2013 Crank compatibility SRAM vs. Dura-Ace 7900

landdnl

Mar 4, 2012
I'm currently doing a build with 2013 SRAM drivetrain minus the crankset. The frame has an English BB shell and I installed a GXP BB. I have a 7900 groupset. I'm also going to building up a carbon bike(970 g) within a year. My plan is to move my SRAM drivetrain over to the carbon bike, hence my quandry. The carbon bike is a BB30 shell which wouldn't work if I bought the SRAM Red GXP crank. So, any thoughts how a 7900 crank would work with the 2013 SRAM yaw front derailleur?

Due to Shimano's superior chainrings, most Dura Ace cranksets would work marginally BETTER than cranks of similar vintage from any other manufacturer ...

• you may-or-may-not notice the advantage

BTW. While 'I' am not keen on the GXP cranks, in general, there should be NO reason that you couldn't install it in a frame which uses a BB30 BB ...

• I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a GXP-BB30 BB available ...
  • but, if there isn't an actual GXP-BB30 BB or a GXP-BB30 adapter then use a Shimano Hollowtech II compatible BB ... and, presuming the Shimano BB30 is configured the same as the external Shimano Hollowtech II BB cups where the SEAL reduces the inner diameter of the cartridge bearing to 24mm, you simply need to remove the seal on the driveside & you will have a bearing with a 25mm inner diameter into which the GXP crank can be inserted
  • substitute the seal which is on the GXP BB cup OR cut a "spacer"/seal from a plastic laundry jug

FYI. If you want superior shifting, then opt for Campagnolo shifters ...

• SRAM is certainly an acceptable cosmetic or philosophical choice ... BUT, not one which I would make

Yeah, I know there's an adapter(FSA) to make the GXP work with BB30, but what I planned on doing is when I build up my carbon frame, I would get the standard 2013 SRAM Red Exogram crank that uses the BB30, plus I save a some grams with the crank being lighter and not needing an adapter. i have other plans for the Dura-ace crank in the future.