no team support. Split that exactly one way and that's still $10k....

With a "real pro contract," Jeff might have a more stable income and "better team suport," but he'd
probably end up being the workhorse to suport the team. This same scenerio was played out by Chris
Pic of the then Zaxby's (predecessor to Jittery Joe's) when he went to Mercury.

Oh, and for those of you that don't know Jeff, he's always been an amazing sprinter/track rider and
had won the '97 junior worlds in the kilo.

Of course, Jeff is still fairly young (24) and I'm speculating as I haven't talked to him
in ages....

[hows THAT for a tangent?]

seeya, -k [remove 'at' blah blah blah]

ks wrote in message ...

>> [Jeff] Should score a real Pro contract in the near future.
>
>I could be mistaken in what Jeff wants to do, but I don't think he really wants/needs a contract
>with his sprinting legs. He did, after all, win $10k last year (Keene Criterium in Keene, NH) with
>no team support. Split that exactly one way and that's still $10k....

Are you sure you got that 10K figure right? I did that race and I don't recall first place being
that much. Even if he won some primes along the away I don't think his take was $10,000. This year's
price list is $3,300 over 20 places plus an additional $1,700 for primes - $5,000 total. Perhaps
first was $1,000?

Wade

>over 20 places plus an additional $1,700 for primes - $5,000 total. Perhaps first was $1,000?

oops. thats what i get for not checking and having jittery fingers today.

i could have sworn there was some race where he won a pretty good cash prize, but looking at his
entries from 2002, i have absolutely no clue why i even thought that.

oh well. -k

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
>I had heard that Thad is riding for Bolla... "as an amateur." No
salary,
> but they're providing equipment and entry fees.

Actually that would be the same deal the rest of the team gets. There are 162 riders on D3 team.
I'd guess about 40 are getting some kind of 'salary'. The rest just ride for free-sure they get
equipment, fees, clothing, and travel...but so do 40+ guys on some of the local SoCal masters
teams. I'd bet that the USPS Masters team has more money and better product support than most of
the D3 teams.

Chris

[email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >Subject: Re: Bolla cola vita vs Jittery Joes From: [email protected] (Chris Daggs) Date:
> >4/8/03 3:08 PM Central Daylight Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
> >
> >"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> >>I had heard that Thad is riding for Bolla... "as an amateur." No
> salary,
> >> but they're providing equipment and entry fees.
> >
> >Actually that would be the same deal the rest of the team gets. There are 162 riders on D3 team.
> >I'd guess about 40 are getting some kind of 'salary'. The rest just ride for free-sure they get
> >equipment, fees, clothing, and travel...but so do 40+ guys on some of the local SoCal masters
> >teams. I'd bet that the USPS Masters team has more money and better product support than most of
> >the D3 teams.
> >
> >Chris
>

> there are also some amateur teams left that have more money and better support than some to the
> lesser D3 teams.
>

> jason

Why do you feel that you have to constantly remind us of that? Stop trying to show off for the
cooganheim.

Deez