Cycle safety

fisher

Guest
Hi
New to all this.
What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
what other protection?

Thanks

fisher wrote:
> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?

A soft padded lockable case should keep your helmet safe.

"fisher" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?

Get some training, keep your bike in good condition, be seen and be
observant.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Richard Bates wrote:
> fisher wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> New to all this.
>> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
>> what other protection?

> A soft padded lockable case should keep your helmet safe.

don't forget to put the helmet in the lockable case before loosing the key.

fisher wrote:

> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,

Have a read of CycleCraft by John Franklin.
Its all in there.

> what other protection?

A good lock is useful, and some weatherproof clothing.

John B

On 25/02/2007 11:02, fisher said,
> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?

(Runs and ducks for cover - the H-word was mentioned...)

I think the general consensus on h**mets on this group is that you can
wear one if you want to, but don't expect it to help much if you have an
accident. There are, of course views, in either direction from that
comment :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

John B <[email protected]>typed

> fisher wrote:

> > Hi
> > New to all this.
> > What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,

> Have a read of CycleCraft by John Franklin.
> Its all in there.

> > what other protection?

> A good lock is useful, and some weatherproof clothing.

> John B

I'd suggest the Highway Code as well as Cyclecraft. Remember the HC is
*advisory* unless it specifies what you MUST or MUST NOT do. Not all of
its advice to cyclists is sound, but you should know what the advice is.

Get training for all the family...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

fisher wrote on 25/02/2007 11:02 +0100:
> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?

Buy a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklin, read it and follow the advice
therein. http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

On helmets, Malcolm Wardlaw's paper on the subject is a good
introduction: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/321/7276/1582 and for
more detailed information http://cyclehelmets.org or the helmets link on
the Cyclecraft website above. Specifically for kids, the National
Children's Bureau report is worth reading:
http://www.ncb.org.uk/Page.asp?originx1444gb_23718458425669d91l2583383929

High visibility clothing has not got the nickname of urban camouflage
for no reason but reflectives at night are worth having IMO.

Don't be tempted to ride on cycle facilities - they are much more
dangerous in general than the roads. Keep your bike well maintained
particularly the brakes, and get some good lights for at night to a) be
seen and b) secondarily to see by if you are on unlit roads.

Overall though remember that despite common perceptions, cycling is no
more dangerous than walking.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

fisher wrote:

> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?

Some of the locals have put together some stuff about cycling
with/for kids: see
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclingchild.htm

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclesafe.htm is part of
that site specifically addressing safety.

In summary, *active* safety, stuff that stops you having an
accident to start with like knowledge, awareness, skill and a
mechanically sound bike, are the Important Bits.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
> New to all this.
> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
> what other protection?
>
> Thanks

The best way to keep as safe as possible is to read, inwardly digest & use
the techniques in 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin.

See

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-...f=pd_ka_1/202-9385029-1379804?ie=UTF8&s=books

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/29wx5o

'Cyclecraft' forms the basis for the new national cycle training standards.
Use it and you'll learn to cycle safely and assertively.

Bike safety?
1. Get a bike that fits and keep it in good working order.
2. Learn to cycle considerately, safely & assertively (not aggressively):
Cyclecraft. Possibly get some cycle training.
3. Use lights front & rear when cycling in the dark or low visibility
conditions
4. Wear gloves. Will protect delicate skin on fingers & hands if you fall.
5. Wearing something that is reflective at night also aids you being seen by
other road users.
6. Wear a lid if you want to but do not assume that by virtue of wearing a
lid you are somehow wearing 'lid of invulnerability' that will keep you safe
from all hazards. Lids have their uses - they are designed to offer some
protection in low impact collisions - that is all.
7. If you haven't cycled before/done much exercise before - start off on
short journeys and gradually build up mileages.
8. Wear comfortable clothing. You don't have to wear acres of Lycra in
retina-burning colours if you don't want to, but whatever you wear, make
sure it's comfortable. Things such as: not too tight, not chafing, not going
to get caught in the chain or the spokes, flat seams. Consider seriously
wearing a pair of padded cycle shorts (under your trousers if you don't
fancy showing your Lycra clad bits to the general public). Padded cycle
shorts *do* make a difference to comfort, especially on longer rides.
8. Enjoy your cycling. Have fun. On the whole it's not hugely dangerous to
cycle on roads and there are health benefits to cycling.
9. Have fun.
10. Did I mention have fun?

Hope this is of use.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi
>> New to all this.
>> What's the latest thoughts on bike safety - kids and adults - helmets,
>> what other protection?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> The best way to keep as safe as possible is to read, inwardly digest & use
> the techniques in 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin.
>
> See
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-...f=pd_ka_1/202-9385029-1379804?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> or
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/29wx5o
>
> 'Cyclecraft' forms the basis for the new national cycle training
> standards. Use it and you'll learn to cycle safely and assertively.
>
> Bike safety?
> 1. Get a bike that fits and keep it in good working order.
> 2. Learn to cycle considerately, safely & assertively (not aggressively):
> Cyclecraft. Possibly get some cycle training.

< heavily snipped to save space - not to cut Helens reply>

> 9. Have fun.
> 10. Did I mention have fun?
>

> Hope this is of use.

I knew that Helen would produce an eminently sensible and "informationful"
reply. Especially 9 & 10. And you will!

I returned to cycling 4 years ago at the age of 66 after an adult life away
from it. And my personal life, in the last 4 years, has changed beyond
recognition. And Helen is right -- it is fun --- really -- even when it is
horizontal rain in a head wind and the waterproofs leaks are joining up with
the wetness of your sweat ( yes you sweat even when it is blizzarding!) --
and you arrive at a camp site -- get the miniscule tent up and the stew on
the spirit stove -- and suddenly it really is fun!

I suspect that I have had more real "fun" on a day to day basis in the last
4 years than in the previous 30! I have only ever seen one snake in England
( seen lots elsewhere -- even in my bungalow in Oman) and that was late last
year alongside the river Don near Doncaster -- it moved so fast I don't know
whether it was an adder or a grass snake.

And your children will build up a huge amount of memories, fun,
disasters, -- so much more than anyone else. I didn't do it with my 2
ads -- but we travelled Europe camping everywhere in a car and had second
class fun. If I did it again it would be by bike!
Sunday lunch is immeasurably nicer after a 15 mile bash on the bike with
your children -- sadly the day will come when they can beat you in a real
sprint -- I can still beat my 9 yr old grandson James --- but I suspect
that this will be that last year!

Riding a bike is just fantastic -- all these w/enders spending money to go
20, 50, 80 miles in a car when you can rediscover your own area and find so
much pleasure on a bike

At the end I will say that I ride mainly on the road when touring, training,
shopping -- but here are lots of routes you can ride off road.

I do tend to rabbit on a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry got a bit
verbose!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote: [...]
> Don't be tempted to ride on cycle facilities - they are much more
> dangerous in general than the roads. [...]

Bah! Use the good ones (mostly medium-to-long-distance car-free bypasses,
contraflow lanes and no-motor-vehicles entries) and avoid the bad ones
(most shared-use pavements and ones with fences littering the entrance).

You'll soon learn whether any near you are any good and for a spotter's
guide to bad ones, browse
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month
- I'm rather surprised none of the **** I've discovered in Bristol so
far seems to have appeared there.
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, trainer, koha dev,

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:
> [...] Consider seriously
> wearing a pair of padded cycle shorts (under your trousers if you don't
> fancy showing your Lycra clad bits to the general public). Padded cycle
> shorts *do* make a difference to comfort, especially on longer rides.

But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?
I've never liked the whole idea of special clothes for cycling and I've
not had any discomfort since getting some sort of gel saddle (whose
branding has now long since weathered away) when I was commuting daily.

The other points seem mostly good ideas.
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, trainer, koha dev,

"MJ Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:
>> [...] Consider seriously
>> wearing a pair of padded cycle shorts (under your trousers if you don't
>> fancy showing your Lycra clad bits to the general public). Padded cycle
>> shorts *do* make a difference to comfort, especially on longer rides.

> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?
> I've never liked the whole idea of special clothes for cycling and I've
> not had any discomfort since getting some sort of gel saddle (whose
> branding has now long since weathered away) when I was commuting daily.
>
> The other points seem mostly good ideas.

Soft saddle does not equate to comfort. Indeed a soft saddle can be painful.
If a soft saddle equated to comfort then the pros would be using them given
the number of hours a day they spend in the saddle.

The primary key to a comfortable saddle is fit. That, combined with padded
cycle shorts, which is where the padding needs to be = comfort.

On 25/02/2007 18:10, MJ Ray said,

> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?

I know a saddle is a very personal issue, but I've always found soft
saddles more uncomfortable than hard saddles. Soft saddles seem to
squish into the wrong places, whereas with a hard saddle you sit on it,
not in it. For commuting I ride a Brooks B17 without any special
clothing, but I do wear padded underwear on my MTB or for longer
distance on my commuter/tourer. Not that I use my tourer for much more
than commuting or shopping these days!

I think the padding on a pair of Enduro liners might be a bit excessive
though - it's like walking with a loaf of bread between your legs :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

MJ Ray wrote:

> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?
> I've never liked the whole idea of special clothes for cycling and I've
> not had any discomfort since getting some sort of gel saddle (whose
> branding has now long since weathered away) when I was commuting daily.

I was very impressed with my first gel saddle, much better than its
predecessor. When it finally went I thought I'd try a Brooks
because despite being hard enough to use as an offensive weapon
they do have a reputation for amazing comfort... A reputation I
discovered is fully justified, with the hard Brooks being much
better than the soft Avocet despite me thinking the Avoicet was
really good. Turns out it's about shape more than anything else,
and "adaptive" isn't necessarily a good thing.

I wouldn't like to cycle all day on one of my 3 Brooks saddles
without padded shorts, but most of my cycling journeys are less
than that and it's certainly not necessary to wear padding on
shorter jaunts. Which suits me because I can't be bothered to
change into special clothes for a quick hack either. Up to about
10 miles I don't even think about it, over 10 I'd probably take the
recumbent where it's a non-issue in any case. Mainly use the
padded shorts on the unicycle.

Pete.
--

On Feb 25, 1:10 pm, MJ Ray <[email protected]> wrote:
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:
> > [...] Consider seriously
> > wearing a pair of padded cycle shorts (under your trousers if you don't
> > fancy showing your Lycra clad bits to the general public). Padded cycle
> > shorts *do* make a difference to comfort, especially on longer rides.

> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?
> I've never liked the whole idea of special clothes for cycling and I've
> not had any discomfort since getting some sort of gel saddle (whose
> branding has now long since weathered away) when I was commuting daily.

Yes.

Or, for a longer answer, specialized bicycle clothing is just that.
Specialized for cycling and we ,as cyclists, have had roughly 150 or
so years to get it right or closer to right than riding in street
clothes. There are reasons that people wear the stuff and it is not
just to look flashy. I tend to look like a green and yellow bumblebee
in full kit but the comfort is well worth it.

For short distances (2-35km ) it really does not seem to matter what
you wear but on longer rides, and here I'd say anything over 10km, the
specialized clothing really begins to pay off.

Tight-fitting cycling clothes have less wind resistance, the shorts
really are more comfortable than your normal y-fronts or thong. Most
cycling clothes wick better which can be very important in very hot or
cold weather. Cycling shoes give better support when on the
bicycle. The jackets and jerseys with the scalloped backs keep you a
lot warmer than when you're riding with half your back naked. And keep
the mud off if you don't have fenders.

For anything under the said 10 km I usually don't bother if I need to
be in street clothes at the other end. Still I have walked into my
local pub and been stared at because I was in a suit and tie. But it
was on my 10 km commute and I had a shower and change facilities at
work. :)

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On 2007-02-25 20:34:42 +0000, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> said:

> MJ Ray wrote:
>
>> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?
>> I've never liked the whole idea of special clothes for cycling and I've
>> not had any discomfort since getting some sort of gel saddle (whose
>> branding has now long since weathered away) when I was commuting daily.

> I was very impressed with my first gel saddle, much better than its
> predecessor. When it finally went I thought I'd try a Brooks because
> despite being hard enough to use as an offensive weapon they do have a
> reputation for amazing comfort... A reputation I discovered is fully
> justified, with the hard Brooks being much better than the soft Avocet
> despite me thinking the Avoicet was really good. Turns out it's about
> shape more than anything else, and "adaptive" isn't necessarily a good
> thing.
>
> I wouldn't like to cycle all day on one of my 3 Brooks saddles without
> padded shorts, but most of my cycling journeys are less than that and
> it's certainly not necessary to wear padding on shorter jaunts. Which
> suits me because I can't be bothered to change into special clothes for
> a quick hack either. Up to about 10 miles I don't even think about it,
> over 10 I'd probably take the recumbent where it's a non-issue in any
> case. Mainly use the padded shorts on the unicycle.
>
> Pete.

There is no substitute for a nice hammock seat.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, MJ Ray
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:
>> [...] Consider seriously
>> wearing a pair of padded cycle shorts (under your trousers if you don't
>> fancy showing your Lycra clad bits to the general public). Padded cycle
>> shorts *do* make a difference to comfort, especially on longer rides.

> But do they give any benefit over using a good adaptive soft saddle?

Yes. Adaptive soft saddles cause injuries and make you sterile.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.