RR:Balmoral/Murarrie Crits - Sat 10Nov2005

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Absent Husband, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    Cut-&-pasted from my blog <absenthusband.blogspot.com> for your
    convenience....

    ---

    On Saturday morning, I rode out to the Murarrie crit circuit for
    another go
    at the Balmoral Crits.

    The morning started awkwardly - after riding 5 minutes down the road, I
    realised I had left my CA licence at home!! So I had to ride back
    quickly,
    grab the licence, and take off again. As a result, I arrived at the
    track
    only 15min before the start of the Cat 2 race....

    I walked over to the sign-on tent, and handed over my $8. They were
    splitting Cat 2 into two divisions this week (which they have been
    apparently doing for a while, due to large numbers!) and I was placed
    in
    Division 1. I got my bike ready, and watched the finish of the Elite &
    Cat 1
    races. Soon enough, it was time for me to start.....

    I wasn't expecting much from myself this week. Last time I raced, I
    only
    lasted about 12min before being dropped. And even then, I struggled to
    jump
    back on each time the peloton swept past. So I was just hoping to
    improve on
    that performance.

    And at 8am we were away!! 40min plus 3 laps. I settled into a rhythm
    pretty
    quickly, probably due to my late arrival (I figured my legs were still
    'warm'). A quick count of the group, and I reckon there were only 17-18
    in
    our division. A smallish field, but I thought that might make things a
    bit
    easier to judge. For the first 15min, I held on easily. We were
    cruising
    around 37-39km/h, and had overtaken the other Cat 2 division 3 times
    already.

    As we neared the 20min mark, we swung onto the home straight. I was
    near the
    back, and cruised up along the outside of the group. Before I knew it,
    I had
    eased up to the front few riders in the group!! Strategy wise, that was
    bad place to be for me. But then I thought, "Hey, I've never actually
    taken
    a turn before in a crit race - I wonder what its like up the
    front...??". I
    figured if I was gonna take the lead, I should do it properly. So I got
    out
    of the saddle, and took off as hard as I could past the front few
    riders!!

    When we reached the back straight I looked back, and saw a line of 5
    riders
    chasing me down (easily, may I add!!). So I sat up, and eased back to
    about
    35km/h. The pack settled back in behind me, so I still had lead wheel!!
    Just
    before reaching the home straight again, I figured that I'd gained
    enough
    experience of front-running, so slowed back down to the low 30's.
    No-one
    came around me though, so I happily 'controlled the speed' around
    31-32km/h
    for the remainder of the lap... As we crossed the start/finish line, a
    few
    of the quicker riders obviously got jack of the slowish speeds, and
    took
    over, moving around me. It was great fun riding up the front for a
    little
    while, and great experience too. But next time, I'll be staying safely
    hidden away in midst of the peloton!!

    The race continued on, and at the 25min mark, I got dropped!! Nooo!! We
    were
    on the '3rd straight', and I had drifted off the back slightly while I
    was
    gulping a few mouthfuls of water. Great timing as always - there was a
    surge. I quickly fumbled my bidon back into its cage, and took off, but
    couldn't bridge back to the group. D'oh!! I cruised around for a couple
    of
    laps in the mid-20 km/h, and then tacked back on as the group came
    past.
    Unfortunately, that meant I missed the Prime sprint - but I was never
    actually going to be a part of that anyway, so it wasn't a disaster.

    The final 10min was pretty tough. The usual suspects took control of
    the
    group, and pushed it hard the rest of the way. I was working my butt
    off
    trying to stay with them all, and was pleased to see the "3 to go" sign
    come
    up! I stuck with them the rest of the way, dropping off as we hit the
    home
    straight to the finish for the very last time. I actually felt nauseous
    from
    the effort of holding on! Fortunately, my peanut butter & jam sanger
    from
    breakfast stayed down in my tum-tum....

    So, all up a great result for me - I was very, very pleased with how it
    turned out. A big improvement on last time too!! My final stats were
    50min
    total time; 30km distance; 36km/h average speed.

    ---

    Cheers all,
    Abby

    Tags:

  2. adam85

    adam85 Guest

    "Absent Husband" <absent_husband@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Cut-&-pasted from my blog <absenthusband.blogspot.com> for your
    > convenience....

    Paul,
    I've done the old forget the licence trick before...what a shitter. Now the
    race... is this the part where us armchair experts tell you where you went
    wrong?

    Look I'm 47, an ex british champion, been a courier for many years and I'm a
    lovegod with the ladies (ok my teeth aren't so crash hot but Lotte once said
    I looked alright for a bloke). Where ya going wrong mate is ya gotta be more
    aggressive!! Stick ya pump in their spokes if they won't come round :)

    Seriously though, not trying to sound smart, but did you want to do a solo
    attack early on or just take a turn? If it was just taking a turn all you
    have to do it keep the same pace the others were doing for half a lap then
    roll off. You can give your elbow a flick to let the following rider know to
    come through. I've got a really good book on race tactics if you want to
    borrow it.

    Adam
    (channeling the river ride wobbegong)

  3. Hey Adam,

    You were freakin' me out there for a minute!! *laughs*.

    I'm not sure what I wanted to do!! Just having a bit of fun really
    (that's why we race, hey!) - having never experienced taking a turn, I
    just took the opportunity when it unexpectedly arose. Don't plan on
    making a habit out of it, though!!

    I'll remember the elbow flick though, if it ever happens again!!
    *grins*

    Oh, and did a River Ride this morning - got anxious every time I saw a
    white helmet, but no signs of the wobbegong.... ;)

    Cheers,
    Abby

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    adam85 wrote:

    > "Absent Husband" <absent_husband@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Cut-&-pasted from my blog <absenthusband.blogspot.com> for your
    > > convenience....

    > Paul,
    > I've done the old forget the licence trick before...what a shitter. Now the
    > race... is this the part where us armchair experts tell you where you went
    > wrong?
    >
    > Look I'm 47, an ex british champion, been a courier for many years and I'm a
    > lovegod with the ladies (ok my teeth aren't so crash hot but Lotte once said
    > I looked alright for a bloke). Where ya going wrong mate is ya gotta be more
    > aggressive!! Stick ya pump in their spokes if they won't come round :)
    >
    > Seriously though, not trying to sound smart, but did you want to do a solo
    > attack early on or just take a turn? If it was just taking a turn all you
    > have to do it keep the same pace the others were doing for half a lap then
    > roll off. You can give your elbow a flick to let the following rider know to
    > come through. I've got a really good book on race tactics if you want to
    > borrow it.
    >
    > Adam
    > (channeling the river ride wobbegong)

    Elbow flick? Good luck! Tried that, they ignored me! I had to try 3 time
    before I swung clear and managed to get back in! Hehehe they never take
    me seriously... I'll show them... one day... probably not this weekend
    though, which Abby tells me is the last week.

    Tam

Share This Page