Did You Ride Today?

It was only 66 degrees this afternoon and it rained a little right before the ride. As the roads dried, however, the sky continued to look nasty. Rain clouds and zero sun. On the plus side the wind was only going 3 MPH!

I set off at a moderate tempo, but was soon picking up the pace as the clouds got closer I had to up it a notch or three. Got a light drizzle the last two miles of the 21-mile ride, but stayed dry. Moderate rain for the car ride back to the farm.

675' of climbing on a rolling course with only one hard climb. That caused my heart rate to hit 189. L5 boogie over the top!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
34.5 miles/ 4,380 ft of gain with Mike today. Felt much better today. 3rd week up in the mountains and it's coming back. Today my breathing was so much better. Maybe because I didn't carry that 25 pound hydration pack today! :D

Funny thing, been so hot out here, 100+ that I actually felt cold today in the 75 degree temps! :p

Nice ride today, other than Mike's flat! :D

091617A.jpg

091617C.jpg

091617E.jpg

091617G.jpg

Attachments

• 091617H.JPG
    091617H.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: rm57
4400' in on 35 miles?!?! That's insane! What a beautiful climb! Nice road! That's a nice mountain shot, Mr. B.

I did 41 miles and only got in 1350' of climbing...so wimp!

It got up to 80 degrees today and the sun was out. The wind was almost calm at 3 to 5 MPH and it was mostly so low it was hard to tell which direction it was coming from...a rarity this Summer!

I had no power, but was able to spin hard and fast and keep the revs up for the entire ride. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat of today with 82 for a high. Partly sunny! Let's ride!

I met up with Dave and rolled out a rolling 35 miles under sunny skies and a baby breeze. Dave's only been on the bike once in the last two months, so I figured I'd take it easy on him. For the most part I set an easy tempo, and upped it whenever Dave could hold my wheel. He was paying the price of all the rollers by mile 20 and suffered all the way home. I was surprised he did that well with such a layoff, not surprised he said his legs were like butter. It's all good.

Thanks Bob. Actually 4200 feet in 17 miles. The return is mostly downhill. You'd love it up here! ;-)

What's the average gradient percentage on that climb? I would probably want a 28 and use it most of the way up! It's been years since I went 17 miles on a single climb.

It was 78 degrees again this afternoon and after chores I had time for 31 miles. Just semi fast. I got it rolling a few spots on the course, but for the most part the weekend of work kicked my ass.

1525' of climbing on a beautiful, sunny afternoon. There were lots of motorcyclists out getting in one of the last warm rides of the summer. It was a fun ride despite the lack of power on the climbs. 30% chance of afternoon rain tomorrow. I'll have that to race against!

First 8 miles is 6% average. Next 9 miles is 5% but mile 14 to 17 is the toughest as that short section kicks up to 8 and 9% for most of that section. Baldy Rd parallels gmr but straight up. 12 miles with 5000 ft. That one is tough but I've done it!:D

Sunday ride with Gina and friends. 35 miles @16.4 average speed. Not bad. After time off of the bike, Gina is coming back pretty well. Same ride as last week (first ride in a month for Gina), a little faster with a little less effort!

091717B.jpg

Riding my 1998 cad3 Cannondale. Man I love this bike.

091717C.jpg

Whenever we pass another couple on the road, it seems they just have to keep hop on for some reason. Guy in black and gal in pink.

091717H.jpg

Mr. B., the baddest hill in my AO is 550'-600' over a little more than 2 miles. That's around 375'-300' per mile. Your almost 13-mile long Mt. Baldy climb goes 350'ish vertical feet per mile for SIX times the length! Riding up Baldy twice in a day would be a killer workout.

It hit 80 degrees today and the sun was out! The wind was low at 5 to 6 MPH. Perfect! Let's ride!

Just an 18-mile recovery ride and I needed the lack of killer output today. My whole body was tired and sore from a weekend of manual labor! I took the tempo up a little here and there, but was awake enough to know my body was protesting. I think I achieved the lowest heart rate average and the lowest cadence...of the Summer?

Only 475' of climbing and I think I felt every foot of it! LOL! Still, a fun ride and it was great to be out in the warm sunshine!

Almost a duplicate of yesterday. Only 18 miles in 80 degree sunshine. The wind was, again, a light 5 to 6 MPH.

550' of climbing and the pace was a little faster...more energy flowing. Life has been hectic this Summer and the weather less than perfect, but it's still been a fun season with lots of miles and good training runs.

As I headed out the door I said to my wife, "There's no rain in the area!".

As I passed within one mile of the point I was farthest from the truck...WTH?!?! RAIN?!?! And not just a light drizzle. It came in fast and the road was wet in seconds. So was I. And the Wilier.

No biggee. It was 80 degrees and humid. The cold water felt good! The sun was still out! Go figure.

1100' of climbing (ride shortened due to the rain so I missed two nice climbs) in 23 miles all taken at medium tempo for the most part. The rain was just par for the course in this cool, wet Summer. I think that made it five decent soakings I've received this year.

I did forget to meant that last Sunday A bee or wasp or something smacked into my forehead juat above the eyebrow and below the helmet and stung me...just half-assed. I don't think he was on me long enough to get a full stab done. That was number three on stings for the season. Looks like I won't be breaking last year's record of five.

88 degrees and sunshine today. The wind low at 3 to 5 MPH. I blew the morning off and the wife and I hit a County fair in the area. After getting home I lit out for an afternoon workout session.

The legs were dead to start, but they came around after a few miles of warming up and light jumps.

Another short 24-mile cruise with various painful efforts thrown in to make it memorable. Climbed around 1050'. Some of it fast and some of it just at tempo.

It felt great to sweat in 85-88 degree heat! Had a Deputy Sheriff on my tail for over a mile. I think he was just setting back there about 50-100 yards wondering what the crazy fool was doing, going that fast and turning them over so quickly in this heat!

Oh well! He got a show and turned off as I continued to lay down what few Watts I still have left! A fun workout, for sure.

89 degrees and finally some real heat to go with the sun! The wind was light at 5 to 6 MPH and all I did was cruise through 12 miles at a moderate tempo. Only 325' of gentle climbing most of us would call 'flat'.

I'll probably go long tomorrow as Summer winds down.

It was 50 degrees when I threw a leg over a 7:16 this morning and 91 degrees when I jumped off. The sun was really beating down by the end of the ride! The wind was mostly moderate at 3 to 12 MPH. I hardly felt any wind all morning, but it did pick up in the afternoon.

100.2 miles taken at a pretty good tempo all day. I never relaxed on the bike and kept them turning over like a roadie should. Stayed loose otherwise.

Damned near taken down by a black Lab that came flying out of some moron's yard. Yeah, I called the owner a dumbass as I swung a fist at muttly, but missed his skull by a few inches.

Other than that, a nice, safe training effort.

3900' of climbing fun with some stiff hills thrown in for ***** and giggles.

The no-horse town of Patmos. You are here.
upload_2017-9-23_17-51-16.png

Lake Milton in the morning sunshine. 44 miles into the Century.
upload_2017-9-23_17-52-18.png

On the Redneck Riviera on Berlin Lake at Shilling's Mill Bar. Still early...only one bike outside.
upload_2017-9-23_17-53-56.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp2001
Was able to get out for a quick 40 miles before I had some early afternoon projects to do. The temp is on the rise just the way my legs like it. No arm and leg warmers like the last few Saturday morning rides. The sun was really burning bright and felt great 80 degrees and climbing during ride. The wind was 10-12 mph and I ate it for the first part of the ride. Looking forward to doing a very fun roller coaster route into New Hampshire after service Sunday.

A year ago Sunday the 25th I was lying on a bed in the ER with a fractured pelvis due to a bike accident. Today I averaged 17 mph, last week was 16.7 which was my best ever on this particular route to date. Not bad for a guy with a medicare card in his pocket. Headed down to the boat for the last ride for this year. Seems like I was just launching the boat last week. Where the hell did Summer go? Time for Fall projects.

Reactions: zipp2001
There were only a few pleasure boats out on Lake Milton and a few fisherman splitting time on Milton and Berlin. Both marina services I went past looked to be very busy getting boats out of the water and Winterized and shrink wrapped.

90 degrees today and sunny. The wind was 7 to 9 MPH...no big deal.

Rolled out and the legs felt good after yesterday's long ride.

42 miles during the hottest part of the afternoon! I felt good and rode well. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well I responded to requests for more power.

Yesterday's ride had just over 4000' of climbing on it. Today was easy at only 1500'.

Oh yeah...while I was out piling on the miles yesterday an old team mate's son did TWO hunnert miles! The first Century was done in 5 Hrs. 12 Min.!