Did You Ride Today?

Summer has made a return for a few days. Went out after service for a light rolling 35 miles and enjoyed every bit of the 91 degrees. I was planning on a longer hiller route but I was feeling a pull on the backside of my left thigh early on and just couldn't get it completely loose so I didn't want to over do it.

89 degrees, sunny and the wind a low 6 to 7 MPH.

24 miles with 850' of climbing and I did a pretty decent tempo considering how dead the legs were. This has been another great Summer to get long, hard blocks of training miles and hours in!

Damned near got hit by a passing pickup truck pulling a landscape trailer full of mowers. Guy passed and swung that trailer hard to get it back in our lane to avoid an oncoming car.

**** poor place to pass and you could not have got a 6" ruler in between my left foot and the fender on that trailer. I screamed my lungs out at him and flipped him off repeatedly. I'll see him soon...

Another 89 degree, sunny day! The wind was a light 3 to 6 MPH on top of that! Perfect! Let's ride!

25 Miles with a light 725' of climbing fun. Super easy course that is made for bursts of speed for 2 or 3 miles at a time.

Lots of sweating under the afternoon sun, but man does that feel good! The Wilier rolled smoothly and felt light and snappy under my feet. I installed a new Selle Italia Flite saddle and it just disappears underneath me...comfortable and a perfect fit.

Alternating between high Watt TT work and staying on top of whatever-gear the miles were over before I started to have fun! I wanted to stay out longer, but there was work to be done.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
84 degrees, a little humid and the sky went from light rain and overcast right before I saddled up to sunny. The wind was up a bit a 12 to 14 MPH after the light rain shower moved through.

26 miles at recovery to moderate tempo. No heavy efforts thrown in this afternoon. Only 720' of light and easy climbing. A fun ride just to shake the legs out.

What happen to the temps ? Went form mid 80's and humid to 72 degrees with a 10-15 mph wind. I almost had the arm warmers on after work today. I was going out to do a nice easy 24 mile recovery ride, and at 2 miles in on the first climb I was searching for another gear because I felt gassed. By mile 8 it was a whole new game and the legs were ready to hammer out the rest of the ride forget about recovery ride. Oh how I love riding, one minute you want to turn back and go relax on the back deck. and not see the bike for a bit. Then the next minute your ready to take on the world.

Zipp, you should have yelled the old Gandy Dancers', "OUTSIDE!!! Everybody OUTSIDE!!!" safety call to get outside the rails fast!

Only 73 degrees today as a cold front went through last night, but is was sunny and the wind was running a stead 12 to 13 MPH.

Just 22 miles with 775' of climbing on a scenic back road course that loops through two small towns. A medium tempo workout. I did hit 193 BPM working hard into the wind on an exposed section of flat stuff. I didn't even realize how hard I was going at it until i was gassed and downshifting and reaching for something a little more reasonable!

A fun ride!

Wow! Zipp, we almost had the same reaction to that wind and effort...GASSED! I was not particularly stiff and after yesterday's semi-recovery ride I should have been better.

193 BPM on the flat? I didn't think the wind was that bad. Guess I was wrong because I was right there with you...in the red zone too long and in need of a few seconds to recover. Then back on the gas!

Reactions: zipp2001
Ride for Friday, 09/30/2017:

Just 16 Miles with no time to post it up yesterday.

Windy at 12 to 13 MPH steady. The gusts were up to 24 MPH while I was riding and maybe as high as 35 MPH! Yeah, windy. Just a flat ride with only 400' of climbing at moderate tempo. The sun was out during the ride and there was moderate rain that came through in a narrow front right after I finished.

Once, again, rain drops hit the windshield of the truck as I drove home after the ride.

Only 62 degrees today, but it was sunny and the sky was clear. The wind was 8 to 10 MPH and I climbed a moderate 1150' in 31 miles.

A decent tempo considering the cooler temperature and a headwind running up the opening 15-mile leg. A nice day for a ride so I kept my foot in it and was moving well into the wind and surprising myself with how easy it felt on some of the stretches of road.

67 degrees and sunny with the wind at 3 to 8 MPH. And a new rear tire on! Let's ride!

42 miles with 2025' of climbing. A few steep walls to climb, but the wind was the killer again. I can't figure out how a 3 to 8 MPH wind was working me over the way it was, but it did.

I stayed low and flat and got the speed up as much as I could and sooner or later the wind was beating me back dow. Still a fun ride!

Oh yeah, the Garmin Soft Strop HRM died. Again. That makes 4 or 5 of them to bite the dust. Time for a Wahoo Tickr or any other brand!

Dam CAMPYBOB our weather conditions were the same, and I to was wondering how I got beat by a not so high wind. I was only able to get 36 miles, because to many little fall projects to finish off.

Last year I quit about this time. I don't like riding when it's below 60F but I'll ride down to 50. Last year I was done at 1820 miles and this year I've been shooting for 2K all year, would've easily made it but I had 2x 2wk stretches with no or minimal miles.

I got off the couch today and did 32 fairly flat miles that puts me at 1820. It's all about the numbers! 67 rides averaging 27miles in the bank. I got to keep going - my wife says it's about bragging right, oh yes it is!

I miss those 5:30am starts with no traffic!!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
40 miles with Gina and Aimee today. Gina hasn't ridden much lately so I was aiming for a 16.0 average on this breezy day. But ended up with a 16.5, Gina looked stronger than I expected so yippee! Nice day, lots of sunshine but a cool breeze.
100117A.jpg
100117B.jpg

Some fat tires today

DSCN5293.JPG

Nice pleasure cruise with her boyfriend but we really don't need him in the pic do we? :D

DSCN5295.JPG

Rode my old 1998 Cannondale CAD3 today.

DSCN5298.JPG

Reactions: rm57
because to many little fall projects to finish off.

Yup. I spent the off-saddle morning and late afternoon wrapping up a few loose ends around the house and barn. Weeding, planters getting moves, the 8' ornamental windmill into storage, pathway lighting upgrades and some other minor repairs and fixes, yada, yada. All the painting and sealing up is done, but there's still one more massive mowing to get done, driveway markers to get put in place, septic system pumped, screens to be pulled off, washed and stored, all that good ****. So to speak!

On the Winter indoor training front, I did get a new laptop with killer graphic processor, a stand for it, ANT+ dongle and a 10' USB cable, a bunch of new cooling fans, etc. and I'm well on my way to adding video and maybe Zwift to the workouts. The last couple of years it was just getting too boring. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to push myself to do what I did on the track bike and Kurt Kinetic Road Machine 2.0.

I doubt I go out and buy an $1100 Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr or Cycleops Hammer or Elite Drivo or $1700 Wattbike or whatever the latest and greatest smart trainer is for this Winter, but I can certainly see why people invest in them.

I will say this...there is an advantage to staying simple on a dumb trainer or rollers. Once you start going down the smart trainer / gaming path it never ends. Wahoo sells a $250 computer stand!!! That's insane. Add in a decent laptop, a bunch of lights and fans, Bluetooth and ANT+ everything, the Zwift / Trainer Road, Sufferfest subscription fees and even a medium level smart trainer at $700-$800 and getting $2000 in a pain cave can happen in the blink of an eye.

Checking out the awesome setups on Zwift...NICE!

74 degrees and sunny this afternoon with the wind at 7 MPH.

Just time for a quick 22-mile cruise through Amish country.625' of climbing and lots of fun just turning the pedals over easily. The roads were mostly quiet and deserted.

dscn5295-jpg.2459

Hole EEE ****! How did I mis THIS?!?! Save me a place, Beanz! I'm getting another divorce, selling some stuff and moving into a van down by the beach! Electra Townie is gonna be my next bike! Wow! She's stunning!!!

What do you clowns put in the water out there? Can you send me a truckload of it for some...uh...er...testing? Yeah...testing. That's what I want to do with it!

Reactions: rm57
79 degrees and more sunshine today! The wind was a light 3 to 8 MPH.

24 miles of mostly climbing work. It only clocks in at a little over 1200' worth, but it makes you grimace and work hard.

A nice afternoon, the legs felt great and the roads were almost deserted...a perfect setting to go climb so hills. Alternated between stomping some larger gears and spinning low, but not sewing machine, gears. Delighted at how the end of Summer / early Fall warmth felt on my legs.