Another cycling letter in the local paper

<snip>

> However, if people don't want this sort of thing on a cycling NG then I won't waste my time
> posting it here.

Carry on simon, and ignore any complaints. It isn't spam, it isn't binary, it can be ignored by
those who don't like it as it's tiny.

cheers, clive

>Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?

Entirely possibly Marc :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Don't stop posting these snippets Simon, local newspapers are a great form of entertainment
especially the Going On letters like this. I think I'll start taking the bike on the bus through
Leeds until I get to some quieter roads on which to ride. Hope P Arundell was actually watching
where he was going whilst snapping the cyclists, I have visions of that poor Policemen at the Tour
that time and that German guy at the top of Alp D'Huez !! At least Jalabert and that Italian rider
were on the road !

> [email protected] (marc) wrote in message
news:<1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]>...
> > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
> >
> > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and
> > forth to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion,
> > and never a hint about that the original post was about.
>
> At first I thought you meant that we don't want to download tedious letters from obscure
> provincial newspapers about people riding on pavements, in which case I would save my time and web
> space by not putting them on the 'net in the first place.
>
> Then I realised that you meant that I should put up a description of the item along these lines.
> "In our local paper today a parent whose teenage daughter was injured by a pavement cyclist
> complained to the police who sent round an inspector to discuss the matter with them. The
> inspector assured the parent that additional police resources would be diverted to the problem
> area. The parent has seen no evidence of this and indeed went so far as to take photos of the
> cyclists. While the parent accepts that the police have a difficult enough job as it is they feel
> that there should be some action on clamping down on the problem."
>
> Now, if I had written this then the posting of the URL would have been futile, since anyone can
> work the above out for themselves by reading the letter. It needs no introduction at all. The
> reader's thought processes would then conclude that even if someone goes to all the trouble that
> this parent did, then it is still very unlikely that a pavement cyclist will get fined.
>
> The post need not have been intended to initiate a discussion thread; indeed the other post about
> constructing a sports stadium with a dedicated cycle track to the front door along with 300 stands
> was not intended to create a thread. It was merely to show that the needs of cyclist were
> pre-eminent in the designer's minds, ahead of cars since these have to be left in the city centre.
> However, if people don't want this sort of thing on a cycling NG then I won't waste my time
> posting it here.
>
> Simom

In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> writes
>>Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?
>
>Entirely possibly Marc :)
>
>Cheers, helen s

Er, not quite. Postings that are just URLs are REAALLLYYY annoying if you read NGs offline. Not
everyone has, or wants, broadband or an unmetered account. Some people, like Helen, appear to make
the effort to paste the text into the posting too. OK, I suppose Simon doesn't have character
recognition software so he can easily post the text but this doesn't invalidate Marc's observation
that if everyone just posted URLs the attraction of Usenet would disappear.
--
Michael MacClancy

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?
>
> Entirely possibly Marc :)

Looks like it doesn't it! :)

On 7 Mar 2003 09:19:41 -0800, Simon Mason scrawled: ) Now, if I had written this then the posting of
the URL would have ) been futile, since anyone can work the above out for themselves by ) reading
the letter. It needs no introduction at all.

This is not always the case, though. Keep posting the snippets, as I find them generally a good
distraction from work; ---but those of us with occasionally (very) slow connections would appreciate
summaries when e.g. large images are concerned. Just "story about a cyclist with two heads" would be
enough. Summaries need not give away the whole plot; think dust-jacket blurb!

J-P
--
Subject: [Dept] Fire Strikes tests=DEAR_SOMEBODY,KNOWN_MAILING_LIST, LINES_OF_YELLING,
MIME_NULL_BLOCK version=2.43

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:24:44 +0000, Michael MacClancy scrawled: ) Er, not quite. Postings that are
just URLs are REAALLLYYY annoying if ) you read NGs offline. Not everyone has, or wants, broadband
or an ) unmetered account. Some people, like Helen, appear to make the effort ) to paste the text
into the posting too.

For similar reasons, mind, those of us who read off narrowband connections do not want to have to
download the whole article as part of an already busy newsgroup, if a URL makes the download
optional. It's a thought.

uk.rec.cycling.binaries, anyone?

J-P
--
You lock me in the cellar and feed me PINS! ... PINS!

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... OK, I suppose Simon doesn't
> have character recognition software so he can easily post the text but this doesn't invalidate
> Marc's observation that if everyone just posted URLs the attraction of Usenet would disappear.

I do have OCR and when I first started posting texts from newspaper articles four years ago, I used
it to post the full text. This then caused two problems, first people would complain that there was
too much text to download and also that they were skeptical about the article even existing in the
first place which meant I had to scan the page to show it was genuine anyway.

So I decided just to post a short URL to satify everybody, then there were "complaints" about not
using a black sheet of paper to stop the backside bleeding through and now that there is not a full
description of what the letter is about, which is where we came in :)

Anyway, I have a "contractual obligation" to scan the outcome of the lardy 4 WD driver who ran into
a bloke with his small daughter in a trailer, so I'll do that when it is printed. Simon

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:57:59 +0000 someone who may be [email protected] (marc) wrote this:-

>Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?

No. I think it polite to add a few words or a sentence to explain why someone might want to look
at the URL.

I have found that if someone posts just a URL then it is probably not worth the bother of
looking at it.

"j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote: ( ... Just "story about a cyclist with two heads" )
would be enough. ...

Ah, you saw him too; so I wasn't just imagining it.

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:29:16 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones scrawled: ) ( ... Just "story about a cyclist
with two heads" ) ) would be enough. ... ) ) Ah, you saw him too

I didn't really. Perhaps you saw two cyclists with one body.

CRB was talking about someone with a "microcephalic head" last night. It reminded me of the Richard
E Grant film.

J-P
--
"How much is it to get into the party?" Translation:Where can I score some drugs?