$23 Billion Iraq - where has the money gone?

MountainPro said:
okay,

a friend gave me a perfectly good working laptop that only had a faulty power socket to be re-soldered...after 3 hours of dismantling i soldered it up, well pleased with myself...built it up (with 3 spare screws) and now it wont start..

Depends on how you've buggered it. :)

If you've wired the power backwards the magic smoke might have
escaped. Even then there's a chance that you could track down
the smoking components and replace them providing you've got
good eyes and steady hands.

Perhaps you've tripped some kind of chassis intrusion mechanism
(that happened to me a month ago - bloody infuriating).

MountainPro said:
your job is to give me advice on how to ******** my way outta this..

its a £1,000 computer...dead.

The other alternative is that the power socket wasn't the real prob.
Try running it without the battery installed for example...

there is power to the board, all the little leds come on but he screen is blank and it doesnt boot..

checked the ram and hdd, both installed okay...

battery and power adaptor both working fine...

what is a chassis intrusion mechanism?

darkboong said:
Depends on how you've buggered it. :)

If you've wired the power backwards the magic smoke might have
escaped. Even then there's a chance that you could track down
the smoking components and replace them providing you've got
good eyes and steady hands.

Perhaps you've tripped some kind of chassis intrusion mechanism
(that happened to me a month ago - bloody infuriating).

The other alternative is that the power socket wasn't the real prob.
Try running it without the battery installed for example...

desert_RAT said:
Youv'e ridden with him then?:confused:
A few years ago he had a crush on my niece and he hung around on a nice bike.
I didn't know who he was.I asked him what he did for a job.When he said he rode bikes I thought "Yeah,sure!loser."
I didn't expect to pass him...he's half my age for starters..but anyone could see that the kid had talent.Never dreamed that he was that good and would do so well.
This is a big country with a small population and it isn't difficult to rub shoulders with world class riders...Australia has a few,particularly in track. Kate Bates is the Australian Road champion and her sister Natalie is pretty good too and their family lives at the end of the road.

guess what, when i had put the thing back together i forgot to install the retaining clip for the processor, see pics.

the processor was basically sitting on the socket rather than in it...

i thought the heatsink felt a bit funny when i was screwing it down..

anyway job done...

whats my prize?

perhaps, as in the origin of the bicycle itself, different places, different times, a universal consciousness...
nah, california.
www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=28

www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=30
www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=31

we (my mates and i) were riding mod clunkers in '74 down the fireroads as well.

stevebaby said:
Aaha,but where did the
concept originate?http://members.aol.com/napavelo/filthyfun1.htm
Filthy Fun with Cyclo-cross - Part 1 :D

CA, Marin county or something is usually associated with the invention of mountain bikes...however the reality is that people have been rising off road in mountain areas ever since the invention of the bicycle...and racing them too..

Hypnospin said:
perhaps, as in the origin of the bicycle itself, different places, different times, a universal consciousness...
nah, california.
www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=00&mID=28

www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=30
www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=31

we (my mates and i) were riding mod clunkers in '74 down the fireroads as well.

davidmc said:
chris king headset, manitou w/carbon fork brace (mars c3 model @ 2.5 LBS), tamer carbon hubs laced up to mavic 517's, race face, carbon, straight bars, oclv carbon bar-ends, Ti cassette, kooka crank, thompson seat post & stem, fox rear shock (covered up), selle italia "race day" kevlar enhanced saddle, @ 25.5 lbs (u.s.) total weight. Not bad for a 1996 model bike ;) I usually don't brag but... :rolleyes:
You leave it chained to a lamppost all day?
or locked in a safe?
:D

it's true, in fact, i have found a road bike better suited to all but the gnarliest trails than an mtb, faster, more efficient...

MountainPro said:
CA, Marin county or something is usually associated with the invention of mountain bikes...however the reality is that people have been rising off road in mountain areas ever since the invention of the bicycle...and racing them too..

MountainPro said:
what is a chassis intrusion mechanism?

Short answer : A total waste of time.

The idea is that you have some kind of switch that is tripped when someone opens the case. The switch is monitored even when the machine is powered down (the miracle of battery powered CMOS logic), when the switch trips
the chassis is deemed to have been intruded. What happens next is up to the BIOS, in the case of the one I had it did the usual stuff, then whined about the chassis being intruded and didn't let me do anything. The solution was to remove the power, remove the CMOS battery and short the CMOS clear jumper for 10 seconds, THEN add the CMOS battery, and finally the power... Oh and make --ing sure that the microswitch was shorted so I didn't have to go through that bollocks again.

Why people feel the need for Chassis Intrusion when people with physical access to the machine can defeat it I will *never* understand... It's dumb and doesn't make the machine any more secure, it just makes it easier to break it.

From what you've said it sounds like something else might be up with it... Is there any sign of activity from the machine at all ? Eg : fans spinning up, hard drive spinning up, screen flickering but no backlight ?

by the stunning use of pure skill, excellent brain power and incredible engineering knowlegde i have managed to fix it...

basically i opened her up and re-seated the processor.

that chassis thing sound like a pile of poo..

once you bought the machine its yours, you should be able to access it if you want to repair it or canabalise it for spares...

darkboong said:
From what you've said it sounds like something else might be up with it... Is there any sign of activity from the machine at all ? Eg : fans spinning up, hard drive spinning up, screen flickering but no backlight ?

stevebaby said:
You leave it chained to a lamppost all day?
or locked in a safe?
:D
It NEVER leaves my sight w/ the exception-being locked away in my abode ;)

that bike s a bit old skool but i bet she would have cost a pretty penny in her day...

carbon...ooohhh...top of the range. And this was when Trek knew how to make decent mountain bikes....

i miss the 90s.

davidmc said:
It NEVER leaves my sight w/ the exception-being locked away in my abode ;)

MountainPro said:
once you bought the machine its yours, you should be able to access it if you want to repair it or canabalise it for spares...
Don't ever buy a Polar HRM if that is the case ;) You must send it to them to have the batteries replaced :eek: