a couple of rides in the Peak District

Adam Lea

Guest
I went up North to visit family last weekend and went out on my folding bike
a couple of times to have a look at the nice rolling Pennine scenery. On
Friday I cycled to Piccadilly station, took a train to Glossop and cycled up
the A57 up the Snake Pass. I was prepared for a hard climb but initially the
climb was not as bad as I initially thought - I just put it in the bottom
gear and trundled up at a steady 6 mph. What was a problem was a terrific
easterly wind blasting over the Pennine ridge right in my face for most of
the climb. I got about 3/4 of the way up before I ran out of steam and then
I just kept plodding along and stopping every 200 yards to get my breath
back. Annoying really as my legs were easily coping with it, it just seemed
I could not get enough oxygen in.

I got to the top of the pass and had lunch. My original intention was to go
down the other side towards the resevoir but given the wind and the fact
that it was very committing to carry on I turned round and freewheeled back
down to Glossop. It is strange to be travelling at around 30mph and not feel
any wind. Unfortunatly I felt it on the bit where the road turns north and
got buffeted by a strong crosswind. I had to slow down as I was concerned
about the consequences of losing control at the speed I was going. I got
back to Glossop without incident and took a train back to Manchester.

I was a little dissapointed that I didn't go further as I thought I was
fitter than that but I guess that since I ride around the relatively low
hills of Sussex and Surrey it is a big jump to doing a 3 mile climb with
330m of ascent.

The second ride I did was starting from Buxton, heading north along a little
road which I had to get off and walk along as it looked like it had been
washed away inn places. Went through Whaley Bridge, which looks like one of
those villages that has been ruined by traffic, and then headed east to
Chinley. I then took a little road up to the A624 and followed this through
Hayfield. Then came a long steady climb which tired me out before turning
left on to the Monks Road. There is a superb viewpoint at the road summit
(380m) from which I could see as far as Wales and was well worth the effort
of getting there. I then had a terrifying descent into Charlesworth, on to
Broadbottom and then a train back to Manchester.

Adam

Adam,
You'll have to visit again, it is one of my favourite regions.
Never mind tiredness - as you said, the tops more than have their reward!
See you soon?
John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I went up North to visit family last weekend and went out on my folding
>bike a couple of times to have a look at the nice rolling Pennine scenery.
>On Friday I cycled to Piccadilly station, took a train to Glossop and
>cycled up the A57 up the Snake Pass. I was prepared for a hard climb but
>initially the climb was not as bad as I initially thought - I just put it
>in the bottom gear and trundled up at a steady 6 mph. What was a problem
>was a terrific easterly wind blasting over the Pennine ridge right in my
>face for most of the climb. I got about 3/4 of the way up before I ran out
>of steam and then I just kept plodding along and stopping every 200 yards
>to get my breath back. Annoying really as my legs were easily coping with
>it, it just seemed I could not get enough oxygen in.
>
> I got to the top of the pass and had lunch. My original intention was to
> go down the other side towards the resevoir but given the wind and the
> fact that it was very committing to carry on I turned round and
> freewheeled back down to Glossop. It is strange to be travelling at around
> 30mph and not feel any wind. Unfortunatly I felt it on the bit where the
> road turns north and got buffeted by a strong crosswind. I had to slow
> down as I was concerned about the consequences of losing control at the
> speed I was going. I got back to Glossop without incident and took a train
> back to Manchester.
>
> I was a little dissapointed that I didn't go further as I thought I was
> fitter than that but I guess that since I ride around the relatively low
> hills of Sussex and Surrey it is a big jump to doing a 3 mile climb with
> 330m of ascent.
>
> The second ride I did was starting from Buxton, heading north along a
> little road which I had to get off and walk along as it looked like it had
> been washed away inn places. Went through Whaley Bridge, which looks like
> one of those villages that has been ruined by traffic, and then headed
> east to Chinley. I then took a little road up to the A624 and followed
> this through Hayfield. Then came a long steady climb which tired me out
> before turning left on to the Monks Road. There is a superb viewpoint at
> the road summit (380m) from which I could see as far as Wales and was well
> worth the effort of getting there. I then had a terrifying descent into
> Charlesworth, on to Broadbottom and then a train back to Manchester.
>
> Adam

My next holiday plan is to visit either the Lake District or the Cairngorms.
The masochist in me would like to have a go at the Hardknott/Wrynose passes
some day.

Adam

news:[email protected]...