A bike for the beginner

movermeu

Nov 11, 2002
I would like to know what is the best bike for the beginner. Also value for money. Please bear in mind that we here in South-Africa do not get all the type of models availible out there.<br /><br />It seems that the Modial that I would have bought is a definite NO.<br /><br />Your advice will be apreaciated dearly.<br /><br />Thanks ???

Thanks.<br /><br />Only after I send this message I saw that there are already a similar one already.<br /><br />

[quote author=movermeu link=board=20;threadid=2631;start=0#22494 date=1037094877]<br />I would like to know what is the best bike for the beginner. Also value for money. Please bear in mind that we here in South-Africa do not get all the type of models availible out there.<br /><br />It seems that the Modial that I would have bought is a definite NO.<br /><br />Your advice will be apreaciated dearly.<br /><br />Thanks ???<br />[/quote]<br /><br />This place has been over run by people from south africa..........so you'll get good advice ;)<br /><br />cheers!

Looking at R2000 - R3000. Max R5000.<br /><br />Do you perhaps know where I can find a decent 2nd hand bike to start-off with. I will then look at a new bike on a later stage.<br /><br />Thanks<br />

[quote author=movermeu link=board=20;threadid=2631;start=0#22569 date=1037182516]<br />Looking at R2000 - R3000. Max R5000.<br /><br />Do you perhaps know where I can find a decent 2nd hand bike to start-off with. I will then look at a new bike on a later stage.<br /><br />Thanks<br /> <br />[/quote]<br /><br />You could post a wanted ad in the classifieds forum :)

Get the Junk Mail, tons of bikes for sale in there. Trick is to find someone who bought a bike for the argus or something similar, roda it 5 times and then wanted to get rid of it. Things to keep in mind are where in the range bikes are, where in the range their groupsets are etc. For the bottom of the range Trek (1000) or Giant (damn, can't remember) you shouldn't have to pay more than R3500 (2 yrs old), but then you will only get Sora groupset which isn't great. Main thing to find out is your frame size (go to a bike shop as if buying and find out what frame sizes are right for you on various bikes, can be different from bike to bike). If you haven't read the other thread re buying a bike then other thing to remember is that the shimano group sets go as follows: Sora, Tiagra, 105... (the rest are probably outside your price range). <br /><br />P.s. Anything with a strange name or parts you don't recognise, come to the guys here and find out.<br /><br />p.p.s. don't go much older than 2/3 yrs, the parts have improved a lot in the last few years<br /><br />p.p.p.s. Keep us posted, we like knowing we've helped

You won't get much of a bike at that price, even second hand.<br />Ever heard of the Geneses range of bikes? Aluminium, Shimano Sora groupset with triple chainring, reasonable seat and wheels for the price. It doesn't have an integrated headset tho. I can set you up with a bike shop that can sell you the whole package, brand new and with all the warrantee's, for R3999, maybe even less.<br />It's a nice bike to get started with and probably the cheapest and nicest you'll get for the money.

I have to disagree a little with V02, it also depends a lot on how long you are prepared to wait. At the same time though, with a second hand bike you do face risks and it is likely you won't find the right frame size. Sounds like a good deal though V02, I would have gone for that when I was looking.

I know Rhodent, but unfortunately you can't expect much in that price range. It sounds to me that movermeu is looking for something to start off with.<br />These type of desicions usually revolve around two ways of thinking:<br />1&gt; Bye a bike that won't break the bank, ride it until it falls apart, during which time you've saved up enough for a better bike. Problem here is that most riders usually want a better bike within 6 months of the original purchase, or<br />2&gt; Bye a bike that you can gradually upgrade as you go along and cash becomes available. Problem here is that most lower end bikes don't offer you that option. Anything that has a good frame and offers the flexibility of upgrading components, will cost you.<br />The Giant OCR3 probably offers the best bang for the buck. An OCR3 is fairly upgradable (up to a point), but costs almost R7000.<br />It's a difficult decision non the less.

How much does a frame on its own cost? I got the exact opposite of the suggested, crappy frame (aluminium wheeler) but nice groupset (105). Given that the groupset was worth more than I paid for it I went for it, how much do you think it would cost me to get a really decent frame to put the 105's on? (I think I should probably replace the wheels first, you think R4000 on a pair of wheels for a R3500 bike is ridiculous ???)

Anything from about R6000 upwards for a decent frame. Good wheels are an investment, as they are transferable. Same with a good gruppo.

Sound like VO2 has been in the bussiness for quite some time. I would go for the better frame but older bike so that I can upgrade it later as cash is availible.<br /><br />Is it possible to get a 2nd hand bike for under R3000.?<br />

[quote author=movermeu link=board=20;threadid=2631;start=0#22593 date=1037191960]<br />Sound like VO2 has been in the bussiness for quite some time. I would go for the better frame but older bike so that I can upgrade it later as cash is availible.<br /><br />Is it possible to get a 2nd hand bike for under R3000.?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />It is possible.....but its gonna be junk if your planning on racing/riding heaps.....if its just something to get to to and from work, or keep you fit then you should be able to get a bike that will keep you happy. You just need the right tool for the job.<br /><br />cheers!

Movermeu I'm just back in the road cycling game and so a few weeks ago i was having the same problem, i just wanted a decent bike to train on to keep fit without having any aspirations of racing etc.<br /><br />After looking around i discovered that it was impossible to get anything new and not a pile of **** for less than $1000AU ( i think about 5500 rand)<br /><br />i ended up with a Giant OCR 3, its got mostly Sora groupset with a few generic parts like hubs and an FSA crank (which i reckon looks better than the Sora one anyway) and so far i have barely been able to keep off it!<br /><br />I know its not the lightest bike and i'm sure in a few months i will need to replace some bits and pieces but so far i'm extremely happy with the bike. Also the frame appears to be good enough that when i upgrade i won't have to junk the whole bike and start again<br /><br />

I agree with Duckwah, an OCR3 is excellent value for money. <br /><br />But then again it all depends on whether you want the bike now or if you are willing to wait a few more months and buy yourself a decent entry-level bike.<br />

I bought my first bike 12 months ago, and have been happy with my decision. Here are some considerations I decided were important.<br /><br />- I will be riding to work, therefore not spending on a car / public transport. How much is that worth after 1 year ? To me close to AUD5000. It seemed appropriate to spend at least half that amount on my bike.<br /><br />- I wanted my bike to last 3 years, both mechanically and from a satisfaction angle. To buy the lowest ranked bike/components did not seem right since it is my transport as well as my traing; nor did it seem right to spend a fortune on my first bike. I decided that Shimano Tiagra would last me 3 years and plenty of distance. i bought a Raceline bike which came well equipped for the price. The savings v 105 allowed me to spend on better shoes, helmet and some clothing so that I looked the part.<br /><br />- I'm no expert, so avoid second hand altogether. A bike shop will sell you the right size and should provide good back up for a while if you have probs. A personal sale will leave you in the lurch if you discover major faults.

In retrospect if i had known how much i was going to enjoy riding i would have dug deeper into my savings and bought an OCR 1 because i now find myself looking at upgrading the 3 at greater overall cost<br /><br />so if you think you might do a lot of riding or develop the urge to race i would consider spending as much as you can afford on your first bike.<br /><br />That said the OCR 3 will do me for the moment