beginner cyclist

lloyd464

Sep 27, 2005
Hi all could some one please help me with some training advise.
I am completely new to cycling, i recently purchased a road bike to help me get fit for motorcycle racing.
The main problem that i have is not cardiovascular fitness as i am reasonably fit but it is with what i would call fatigue after about 5km of riding my quads get extremely sore when i get off the bike i even battle to walk they feel like jelly, could you give me some advise on how to overcome this the proper way.

Hey there. Just ease up on the speed till you get used to riding a tredley. Go out at a slow to medium pace for the 5kms, and do that for a few rides, then up the pace a little, till you get used to that and so on and so forth. You are probably going at it hammer and tongs, and your legs dont know what hit 'em. Theres nothing wrong with riding slow.....

Give your muscles time to adapt, and all should be sweet

Anyone else??

LeojVS said:
Hey there. Just ease up on the speed till you get used to riding a tredley. Go out at a slow to medium pace for the 5kms, and do that for a few rides, then up the pace a little, till you get used to that and so on and so forth. You are probably going at it hammer and tongs, and your legs dont know what hit 'em. Theres nothing wrong with riding slow.....

Give your muscles time to adapt, and all should be sweet

Anyone else??
Sounds like grand advice to me!:)
You'll find that your body will adapt quickly; you'll probably be surprised at how far and how fast you can ride a month from now. Once you can ride for an hour or two and average 15 mph you might want to look into joining a local cycling club. The social aspect of cycling is wonderful and it makes staying fit almost pain-free!

L.

And spin your legs at a cadence of around 100 (that means ten revolutions per 6 seconds). It takes alot less out of your legs when you spin faster.

Jono L said:
And spin your legs at a cadence of around 100 (that means ten revolutions per 6 seconds). It takes alot less out of your legs when you spin faster.
That seems like a really high number for someone just starting. It's probably best to tell him a cadence of 80-100. It took me a while before I could comfortably ride at 90-95.
I don't like anything for myself higher than 95.

-Matt

lloyd464 said:
Hi all could some one please help me with some training advise.
I am completely new to cycling, i recently purchased a road bike to help me get fit for motorcycle racing.
The main problem that i have is not cardiovascular fitness as i am reasonably fit but it is with what i would call fatigue after about 5km of riding my quads get extremely sore when i get off the bike i even battle to walk they feel like jelly, could you give me some advise on how to overcome this the proper way.
Hi I am a beginner too. That's to say, I've only been road liking a year. So I know how you feel. When I first started, I didn't worry about speed or cadence. I just rode. you may be more competitive than I am. Still I have to think that just getting accustomed to the like is a big step. Don't rush it. In a surprisingly short time your legs will feel much stronger after a ride. Then the Rides can get longer & tougher & the pain will be in your back & neck! ;)