Barcroft Virginia GT

John F. Barnes

Guest
Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

"John F. Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

Have had my GT for nine months now. Replaced my V-Rex with it. I am 5' 7" and average build. I knew
for me this was the bike the first time I rode it. It just fit me well. I like its low stance (19")
which is lower than all but the low racers (which I have difficulty staying on anyway), its longer
more stable wheelbase (48"), and its stiff but (at the same time) compliant ride. I also like the
looks of the bike. I prefer the RANS steering (which it has) and while the RANS seat is fine, I am
anxiously awaiting Bill Cook's final testing of a possible carbon fiber seat. If not, I may, with
the help of Ben Fox, try to fabricate one (okay, Ben will do the work, I will pay for
it). The downside is that with the close configuration you are limited to narrow tires. But I find
this is one of its appealing qualities as well as being consistent with the overall image of the
bike. While I use it to commute, its forte is open road riding. The longer wheelbase gives it a
tad more of a learning curve but the more I ride it (800 + miles so far) the more I am convinced
that it combines for me all that I want, comfort, decent speed, nice handling, stability and
looks. Incidentally, Barcroft builds IMHO, top quality bikes. We have a Columbia tandem as well
with 1800 miles on it (ten months) and nothing has gone wrong with either bike after the initial
adjustments. They are solid performers.