$23 Billion Iraq - where has the money gone?

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Last night (20/3/2006), Channel4 Dispatches did a programme on the missing $23 billion in Iraq.

To set the context : cash amounting to $23 billion pledged was transferred by the USA to Iraq after the invasion in March 2003.

JUST SO THAT WE'RE ALL IN THE LOOP - THE USA'S MONEY ISN'T A BENEVOLENT DONATION - IT WAS GIVEN IN EXCHANGE FOR IRAQI LIQUID ASSETS HELD IN BAGHDAD CENTRAL BANK THAT WERE TRANSFERRED FROM IRAQ'S CENTRAL BANK TO THE FEDERAL RESERVE IN THE USA.

The "donated" cash was supposed to be used to help rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq - hospitals/schools/roads etc.
US dollars were required to be in Iraq because international companies in Iraq
were not prepared to be paid in local currency - and it was decided that they
ought to be paid in US dollars.

It seems that the cash was stored in one of Saddams former palaces under guard by US troops, awaiting distribution.
The only problem is that the money was never used for the purposes intended and it appears that the vast majority of the money has "disappeared".

The control and distribution of the cash was supposed to be controlled and monitored by the Coalition Provisional Authority.
The CPA was set up by the USA administration in Iraq under the jurisdiction of
Paul Bremer III.
The first action that the CPA carried out was to transfer, out of Baghdad Iraqi
bank balances amounting to €23 billion to the US Federal Reserve.
The Federal Reserve was then mandated by the US administration to transfer - in cash - €23 billion to Iraq to be used for infrastructural spending.

Three years down the line - little or no expenditure has resulted in the infrastructure.
The reality is that hospitals have few drugs to give to their patients, dilapidated hospital equipment (newborn babies having to share incubators!)
is the norm, electricity supplies during specific hours daily, no rebuilsing of raods, escaling oil prices (in a country with abundant oil) is the order of the day.

In the meantime some of the cash has been traced to payments to companies like Halliburton - for services never rendered.
Some of the cash disappeared in payments to a company setup by former US Republicans named Custer & Battle. Again paid for no services rendered.
Part of the money was also "misappropriated" by two CIA operatives.

Currently a team of US accountants are attempting to trace the whereabouts of the money.

In the meantime, the hospitals are slowly decaying through lack of funding,
schools remain shut through lack of teachers, electricity cannot be supplied for lack of infrastructure : AND IRAQ'S FUNDS IN IT'S OWN CENTRAL BANK NOW RESIDE IN THE US FEDERAL RESERVE.

limerickman said:
Last night (20/3/2006), Channel4 Dispatches did a programme on the missing $23 billion in Iraq.

To set the context : cash amounting to $23 billion pledged was transferred by the USA to Iraq after the invasion in March 2003.

JUST SO THAT WE'RE ALL IN THE LOOP - THE USA'S MONEY ISN'T A BENEVOLENT DONATION - IT WAS GIVEN IN EXCHANGE FOR IRAQI LIQUID ASSETS HELD IN BAGHDAD CENTRAL BANK THAT WERE TRANSFERRED FROM IRAQ'S CENTRAL BANK TO THE FEDERAL RESERVE IN THE USA.

The "donated" cash was supposed to be used to help rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq - hospitals/schools/roads etc.
US dollars were required to be in Iraq because international companies in Iraq
were not prepared to be paid in local currency - and it was decided that they
ought to be paid in US dollars.

It seems that the cash was stored in one of Saddams former palaces under guard by US troops, awaiting distribution.
The only problem is that the money was never used for the purposes intended and it appears that the vast majority of the money has "disappeared".

The control and distribution of the cash was supposed to be controlled and monitored by the Coalition Provisional Authority.
The CPA was set up by the USA administration in Iraq under the jurisdiction of
Paul Bremer III.
The first action that the CPA carried out was to transfer, out of Baghdad Iraqi
bank balances amounting to €23 billion to the US Federal Reserve.
The Federal Reserve was then mandated by the US administration to transfer - in cash - €23 billion to Iraq to be used for infrastructural spending.

Three years down the line - little or no expenditure has resulted in the infrastructure.
The reality is that hospitals have few drugs to give to their patients, dilapidated hospital equipment (newborn babies having to share incubators!)
is the norm, electricity supplies during specific hours daily, no rebuilsing of raods, escaling oil prices (in a country with abundant oil) is the order of the day.

In the meantime some of the cash has been traced to payments to companies like Halliburton - for services never rendered.
Some of the cash disappeared in payments to a company setup by former US Republicans named Custer & Battle. Again paid for no services rendered.
Part of the money was also "misappropriated" by two CIA operatives.

Currently a team of US accountants are attempting to trace the whereabouts of the money.

In the meantime, the hospitals are slowly decaying through lack of funding,
schools remain shut through lack of teachers, electricity cannot be supplied for lack of infrastructure : AND IRAQ'S FUNDS IN IT'S OWN CENTRAL BANK NOW RESIDE IN THE US FEDERAL RESERVE.
Most likely vanished into the pockets of the same people who prospered under saddam's regime and siphoned off to the crooked cronies of the republicans.It's an ill wind indeed...but at what human cost?
In other words,money that could have been used to do some good...has simply gone down the toilet.
:(

stevebaby said:
Most likely vanished into the pockets of the same people who prospered under saddam's regime and siphoned off to the crooked cronies of the republicans.It's an ill wind indeed...but at what human cost?
In other words,money that could have been used to do some good...has simply gone down the toilet.
:(

The human cost is huge.

The footage of doctors trying to cope in a hospital with no medicine and no equipment to incubate babies was terrible.
Babies forced to share incubators - terrible.

The Iraqi's have said that conditions are as bad as they were under Saddam when the embargos were in place.
Three years on, they're still suffering.

The CPA squandered the money.

The hell of it all is that, to date, every American owes $30,000 per head, for this total wreck of rubbish.

I hate my country of birth, sometimes.....but airheads are everywhere..no escaping it.

limerickman said:
The human cost is huge.

The footage of doctors trying to cope in a hospital with no medicine and no equipment to incubate babies was terrible.
Babies forced to share incubators - terrible.

The Iraqi's have said that conditions are as bad as they were under Saddam when the embargos were in place.
Three years on, they're still suffering.

The CPA squandered the money.
Never mind the HUMAN COST; this is a volunteer army, and poor blood spills cheap for the rich old men that send them to die!!!!

Oh for the shame of it!!!!

That fool in the white house pisses away money worse than a sailor spends it when his boat is docked.

this amount will actually be extrapolated out for generations, the cost of stuffing the bushco family and friends criminal syndicate pockets will be borne out monetarily by subsequent generations...the human toll is indeed in real time, though.

ptlwp said:
The hell of it all is that, to date, every American owes $30,000 per head, for this total wreck of rubbish.

I hate my country of birth, sometimes.....but airheads are everywhere..no escaping it.

ptlwp said:
Never mind the HUMAN COST; this is a volunteer army, and poor blood spills cheap for the rich old men that send them to die!!!!

That fool in the white house pisses away money worse than a sailor spends it when his boat is docked.
Poor blood comes cheap, I am sorry to say.

A draft or conscription with no exemptions for just about anything, would stop the war quite quickly, though, I dare say!!!!

ptlwp said:
Poor blood comes cheap, I am sorry to say.

A draft or conscription with no exemptions for just about anything, would stop the war quite quickly, though, I dare say!!!!
thats what Congressman Rangel & myself, shortlythereafter, have been saying going on 3 years now. Once Bush's daughters have to go over there, we'll be out soon enough. To wit:

Rangel calls for mandatory military service
Monday, December 30, 2002 Posted: 1:46 PM EST (1846 GMT)

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Democratic lawmaker said Sunday he will introduce a bill in the next session of Congress to make military service mandatory.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, said such legislation could make members of Congress more reluctant to authorize military action.

"I'm going to introduce legislation to have universal military service to let everyone have an opportunity to defend the free world against the threats coming to us," Rangel said on CNN's "Late Edition."

"I'm talking about mandatory service."

The Korean War veteran has accused the Bush administration and some fellow lawmakers of being too willing to go to war with Iraq.

In October, he voted against a joint resolution authorizing military action against Iraq. It passed 296-133 in the House and 77-23 in the Senate.

"When you talk about a war, you're talking about ground troops, you're talking about enlisted people, and they don't come from the kids and members of Congress," he said.

"I think, if we went home and found out that there were families concerned about their kids going off to war, there would be more cautiousness and a more willingness to work with the international community than to say, 'Our way or the highway.' "

Rangel did not provide specifics of his proposal.

davidmc said:
thats what Congressman Rangel & myself, shortlythereafter, have been saying going on 3 years now. Once Bush's daughters have to go over there, we'll be out soon enough. To wit:
It would have made more sense if the money had been used to buy beer and pot.They would all be having a big party now...with lots of group hugs.
Rummy and saddam hugging...well,they're old friends after all.

oh no, you mean new recruits buffy and vance will serve alongside hector, danny joe and cordell? oh, the humanity...

btw, anyone notice the barrage of commercials on kid's tv programming by the military, you know, the premise is where the kids are letting their mom know there is a way out of the ghetto?
by enlisting, of course.

davidmc said:

ptlwp said:

I was concentrating more on the Iraqi civilians dying in hospitals - and not the US troops.

When a child is sick - you have no choice but to take the child to a doctor.

Regarding the US recruits and their human costs - it's minute compared to what the Iraqi civilians are going through.
And you can put the blame for that at Bush's door too.

Hypnospin said:
oh no, you mean new recruits buffy and vance will serve alongside hector, danny joe and cordell? oh, the humanity...

btw, anyone notice the barrage of commercials on kid's tv programming by the military, you know, the premise is where the kids are letting their mom know there is a way out of the ghetto?
by enlisting, of course.
Is this serious? Kid's television has commercials for the Army? If it's true,it's disgusting.

Sorry guys,

the money is in locker #327 at Glasgow Central train station. When the clerk asks your name, its Mr Smith.

i just needed the money to tide me over for a while... we got a new kitchen...you know how it is lads.

anyway, there is a six pack of Carling in there too as a way of saying thanks...

next time i'll ask...okay?

MountainPro said:
Sorry guys,

the money is in locker #327 at Glasgow Central train station. When the clerk asks your name, its Mr Smith.

i just needed the money to tide me over for a while... we got a new kitchen...you know how it is lads.

anyway, there is a six pack of Carling in there too as a way of saying thanks...

next time i'll ask...okay?
LOL What colour is the "new kitchen"?
Celeste,perhaps?
At least you didn't
waste it. :)
Does it have Italian appliances?

limerickman said:

Set a thief to catch a thief... :D

stevebaby said:
Is this serious? Kid's television has commercials for the Army? If it's true,it's disgusting.
Ive seen it; I am disgusted with it....I am disgusted with everything to do with this man made debacle of no reason on earth.

limerickman said:
I was concentrating more on the Iraqi civilians dying in hospitals - and not the US troops.

When a child is sick - you have no choice but to take the child to a doctor.

Regarding the US recruits and their human costs - it's minute compared to what the Iraqi civilians are going through.
And you can put the blame for that at Bush's door too.
They try not to let us know too much about the suffering of the Iraqi's..you have to really dig to find things.

The only thing I saw recently was a trip through Walter Reed Army Hospital and all the tip top care that the armless, the legless and so forth and what wonderful medical care they were getting and oh, the wonderful prosthetic devices they have today.

I could have thrown up.

limerickman said:

We need a good Irish accountant on this. Are there any Irish accountants out there ? ;)

lw

desert_RAT said:
So. Are YOU saying things were better under Saddam? Sounds like hear/say to me. "The Iraqi's have said...." That's a bunch of BS my friend.

For the 1st time EVER girls are able to attend school. Women are allowed to vote. Oh, wait EVERYONE is now able to vote.

I think you should stick to what you know......Umm.. What is that?:eek:

Eh?
Women were always able to vote in Iraq.

Women were also able to attend school.

You're getting confused again.

Are you that Idahooiiioioioi entity that I banned the other night?
If you are - I'll give you the same choice as I did two days ago before I closed yer account.
Same rule applies - clean up your act or I will.
Okay?

desert_RAT said:
What? Are you high? There were no schools before.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Iraq had the one of the highest participation levels at third level education
in the world in the 1980/90's.

desert_RAT said:
Do you not watch FOX NEWS. They show stories on the New Iraq.

.....really.

desert_RAT said:
THE IRAQI PEOLPE ARE GRATEFUL TO THE US AND HER ALLIES.

......the correct spelling is people - and they're not grateful.

desert_RAT said:
You don't hear of Iraqi's blowing themselves up. You hear of suicide bombers blowing themselves up. These are not Iraqis with familys. These people want peace.

I didn't refer to Iraqi's blowing anyone up.

By the way, the correct spelling is families.

desert_RAT said:
As far as banning me. For what? What have I said that is offensive.

Someone does not agree w/you so you'll ban them?:eek:

I happen to disagree with a lot of opinions here - but I don't ban those accounts.

I do ban people who come in here shouting the odds - like you did two days
ago and like you're trying to do today.

I'm not wasting time going over the same old ground that we discussed two days ago.
You know the score - moderate yourself or I will do it for you as I did two days ago.