Anyone ride outside, on a trainer, in cold weather?

10kman

Aug 19, 2012
To change things up over the winter months, I want to move my trainer out to the garage to get some fresh, cooler air, and also just ward off mental burnout (watching tv for hours on end still stinks). I think I can trick myself into thinking it's not so bad if I get outside.

Anyway, I've done this a handful of times before, mainly because I was visiting my mom in northern New England, and I threw the trainer and bike in her garage, and rode. It was 21 degrees the last time I did this, and I started off in shorts, mesh base layer, and a long sleeve thermal top, and ended up with the thermal tossed over the bars and was sweating normally (no fan, just outside in the cold, door up, checking out the mountains). Within a minute of stopping, the wet clothing wasn't so fun, and I threw the thermal back on quick, cooled down and went inside. No harm, no foul.

I'm wondering if there are any issues sitting in such cold weather (or colder), pooling sweat. Are you generating enough heat to not worry about the cold? At home, I have a blower fan that I'd use even in the cold, just to move the air, but of course, it's still cold.

What's your clothing of choice if you do this?

Not sure why I'm complicating riding a bike on a trainer in a garage but that's what the internet is for I guess.

Thanks all,

I've thought about this a few times but decided the reliability of indoors was better. I use a cold garage and open the doors to keep it cool but still have a big fan right in front of me. Since moving to a Kickr I also need a power supply close by so outdoors isnt really appropriate any more.

I probably should have clarified outdoors as outdoors in a garage. Out in the potential elements would be terrible, but in a garage with door up was my thought.