AMB-ID '05 Campsite Proposal Location and Date

Paladin

Guest
Howdy. This forum is an easy way to spam the usual suspects, and those who
don't care can just ignore it.

All the great lakeside campsites are taken up by dem dam Californians, no
doubt.

But there's a very convenient site available on the Wood River, halfway
betweed Sun Valley and Stanley, on the south side of Galena Summit. Looks
fairly close to the highway, but O well, the scenery will be found mostly
on the rides, not frying up dead animal parts and rehydrating with barley
drinks back at the campsite.

If I'm hearing everybody, they want the 19th of Aug weekend. Will you be
back by then, Penny?

Jim n Carla, how're those dates if you were planning on returning?

If that's fine, or if I don't hear back, I'll reserve a couple 3 spots for
Thurs thru Sat nts.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/id/easl/newindex.html

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> Howdy. This forum is an easy way to spam the usual suspects, and
> those who don't care can just ignore it.
>
> All the great lakeside campsites are taken up by dem dam
> Californians, no doubt.
>
> But there's a very convenient site available on the Wood River,
> halfway betweed Sun Valley and Stanley, on the south side of Galena
> Summit. Looks fairly close to the highway, but O well, the scenery
> will be found mostly on the rides, not frying up dead animal parts
> and rehydrating with barley drinks back at the campsite.
>
> If I'm hearing everybody, they want the 19th of Aug weekend. Will
> you be back by then, Penny?

Put it this way... I have no idea. He hasn't picked a U yet.

If that's the weekend for the majority... so be it. I will do my darndest
to get there.

P.

small change wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>
>>Howdy. This forum is an easy way to spam the usual suspects, and
>>those who don't care can just ignore it.
>>
>>All the great lakeside campsites are taken up by dem dam
>>Californians, no doubt.
>>
>>But there's a very convenient site available on the Wood River,
>>halfway betweed Sun Valley and Stanley, on the south side of Galena
>>Summit. Looks fairly close to the highway, but O well, the scenery
>>will be found mostly on the rides, not frying up dead animal parts
>>and rehydrating with barley drinks back at the campsite.
>>
>>If I'm hearing everybody, they want the 19th of Aug weekend. Will
>>you be back by then, Penny?
>>

> Put it this way... I have no idea. He hasn't picked a U yet.
>
> If that's the weekend for the majority... so be it. I will do my darndest
> to get there.
>
> P.

Darn! I was hoping for the early one. Oh Well. My club has picked
Idaho for our western trip this year (thanks to Paladin's pics and my
coaxing). It will be late August or early September. Of course the
primadonas don't want to cook so we're arranging a custom tour with
Western Spirit. Now we need to decide just where in Idaho we want to
go. Airfare is only running $250 round trip!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Darn! I was hoping for the early one. Oh Well. My club has picked
> Idaho for our western trip this year (thanks to Paladin's pics and my
> coaxing). It will be late August or early September. Of course the
> primadonas don't want to cook so we're arranging a custom tour with
> Western Spirit. Now we need to decide just where in Idaho we want to
> go. Airfare is only running $250 round trip!

I have such a hard time getting my head around the "tour" thing. I've been
more of the type to load my camping gear into my pack and check it through,
pick up a few maps, rent a car and go explore. Or, if I'm lucky enough to
have friends in the hood, have them show me around, loan me a car....
Maybe I'm biased towards being a do it yourselfer, either that or our years
of "private" boating have soured us to outfitters as a species. That, and
the season my hubby spent as a guide.

I'm sure there are good ones out there, and I would sure do my homework
before I ever put down money.

Primadonnas who don't want to cook aside ( or set up their own tents, or
unroll their own bags, or do the dishes...) $950 for a week of singletrack
and camping? Renting camping gear and bike is extra of course. Beer is not
included.

I'd do it like this. $100 worth of groceries, and the camping kit. Throw
in the gazetteer for that state, a few FS maps, bike guide for that area,
printouts from the net and friend's recommendations. Fill the gas tank.
Find some free FS camping. Ride a lot. Cook good food. Find a swimming hole.
Rinse, repeat for a few days.

OK, I'm ranting and spoiled as a do it yourselfer. This is my idea of an RV
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/penny/images/funmobile.jpg

WS looks like a decent outfit if you have to do it that way....but....

penny

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Darn! I was hoping for the early one. Oh Well. My club has picked
>>Idaho for our western trip this year (thanks to Paladin's pics and my
>>coaxing). It will be late August or early September. Of course the
>>primadonas don't want to cook so we're arranging a custom tour with
>>Western Spirit. Now we need to decide just where in Idaho we want to
>>go. Airfare is only running $250 round trip!

> I have such a hard time getting my head around the "tour" thing. I've been
> more of the type to load my camping gear into my pack and check it through,
> pick up a few maps, rent a car and go explore. Or, if I'm lucky enough to
> have friends in the hood, have them show me around, loan me a car....
> Maybe I'm biased towards being a do it yourselfer, either that or our years
> of "private" boating have soured us to outfitters as a species. That, and
> the season my hubby spent as a guide.
>
> I'm sure there are good ones out there, and I would sure do my homework
> before I ever put down money.
>
> Primadonnas who don't want to cook aside ( or set up their own tents, or
> unroll their own bags, or do the dishes...) $950 for a week of singletrack
> and camping? Renting camping gear and bike is extra of course. Beer is not
> included.
>
> I'd do it like this. $100 worth of groceries, and the camping kit. Throw
> in the gazetteer for that state, a few FS maps, bike guide for that area,
> printouts from the net and friend's recommendations. Fill the gas tank.
> Find some free FS camping. Ride a lot. Cook good food. Find a swimming hole.
> Rinse, repeat for a few days.
>
> OK, I'm ranting and spoiled as a do it yourselfer. This is my idea of an RV
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/penny/images/funmobile.jpg
>
> WS looks like a decent outfit if you have to do it that way....but....
>
> penny

I agree with you. I was pushing for cheap because I am already spending
$1450 + air on a Copper Canyon trip next month. I was figuring we could
do the whole thing for $450 - $500 a person including air. They were
even trying to find housing instead of tents. I drew the line there.
While I like creature comforts as much as anyone else, us urban area
folk don't get to see stars very often. If we're going to the
wilderness, then we should be a little closer to nature.

The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and cook.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> I agree with you. I was pushing for cheap because I am already
> spending $1450 + air on a Copper Canyon trip next month. I was
> figuring we could do the whole thing for $450 - $500 a person
> including air. They were even trying to find housing instead of
> tents. I drew the line there.

Can you say "thermarest deluxe"?

While I like creature comforts as much
> as anyone else, us urban area folk don't get to see stars very often.
> If we're going to the wilderness, then we should be a little closer
> to nature.

duh, you are going to Idaho...

> The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
> pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and
> cook.

oh, the tales I could tell you from hanging around a raft guide camp for a
summer.....
Hee-hee, I married one of them....

Penny

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
> pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and cook.

I still don't understand that whole mindset. If you're going custom tour
I'd rather get advice from respected a.m-bers on rides and bribing a
non-riding friend into coming along to cook and drive. ****, it hasn't
taken much to get me to drive support for my old off-road motorcycle
buddies. Penny's idea of adventure sounds a helluva lot more fun than a
"custom" tour.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
>>pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and cook.
>>

> I still don't understand that whole mindset. If you're going custom tour
> I'd rather get advice from respected a.m-bers on rides and bribing a
> non-riding friend into coming along to cook and drive. ****, it hasn't
> taken much to get me to drive support for my old off-road motorcycle
> buddies. Penny's idea of adventure sounds a helluva lot more fun than a
> "custom" tour.
>
> Greg

Again, I agree. However, it's a majority rules kind of thing. City
folk don't adapt well to the country. I think it's a security thing.
They just don't feel secure being on their own. No one in the club has
camped *that* much, especially in a remote setting. It doesn't matter,
we'll have fun anyway. I'm kind of picky about food which is why I
wanted a tourless trip. This way I can eat my hot dogs every night and
they can have their beans. I don't eat beans. No way, never! Hate
'em! The tours love beans. On the Kokopelli tour I had to basically
eat lettuce and cheese one night. Mexico is going to be a huge
challenge for me, food wise.

I would have gone to the AMB-ID gathering if it were the weekend after
my Vail work trip.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Again, I agree. However, it's a majority rules kind of thing.

only if you let it.

City
> folk don't adapt well to the country. I think it's a security thing.
> They just don't feel secure being on their own.

That's horse ****.. I'm a south side Chicago girl, lived urban all my life.
Either you are comfortable in the out of doors or you are not, being from
the city has little to do with it. I will agree that it is an acquired skill
is all. Haiving a nice thermarest helps.

You better not tell your friends that there are wolves and grizzly bears in
Idaho.

No one in the club
> has camped *that* much, especially in a remote setting.

OK, I'll buy that. Not really. Remote would be three days into the Frank
Church River of No Return Wilderess by foot, horse or boat, You'll likely
be more remote during the day on single track than you will at night.
This trip at 160 miles from the nearest road, is remote. If we had any
trouble our only hope was to signal an aircraft.:
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/towa/alcamp.htm
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/walker/chezwalker.htm

It doesn't
> matter, we'll have fun anyway. I'm kind of picky about food which is
> why I wanted a tourless trip. This way I can eat my hot dogs every
> night and they can have their beans. I don't eat beans. No way,
> never! Hate 'em! The tours love beans. On the Kokopelli tour I had
> to basically eat lettuce and cheese one night. Mexico is going to be
> a huge challenge for me, food wise.

You'd think with those fancy dutch ovens, they'd be doing some real camp
cooking like, lasagna, enchiladas, pork roast in brandy cream sauce, thai
wraps, pineapple upside down cake.... Or, they could bring a grill for some
sirloin steaks...That's the kind of food I cook when camping. Beans are
good for you, anyway.

> I would have gone to the AMB-ID gathering if it were the weekend after
> my Vail work trip.

You could still - how much vacation ya got? It's not set in stone yet.

G.T. wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>> The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
>> pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and
>> cook.
>>

> I still don't understand that whole mindset. If you're going custom
> tour I'd rather get advice from respected a.m-bers on rides and
> bribing a non-riding friend into coming along to cook and drive.
> ****, it hasn't taken much to get me to drive support for my old
> off-road motorcycle buddies. Penny's idea of adventure sounds a
> helluva lot more fun than a "custom" tour.
>
> Greg

thanks,

we have a lot of fun doing it this way. Our Alaska raft trip was the best. A
buddy got the permit on a lottery. We drove all our gear up on our trailer
through BC. We had all the maps, guides etc, lots of experienced folks
along, all friends. We did our homework for what two weeks in the Alaska
Range could be like. Our friend arranged the shuttle and the flight out. We
planned food for two weeks, and every one took turns cooking. It was
incredible. I won't tell you how much it costs to go down the
Tatshenshini with an outfitter... only that is was less for a family of four
who outfitted themselves, including the plane flight out, than a single
person with a guide.
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/tat.htm

Mitch, I'm just messing with you... not everyone has the gear, the desire, &
know how to do what we do.

penny

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Again, I agree. However, it's a majority rules kind of thing.

> only if you let it.

I've been there two years and others five. I'm already one of the
outspoken ones (just my nature). I'd rather not ruffle any feathers.

> City
>
>>folk don't adapt well to the country. I think it's a security thing.
>>They just don't feel secure being on their own.

> That's horse ****.. I'm a south side Chicago girl, lived urban all my life.
> Either you are comfortable in the out of doors or you are not, being from
> the city has little to do with it. I will agree that it is an acquired skill
> is all. Haiving a nice thermarest helps.

You should see what some of these people bring to our BIMPING trips.
They have queen size air mattresses, portable generators. Ack! That's
not camping.

> You better not tell your friends that there are wolves and grizzly bears in
> Idaho.

LOL! Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

> No one in the club
>
>>has camped *that* much, especially in a remote setting.

> OK, I'll buy that. Not really. Remote would be three days into the Frank
> Church River of No Return Wilderess by foot, horse or boat, You'll likely
> be more remote during the day on single track than you will at night.
> This trip at 160 miles from the nearest road, is remote. If we had any
> trouble our only hope was to signal an aircraft.:
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/towa/alcamp.htm
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/walker/chezwalker.htm

Let's not forget that you married a camping expert. It's sort of "in
the family", now.

> It doesn't
>
>>matter, we'll have fun anyway. I'm kind of picky about food which is
>>why I wanted a tourless trip. This way I can eat my hot dogs every
>>night and they can have their beans. I don't eat beans. No way,
>>never! Hate 'em! The tours love beans. On the Kokopelli tour I had
>>to basically eat lettuce and cheese one night. Mexico is going to be
>>a huge challenge for me, food wise.

> You'd think with those fancy dutch ovens, they'd be doing some real camp
> cooking like, lasagna, enchiladas, pork roast in brandy cream sauce, thai
> wraps, pineapple upside down cake.... Or, they could bring a grill for some
> sirloin steaks...That's the kind of food I cook when camping. Beans are
> good for you, anyway.

They do cook the things you mentioned. It was only one day that the
beans displayed their ugly little heads. I know they are good for you,
but I just can't get the consistancy past my tongue.

>>I would have gone to the AMB-ID gathering if it were the weekend after
>>my Vail work trip.

> You could still - how much vacation ya got? It's not set in stone yet.

I have the vacation, but I have two other things to deal with:

1. Money, or lack there of it.
2. Family. They don't camp, don't bike, and they need a vacation too.
Not that I think camping and biking 40 miles a day is a vacation.

We'll see. Maybe I can work something out.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

small change wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>The good thing is that we are doing a custom tour. So we will get to
>>>pick where we want to go. Basically, it's like having a guide and
>>>cook.
>>>

>>I still don't understand that whole mindset. If you're going custom
>>tour I'd rather get advice from respected a.m-bers on rides and
>>bribing a non-riding friend into coming along to cook and drive.
>>****, it hasn't taken much to get me to drive support for my old
>>off-road motorcycle buddies. Penny's idea of adventure sounds a
>>helluva lot more fun than a "custom" tour.
>>
>>Greg

> thanks,

<snip>

> Mitch, I'm just messing with you... not everyone has the gear, the desire, &
> know how to do what we do.
>
> penny

I know that. Trust me, I would love to rough it. I had a pretty easy
life up to now. My parents didn't camp. Well, they thought renting a
trailer in a Cape May campground was camping.

Even the Escape Adventure trip I took was a big step for me. I had
never set up a tent before that. I enjoyed it so much that I bought
some nice gear and have done a few camping trips since then. Now I need
to find a backpack so I can get far enough away from the car.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> 2. .....Not that I think camping and biking 40 miles a day is a
> vacation.

Damn Mitch, I believe you need to re-think your priorities.<g>

What I'd give for a vacation like that.

Gary (salivating)

GeeDubb wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>2. .....Not that I think camping and biking 40 miles a day is a
>>vacation.

> Damn Mitch, I believe you need to re-think your priorities.<g>
>
> What I'd give for a vacation like that.
>
> Gary (salivating)

Nah. I like it. I just think a vacation is more of sitting around
doing absolutely no work or strenuous activity. However, I would go
crazy with boredom in about five minutes. Some people like that, but
I'll take the ride any day!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

..

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> I know that. Trust me, I would love to rough it. I had a pretty easy
> life up to now. My parents didn't camp. Well, they thought renting a
> trailer in a Cape May campground was camping.
>
> Even the Escape Adventure trip I took was a big step for me. I had
> never set up a tent before that. I enjoyed it so much that I bought
> some nice gear and have done a few camping trips since then. Now I
> need to find a backpack so I can get far enough away from the car.

I thought setting up the tents was what you were paying the guides to do!
Maybe things have changed.... when the hubby was a boating guide, they set
up tents took 'em down, basically did everything for the peeps who just sat
on their.....

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>I know that. Trust me, I would love to rough it. I had a pretty easy
>>life up to now. My parents didn't camp. Well, they thought renting a
>>trailer in a Cape May campground was camping.
>>
>>Even the Escape Adventure trip I took was a big step for me. I had
>>never set up a tent before that. I enjoyed it so much that I bought
>>some nice gear and have done a few camping trips since then. Now I
>>need to find a backpack so I can get far enough away from the car.

> I thought setting up the tents was what you were paying the guides to do!
> Maybe things have changed.... when the hubby was a boating guide, they set
> up tents took 'em down, basically did everything for the peeps who just sat
> on their.....

No. We have to setup and break down our own tents. They cook and
clean, provide first aid (which I needed on the first day of the
Kokopelli :)), and if you rent one of their bikes they will service it.
I had a three person tent with four poles. It was not easy setting
that thing up alone. I love my LLBean tent. It's super light and I can
set it up myself in about five minutes.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Again, I agree. However, it's a majority rules kind of thing.

> only if you let it.
>
> City>>
>> I would have gone to the AMB-ID gathering if it were the weekend after
>> my Vail work trip.

> You could still - how much vacation ya got? It's not set in stone yet.

Yeah, I'm still open to the first or 2nd August weekend, gotta get a firm
confirm from Jerome. We gave last year's weekend to Penny, and that cut JD
out. (Hard to please everybody, but we really try) This year, his turn to
go first.

CDB

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> 2. .....Not that I think camping and biking 40 miles a day is a
>> vacation.

> Damn Mitch, I believe you need to re-think your priorities.<g>
>
> What I'd give for a vacation like that.
>
> Gary (salivating)

Now you need to get a vision for Idaho back country epics. We'll take a 16
mile ride and turn it into an all day affair, complete with breaks,
swimming, showing off, loafing, eating, more swimming, more loafing,
sweeping the stragglers, bragging. Eating. And Riding.

Last year was a bit of an exception where we tacked on an optional 10 mi
bonus that only a couple idiots bit off.

CDB