Did You Ride Today?

Haven't done a lot of riding the last two weeks. My dad came pretty darn close to dying two weeks ago, and I've been spending as much time at the hospital with him as I can. But he does remind me to get out on the bike, because he also knows that my happy place (doctor). So today was half day Friday so I got out for a nice 43 mile ride before going to see him. Today was his first day on solid food, and he is getting back his sense of humor so that's a good sign. Not worried about him dying because he knows the way home and to me that's all that counts, because he'll win his final race. Was just a plain fun day to be out on the bike.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-h3V1NtDA

It was about 55 degrees when I headed out this morning for the Pennsylvania border. It did warm up to about 69 degrees by the end of the ride, but it was a little colder weather than I like for long'ish rides.

Climbing was right at 3000' and the wind was running 8 to 10 MPH in what a cross head wind going out and a cross tail wind coming back. Perfect!

I found several 'treasures' along the way. A decent steak knife. I wrapped the blade in cardboard before stashing it in the center jersey pocket along side the Silca EOLO ride wallet. The knife will make a good bench tool out in the garage. Next was a 10 MM Craftsman Made in the U.S.A. deep well socket, 1/4" drive. Lastly, a Harbor Freight Pittsburg Forge (the Pittsburg over in China!) 6" Adjustable (Crescent style) wrench. Bonus!

I did a similarly routed version of this ride a couple years ago. Some of you might remember the sign post at the Ohio-Pennsylvania border I posted pictures of.

Reactions: steve
Post for Sunday, 09/10/2017:

It only got up to 68 degrees today. The wind was steady at 8 to 10 MPH and on the headwind legs it was very noticeable. At least the sun was out and the air smelled great with the last of the hay drying down in the fields.

52 miles with just over 2000' of climbing on a rolling course. I kept it steady in the cross wind legs and throttled back a little into the wind in hopes of catching a tailwind over the last half of the course. Even as I opened the pace up I kept it reasonable until the last 12 miles of flat work was all that was left. Dumped what was left in the tank and cruised for home.

I'm really having trouble trying to post pics from yesterday. Nothing is working...server errors...invalid message...yada yada...no upload works...Photobucket links don't work...copy & paste loads a pic but the post reply will not go through.

I could not even post this text reply from my home PC. Same problem at my work PC. I can not post anything. Weird...

Finally!

Well, I still cannot get pics to upload, but text seems to work.

Just 19 miles this afternoon with 550' of climbing under sunny sky with the temperature right at 70 degrees. The wind was 8 to 10 MPH and a steady high tempo workout was on the agenda.

A fun ride with almost zero traffic.

Steve, I figured it was on your end. STRAVA is also having some problems with file uploads and right now the upload status bar has disappeared from my screen. The files are uploading to STRAVA, but there is no indication that they are doing so! LOL!

Websites and server hardware and cable connections...it's a complicated biz and on my end the DSL is not so fast and I just went through a 2-day outage due to a fiber optic cable being cut by a contractor...somewhere.

I'm still having difficulty uploading a couple pictures from Saturday's ride. Maybe file size related? I'm still getting a 'Server Error' message and an 'Invalid Message' message. I'll keep trying.

Nope...this is after using the 'Upload' button below the text box field in and attempt to post a jpg.

The following error occurred:
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Last edited:
Wilier%20Gran%20Turismo%20GTS%20Pennsylvania%20Border%20Ride%2009-09-2017%20Pic2_zpsbddskd4o.jpg

Edit,
Pic shows during post attempt prior to hitting the Post Submit button and during a post edit, but is the dreaded 'Red 'X' as posted. This is from using the 'Image' icon from the tools bar and importing from Photobucket.

Well darn! I've been trying to load pics from Sat and Sunday with no luck.

Upload files button and still not working. :(

23 miles under overcast sky that was getting deeper blue as the ride went on. The wind was easy enough at 6 to 10 MPH.

A little climbing effort with 1250' of vertical with the RPM's going like a Chris Froome wannabee. A fun effort, for sure. I felt great and kept the tempo high everywhere on the course. Power looked decent, recovery was fast enough and going into the red was even fun this afternoon.

I loaded up the bike for the drive back to the farm and...it started raining lightly. Typical for this Summer!

Steve, thank you!

A couple of pics from last Saturday's ride over to the Pennsylvania border and back. Not as cool as Mr. Beanz bikini pics, for sure!

Wilier Gran Turismo GTS Pennsylvania Border Ride 09-09-2017 Pic5.jpg

Wilier Gran Turismo GTS Pennsylvania Border Ride 09-09-2017 Pic7.jpg

Reactions: rm57 and Mr. Beanz
Ha ha, not many bikinis this weekend. Maybe one but we have been avoiding the trail as much as possible with the homeless camps out there. Maybe one!

000bikini.JPG

Saturday was a 32 mile ride with 4,150 ft of gain. Tried the hydration pack as there is no water up there. When I get into better shape, I'll ditch the water supply ha ha!

Sunday was a 32 mile trail ride with Gina and friends.

091017A.jpg

091017B.jpg

21430224_1705474696191688_5947621392983450399_n.jpg

21432959_1705474752858349_3227408523031971519_n.jpg

21558883_1705474699525021_4760908317104338497_n.jpg

Reactions: rm57
Great pics, Mr. B.! Is that Mike or Jose on the Spesh? He's looking pro!

It got all the way to 80 degrees today, but the dark clouds had already rolling in by the time I got outside to ride. The wind was up just a little at 6 to 11 MPH, but it was time to roll out...screw the incoming rain! Let's ride!

24 miles with a light 700' of climbing. Kept trying to keep the tempo and workload light after the last few pain sessions. For the most part I kept it under control.

The rain stayed West of here and it's supposed to hit now at around 10 PM and rain through mid-morning, tomorrow. Then nice for Friday and the weekend. I'll believe it when I ride it!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Was out in the woods today with my Bikemanforu Jersey. Got in a little over 2 hour out and about the lake area. I don't get to catch The Bikemanforu Show live to often, but I do watch it when it uploads on You Tube. I am always amazed at the people that come in every week for air or to have him fix a flat. He does have a very different customer base than most shops because he is in West Hampton, NY. Check it out if you get a chance.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDwmJkTNjE

Reactions: rm57