Avid brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Johnny Klunk, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Klunk

Johnny Klunk Guest

During a brakes adjustment this afternoon I managed to strip the thread on my front brake arm (you
    know the bolt that threads into the arm to hold the cable? I stripped arm that it threads into).

The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they didn't have any deores and I
    really need front brakes I went with them.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
    they had in stock. Especially any special tips for fitting them properly.

Aside from that, I didn't tighten the old ones too much. Certainly I don't think I over-tightened,
    and previously the cable had been slipping through slowly. They're only 6 months old and I'd really
    like Shimano to send me a new set/voucher/refund. Anyone had any experience here?

cheers

Tags:

2. Peter B

Peter B Guest

"Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they
    didn't
    > have any deores and I really need front brakes I went with them.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
    > they had in stock. Especially any special tips
    for
    > fitting them properly.

You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have been doing sterling service
    for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up is straight forward. If
    you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

For some reviews go to:

http://www.bikemagic.co.uk/review/reviewcategory.asp?sp=&v=1&RGN=4&RCN=23

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/brake_system/

Pete

3. Johnny Klunk

Johnny Klunk Guest

> You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have
    been
    > doing sterling service for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up
    > is straight forward. If you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

Cheers for the reviews. I'm not sure what model I've got (gotta walk down 3 cold flights of stairs
    to find out), but its only the arms- not the whole lot. Having put them on and taking for a ride
    today I was really happy. Quite controlled and firm when pulled on. I've had a poke about the net
    and the general feelings seems to rate them above the shimano stuff.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.