Couple of helmetcam videos

LSMike wrote:
> Part of my commute along the A21:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXSTENW4jk

You would actually be stopped by the police for some of those queue
overtaking moves, where you are on the wrong side of the road with
oncoming traffic having to move over. Ive seen people stopped in cars
and on bikes for that sort of antics (rightly or wrongly).

Is that a 2 or 3 wheel 'bent?

On 29/10/2007 16:05, Coyoteboy said,

> You would actually be stopped by the police for some of those queue
> overtaking moves, where you are on the wrong side of the road with
> oncoming traffic having to move over. Ive seen people stopped in cars
> and on bikes for that sort of antics (rightly or wrongly).

I must admit that there were a few moments when I was wincing waiting
for the crash, wondering if that was the point of the video! Overtaking
a queue on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, especially
when one car is turning right and moving to the right is not good. I
hope the anti-cyclist brigade don't get to see that - it will be more
ammo for them.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Oct 29, 6:58?pm, Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:43 am, LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Part of my commute along the A21:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXSTENW4jk

> > Nice bus driver:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-n5uYcwq4Y

> Nice, but something I'd still rather do on an upright rather than a
> recumbent. I like be able to see over the cars when I'm weaving
> through traffic.

I have to agree with Paul, some of those moves were ill-advised and
you have far more trust in car drivers than I do. From the off you had
one idiot forcing past you before the bollards. What a joke!

Marz wrote:

> Nice, but something I'd still rather do on an upright rather than a
> recumbent. I like be able to see over the cars when I'm weaving
> through traffic.

Mmm, very true - im ok when i can see drivers ahead, on a bent id be
scared to go round anything!

On Oct 29, 6:39 pm, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> I must admit that there were a few moments when I was wincing waiting
> for the crash, wondering if that was the point of the video! Overtaking
> a queue on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, especially
> when one car is turning right and moving to the right is not good. I
> hope the anti-cyclist brigade don't get to see that - it will be more
> ammo for them.
>
> --
> Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

I don't believe I overtook anyone turning right. Sure, there were two
slightly pushy overtakes at roughly 2:07 and 2:21, but otherwise it's
completely normal London filtering.

On Oct 29, 6:58 pm, Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:43 am, LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Part of my commute along the A21:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXSTENW4jk

> > Nice bus driver:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-n5uYcwq4Y

> Nice, but something I'd still rather do on an upright rather than a
> recumbent. I like be able to see over the cars when I'm weaving
> through traffic.

Visibility is better than is perhaps apparent from the video. It's
only the really tightly packed traffic that is more difficult on my
Hurricane.

Not that I was weaving in and out of lanes in that video, but changing
lanes whilst filtering through lanes of queues is one situation I have
to be a lot more careful of visibility on the 'bent than on my fixed
upright. That's because my legs come out into lane spaces first, and
it's thus harder to check for other filtering two wheelers. Another
is whilst stopped at T-junctions, but otherwise the 'bent wins out in
terms of being seen, comfort, and on speed.

I tend to feel a lot safer on the bent than on the upright, though I'm
sure I take full advantage of that perception in my riding.

On Oct 29, 8:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> From the off you had
> one idiot forcing past you before the bollards. What a joke!

Yes, that was in the grey area of my comfort zone. I had the option
of stopping the overtake by owning the lane, or of letting them both
through. This time I chose to let them both through since they were
only cars.

On 30/10/2007 20:51, LSMike said,

> I don't believe I overtook anyone turning right. Sure, there were two
> slightly pushy overtakes at roughly 2:07 and 2:21, but otherwise it's
> completely normal London filtering.

I meant that someone coming towards you was turning right and appeared
to have to move back to the left to avoid you. 02:20

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 30/10/2007 20:51, LSMike said,
>
>> I don't believe I overtook anyone turning right. Sure, there were two
>> slightly pushy overtakes at roughly 2:07 and 2:21, but otherwise it's
>> completely normal London filtering.

> I meant that someone coming towards you was turning right and appeared
> to have to move back to the left to avoid you. 02:20

That was my area of concern too. I have no problems with helmet cam vids
etc and people complaining about car driver behaviour but if they're
going to post vids on youtube and comment on others driving skills I'd
hope they were flawless themselves or they set themselves up for being
shot down in flames by those "on the other side" - think thats why id
rather not post vids of my own riding :)

On 30 Oct, 22:03, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 30/10/2007 20:51, LSMike said,
>
> > I don't believe I overtook anyone turning right. Sure, there were two
> > slightly pushy overtakes at roughly 2:07 and 2:21, but otherwise it's
> > completely normal London filtering.

> I meant that someone coming towards you was turning right and appeared
> to have to move back to the left to avoid you. 02:20
>
> --
> Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Oh yes, I agree. I'm quite happy to get comments on my riding, in the
past it's been a good way to learn and improve. We all make mistakes,
even the most experienced riders, in which I wouldn't include myself.

LSMike said the following on 31/10/2007 07:19:

> Oh yes, I agree. I'm quite happy to get comments on my riding, in the
> past it's been a good way to learn and improve. We all make mistakes,
> even the most experienced riders, in which I wouldn't include myself.

I don't think any of us are exactly perfect :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:39 pm, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I must admit that there were a few moments when I was wincing waiting
> > for the crash, wondering if that was the point of the video! Overtaking
> > a queue on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, especially
> > when one car is turning right and moving to the right is not good. I
> > hope the anti-cyclist brigade don't get to see that - it will be more
> > ammo for them.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> I don't believe I overtook anyone turning right. Sure, there were two
> slightly pushy overtakes at roughly 2:07 and 2:21, but otherwise it's
> completely normal London filtering.

i don't think there was either just brake lights, fairly difficult to
tell at least with out pauseing etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

LSMike wrote:

> Visibility is better than is perhaps apparent from the video. It's
> only the really tightly packed traffic that is more difficult on my
> Hurricane.

How do you see what's behind you? I didn't see much head-turning or any
mirrors.

Roger Thorpe

On Nov 1, 1:19 pm, Roger Thorpe
<[email protected]> wrote:
> LSMike wrote:
>
> > Visibility is better than is perhaps apparent from the video. It's
> > only the really tightly packed traffic that is more difficult on my
> > Hurricane.

> How do you see what's behind you? I didn't see much head-turning or any
> mirrors.
>
> Roger Thorpe

That would be because the camera is mounted on my handlebars. :)

Paul Boyd wrote:
> LSMike said the following on 02/11/2007 11:51:
>
>> It's this "helmet" camera:
>> http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/
>>

> Ah - is it? Excellent - that answers a query I had about the very same
> model. Yes, it does work well :)
>
> Any quirks/problems I perhaps ought to know about if, hypothetically
> speaking of course, I was to buy one?

With the camera you also need a decent (2Gb) memory card, and some
decent NiMh batteries.

Been using one daily for nearly six months.
Pros- It works, It appears to still be water proof.
IMHO my cycling skills have improved since using it.

Cons- Not very good in the dark.

Not very good at picking up number plates, you have to be close.
Also not brilliant in the rain.

The beep on pressing buttons seems to have died in the last month.

Sound is not very good, don't expect to pick up more than the sound
of tyres on the road, and changing gears etc.

The bracket is weak, both the handle bar bracket and "bolt" have
broken, but replacements can be bought online.
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC2K_Related_Accessories.html

And of course the first time I forgot to pick it up, I could have
done with it.

On the whole I would have said it was value for money.

Martin.