Avid brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Johnny Klunk, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    During a brakes adjustment this afternoon I managed to strip the thread on my front brake arm (you
    know the bolt that threads into the arm to hold the cable? I stripped arm that it threads into).

    The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they didn't have any deores and I
    really need front brakes I went with them.

    Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
    they had in stock. Especially any special tips for fitting them properly.

    Aside from that, I didn't tighten the old ones too much. Certainly I don't think I over-tightened,
    and previously the cable had been slipping through slowly. They're only 6 months old and I'd really
    like Shimano to send me a new set/voucher/refund. Anyone had any experience here?

    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they
    didn't
    > have any deores and I really need front brakes I went with them.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
    > they had in stock. Especially any special tips
    for
    > fitting them properly.

    You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have been doing sterling service
    for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up is straight forward. If
    you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

    For some reviews go to:

    http://www.bikemagic.co.uk/review/reviewcategory.asp?sp=&v=1&RGN=4&RCN=23

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/brake_system/

    Pete

  3. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have
    been
    > doing sterling service for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up
    > is straight forward. If you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

    Cheers for the reviews. I'm not sure what model I've got (gotta walk down 3 cold flights of stairs
    to find out), but its only the arms- not the whole lot. Having put them on and taking for a ride
    today I was really happy. Quite controlled and firm when pulled on. I've had a poke about the net
    and the general feelings seems to rate them above the shimano stuff.

    Cheers