Bicycling Magazine subscription

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
> > Bicycling's portrayal of American cycling is flawed.
>
> Their goal is to sell magazines, not "portray cycling."

Their job is to portray shopping.

> Are the cars in Car and Driver typical of what you see on
the road?

> Are the women in Penthouse typical... well you get my
drift. <g>

It depends on where you live!

But maybe that applies to cycling mags too. And by that analogy, Kevan's point is well taken.

It's time for Buycycling to get out of Stepford, and into the country, or the 'hood, as the
case may be.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

: I would love to start a magazine or website featuring *all* cyclists, from around the world.
: Getting magazine

You want VeloVision

www.velovision.co.uk

Arthur

Lord Lester

Cori <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
> haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
> will take 4 to 6 weeks.)

Speaking of Bicycling Magazine, I just got the June issue yesterday. They have a big section about
how to improve your bike. I hope it's an April Fool or done tongue in cheek, but I don't think so.

Among other things, they suggest:

-Retension and true your wheels EVERY OTHER MONTH!

-Replace your tires and tubes with lighter ones because every ounce saved there is equal to two
ounces anywhere else on the bike.

Ya gotta love this stuff!

Art Harris

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote

> Bicycling ignores that segment completely -- both poor and minorities. The
big
> advertising money comes from companies selling expensive toys to
privileged
> white adults. So that is the market they aim for. And thus, Bicycling is
not an
> accurate portrayal of American cycling.

They don't buy expensive bikes and parts, and they don't buy bike magazines either. So they are
irrelevant to Buycycling.

Buycycling covers the 'sport' of cycling. There's no money to be made in mere transport.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, "Pete" <[email protected]> writes:

> They don't buy expensive bikes and parts, and they don't buy bike magazines either. So they are
> irrelevant to Buycycling.
>
> Buycycling covers the 'sport' of cycling. There's no money to be made in mere transport.

Maybe less affluent people are irrelevant to the magazine, but surely visible minorities per se
aren't so irrelevant?

I've never so much as flipped through a copy of Bicycling; Kevan makes it sound quite white bread.
I've also never heard of any restricted cycling clubs, so I figure there should be all kinds of
visible minorities represented in sport/competitive cycling. If so, and if the magazine _only_
depicts white people, something must be terribly wrong somewhere ...

I guess I'll have to have a critical look at the rag, myself.

cheers, Tom