Another cycling letter in the local paper

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Tags:


  2. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  4. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm

    Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that has
    gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth to
    each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a
    hint about that the original post was about.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
     
  5. In message <1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]>, marc
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    >
    >Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that has
    >gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth to
    >each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a
    >hint about that the original post was about.
    >
    >

    I'm relatively new to NGs. I assume that the practice of posting URLs has grown as more people have
    access to ADSL etc. It doesn't make much sense when you do most of your reading offline.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    >
    > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
    > to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
    > a hint about that the original post was about.

    In this case Simon has been commenting on several letters in his local press so I think it makes
    sense to do it this way.

    Sometimes a URL is a good way to provide data -- especially in answer to a specific question.

    The growth of broadband certainly makes it an easier option though it would be bad if we lost some
    of the repartee or this NG.

    T
     
  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    >
    > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
    > to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
    > a hint about that the original post was about.

    OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
     
  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  10. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
    > > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    > >
    > > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and
    > > forth to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion,
    > > and never a hint about that the original post was about.
    >
    > OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.
    >

    I enjoyed it, please continue ...
     
  11. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > >
    > > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    > >
    > > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?
    >
    > Depends - Simon's is a picture, so needs to be.

    Is it? How do you know without going there?

    > If it's text from an online news source, ie cut and paste is easy, then I prefer if it is
    > included.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
     
  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >
    > > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    > >
    > > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and
    > > forth to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion,
    > > and never a hint about that the original post was about.
    >
    > OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.

    Could you explain how giving an explanation here of your URL would save room on your webserver?

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
     
  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > > > > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    > > > >
    > > > > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?
    > > >
    > > > Depends - Simon's is a picture, so needs to be.
    > >
    > > Is it?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > How do you know without going there?
    >
    > You don't. Do you need to?

    If I want to follow this thread, yes.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
     
  15. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    >
    > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
    > to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
    > a hint about that the original post was about.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    > http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

    Sorry mate but I can't see your argument. Simon was making a valid point which could only really be
    made by with the picture. HRH Prince William is a cyclist too! :))

    Pete White
     
  16. In message <[email protected]>, Pete White <[email protected]> writes
    >Sorry mate but I can't see your argument.

    For those of us who still read NGs off-line URLs are a real pain.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    marc <[email protected]> wrote:

    > " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a hint about that the original post
    > was about.

    I thought the hint was in the Subject line to which I added my knowledge of Simon's previous posts
    on the topic.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn
     
  18. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Pete White <[email protected]> writes
    > >Sorry mate but I can't see your argument.
    >
    > For those of us who still read NGs off-line URLs are a real pain.
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    True, particularly if you're still on a dial-up like me, but sometimes the best option is to post a
    URL. If it was a non-regular of u.r.c that had posted, then I might have a problem with it. It
    slightly annoys me when someone posts a URL of E-bay auctions here just to sell something bike
    related (unless of course I'm looking for something, natch) AND it also annoys me when people try to
    post pictures (not that this example of extreme idiocy happens here) direct to a newsgroup.

    But your point is well made.

    Pete White
     
  19. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    [email protected] (marc) wrote in message
    news:<1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]>...
    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
    >
    > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
    > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
    > to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
    > a hint about that the original post was about.

    At first I thought you meant that we don't want to download tedious letters from obscure provincial
    newspapers about people riding on pavements, in which case I would save my time and web space by not
    putting them on the 'net in the first place.

    Then I realised that you meant that I should put up a description of the item along these lines.
    "In our local paper today a parent whose teenage daughter was injured by a pavement cyclist
    complained to the police who sent round an inspector to discuss the matter with them. The inspector
    assured the parent that additional police resources would be diverted to the problem area. The
    parent has seen no evidence of this and indeed went so far as to take photos of the cyclists. While
    the parent accepts that the police have a difficult enough job as it is they feel that there should
    be some action on clamping down on the problem."

    Now, if I had written this then the posting of the URL would have been futile, since anyone can
    work the above out for themselves by reading the letter. It needs no introduction at all. The
    reader's thought processes would then conclude that even if someone goes to all the trouble that
    this parent did, then it is still very unlikely that a pavement cyclist will get fined.

    The post need not have been intended to initiate a discussion thread; indeed the other post about
    constructing a sports stadium with a dedicated cycle track to the front door along with 300 stands
    was not intended to create a thread. It was merely to show that the needs of cyclist were
    pre-eminent in the designer's minds, ahead of cars since these have to be left in the city centre.
    However, if people don't want this sort of thing on a cycling NG then I won't waste my time
    posting it here.

    Simom
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...