Any teachers here that commute on their bikes?

MrCjolsen

Jun 20, 2004
Do you/can you keep your bike in your classroom?

What do your students think of your bike?

My first graders didn't seem that interested in the shiny new Trek parked behind their teachers desk. I think it was because the bike was so big and they knew that they couldn't possibly ride or get on it so they almost didn't notice it.

Today, I needed to park it by the white board where it was much more in their line of sight. A million questions ensued .... "how fast is it?" "What's that black pointy thing" "Why do you have two brakes" "How come the seat's so high. Are you afriaid you'll fall?"

MrCjolsen said:

My first graders didn't seem that interested in the shiny new Trek parked behind their teachers desk. I think it was because the bike was so big and they knew that they couldn't possibly ride or get on it so they almost didn't notice it.

Today, I needed to park it by the white board where it was much more in their line of sight. A million questions ensued .... "how fast is it?" "What's that black pointy thing" "Why do you have two brakes" "How come the seat's so high. Are you afriaid you'll fall?"

Just for kicks, borrow a recumbent and bring it to the classroom sometime. I'll bet you will have kids all over it and tons more questions to answer. One time I rode to one of the local 4-H gatherings to see if everything was going OK. There was a million questions and even some of the leaders sat on the bike! Definately an attention getter.

Doing what you are doing definately points out to kids that cycling can be a viable alternative mode of transportation, and something they can enjoy through adulthood. Keep it up. It is great.

'bent Brian

On sunny days, I bike to school. I believe that it is not the bike that draw my fifth graders', and my colleagues' as well, attention. It is the appearance when I turn up in school with a colorful helmet, a sunglasses, and a pro team jersey on me that really arouses their curiosity. As a sport, cycling is not as popular as baseball or basketball on the island. But I'll just enjoy my riding anyway. :rolleyes:

I have in the past. I taught in a poor area, and my 3rd graders thought a "real" bike with Rock Shox and other cool stuff was awesome. I got them more interested in riding their own bicycles. Some of the older and stuffier teachers thought I was nuts, but whatever. I would very much like to commute now, but the distance is just too great. Keep it up. With kids getting fatter, lazier, and having "play time" consist of Playstation and potato chips (I like it too, but in moderation), they need an active role mode. Keep forging an a mentally and physically fit future!

Aye, I totally agree. But obviously as a teacher you should also teach the kiddies about safety like wearing a helmet, looking for traffic, etc. All I know is that I first started biking at the age of five and instantly fell in love because of the speed, but... I didn't use a helmet because there was no one around to instill that value into me. It's a wonder that I'm still alive.

And I do feel sorry for kids who live in less fortunate areas because part of me thinks that riding a "real" bike with name brand componentry is something like flaunting your wealth. *sigh* I dunno. I come from a pretty poor background and the price difference between a Pacific at Toys R Us and a Trek/GT/whathaveyou is just too great for many people. But hey, in the end it's the riding that counts, but if a big clunky Mongoose or NEXT makes riding not fun for that kid, then it kinda destroys everything.

Wow, I just reread my post and it's got to be the most disjointed piece of writing I've done in a while...

Heck, I remember riding a Huffy Thunder Road bike when I was young and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Even my first "real" bike, a Raleigh Technium something with index shifting, was not exactly TDF material, but I bought it with my own $300 and loved it. I would love to start one of those programs that take in unwanted bikes, fix them up, and then give them to kids in need, but I just don't have the time to figure it all out. Helmets weren't really around when I was kid, at least not like they are now, but my kids always ride with one, as I do. Set an example, and others will follow.

I commute to school, September to December and March to June. I ride 21 kms each direction. I keep my bike in a locked storage room right beside the staff lockers and change room. My ride is a mixture of residential and industrial roads and one short jaunt along a sidewalk. Reasonably safe and a wonderful way to get to work. If I didn't play so much hockey I would probably attempt more rides in the winter. Take care and please try commuting.
Hockey
:)

MrCjolsen said:

They caught mine right away. I was doing a parade in the town where I work and I brought in my highly modified Schwinn Trike (it's a Low-rider)- they loved it! I wish I could ride my roadie daily, and have from wifes work (about six miles away) but right now I am 26 miles away and the one thing I can't do is take a shower...I don't think my teen-agers would appreciate that after all the spring time deoderant pep talks I have given them:eek:

ghostpedal said:
I have in the past. I taught in a poor area, and my 3rd graders thought a "real" bike with Rock Shox and other cool stuff was awesome. I got them more interested in riding their own bicycles. Some of the older and stuffier teachers thought I was nuts, but whatever. I would very much like to commute now, but the distance is just too great. Keep it up. With kids getting fatter, lazier, and having "play time" consist of Playstation and potato chips (I like it too, but in moderation), they need an active role mode. Keep forging an a mentally and physically fit future!
I got you beat there- I show my kids videos of me and my friends skateboarding in pools at lunch time. The other teachers don't think I'm nuts, they know it...but oh well, the kids need someone around who does the things they like to do. I see them at the skatepark all the time and their parent's just think I'm brave:eek: