105 Shimano Brakes BR5501 vs BR5600

Either will work fine. You can pick up the so-called 9 speed ones for about 40 bucks, far cheaper than the 5600 series ones. Both will stop you.

capwater said:
Either will work fine. You can pick up the so-called 9 speed ones for about 40 bucks, far cheaper than the 5600 series ones. Both will stop you.
Aside from the obvious (marketing), is there any objective difference between the two? It just seems beyond bizarre that they'd label brakes "9" or "10" speed.

Camilo said:
Aside from the obvious (marketing), is there any objective difference between the two? It just seems beyond bizarre that they'd label brakes "9" or "10" speed.
I don't know of any real difference. This would be like having 9 and 10 speed inner tubes. It probably has something to do with their part numbering system more than any real difference in the actual component.

Camilo said:

Not bizarre at all, just classic next generation marketing. No difference. for that matter, cranks ain't 9 or 10 speed either and the arguement can be made for deraillers as well.

Camilo said:
Check out the reach spec. I think that one's got 39-49mm of reach and the other is 47-57mm or reach.

instead of buying 5600, just get an ultegra 6500. its lighter and sometimes it costs the same as 5600 online (i.e. ebay or craigslist).

Online places are dumping the 5500 and 6500 stuff super cheap because people think they are "old 9 speed stuff", good deals to be had. i snagged a couple of sets of the black 105 models because they look pretty cool (and stop just fine). On my crit bike I even have a set of 105s from an 8 speed group that seemingly don't realize that the drivetrain ain't 8 speed. Brakes is brakes, man!!!

They where redesigned in the switch from 9 to 10 speed. They do in fact have a little more stopping power, and are easier to adjust. But both will stop you.