2003 Lemond Victoire or 2004 Trek 5200...

Teski

Aug 18, 2003
Could really use your help. I can get a brand new 2003 Lemond Victoire on sale for pretty much the same price as a 2004 Trek 5200. Both have almost the exact some components....Looks like the only realy difference is the Titanium frame of the Lemond as opposed to the Carbon 5200.

I mostly ride recreationally, but am starting to do some mini-triathlons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Teski

Originally posted by Teski
Could really use your help. I can get a brand new 2003 Lemond Victoire on sale for pretty much the same price as a 2004 Trek 5200. Both have almost the exact some components....Looks like the only realy difference is the Titanium frame of the Lemond as opposed to the Carbon 5200.

I mostly ride recreationally, but am starting to do some mini-triathlons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Teski

The Lemond. Trek doesn't need your money as much as Lemond Cycles. Besides, Lemond is to American cycling what Elvis is to rock and roll. Hinault is in the 5-timers club thanks to Lemond's generosity (knowingly or otherwise). Of course, he fell from grace a bit when he was less than supportive of Armstrong's relationship with an alledged doping doc despite the fact that Armstrong has tested clean -- ALWAYS.

So, I guess on balance, it's hard to say. You may need to go with something less subjective. Ride them both and buy the one you like best :)

I think you would like the feel of the OCLV. Trek owns LeMond bikes so no biggie there.Since they both have the same great warranties it comes down to riding them both. (I vote for OCLV though) Let us know which is the winner.

I believe the Treks and Lemonds are both made in the same factory in Wisconsin. I, also, would go with the OCLV.

You may not believe this but............I chose my last bike based on looks..................its a TREK..............plus I live in Wisconsin so thats pretty cool.

TREK and Le Mound are the same company as well as Klien and Gary Fischer as far as I know.

Wonder what the relationship with Bontrager is also?

Well, I appreciate all of your comments. I just got home from the bike store with my new 2004 Trek 5200! What a sweet bike! I took them both for another test ride, and just loved the 5200 a little more than the Lemond. I'm excited for my first big ride.

Teski

You have a very good bike BUT without a doubt the Victoire with the mechanically butted Reynold tubes is superior in all ways....just ask ALL the members of team Saturn.

Then again I like road feel and a lively ride and nothing does it better than Ti...without the road buzz.

The Lemond with Reynolds tubing is the best all round Ti frame in the world. A lot of this has to do not only with the Reynolds mechanically butted tube set but also to the fact that only 6!!! welders in Trek do the Ti frames!

My .02

TiMan