big talking Greipel, nice to see

thunder

Jan 8, 2006
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/feb08/feb26news2

Edited by Bjorn Haake

Greipel comments on Tour Down Under

André Greipel answered fans' questions in a live chat on the Team High Road web site. The German sprinter, currently leading the ProTour, had a great start to the season, winning four stages of the Tour Down Under and taking the overall victory.

He is seeing his success in Australia a bit undervalued, stating that there was quite a competitive field at the start. "I think it's a pity that the race is made so small. There was a strong field and we clearly were the best." Greipel explained his good results in sunny Australia with staying injury-free over the winter.

He also emphasized that from the wattage numbers, he is the fastest High Road sprinter. After a little break following the race Down Under, he will go back to action in Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. A start at Het Volk on Saturday is still being discussed, but he will be working for the team in the classics races. His next shot to show off his sprinting capabilities will be in Paris-Nice, which runs from March 9 through 16. After that, he races Rund um Köln on home turf.

For him, it would be "a dream" to go to the Tour de France this year. He acknowledged that at the moment "it isn't easy for riders and fans. In Germany there are fewer and fewer stage races and that's not easy for the smaller teams," Greipel was aware of the far-reaching implications that the doping discussion has had in Germany.

As for the future in the team, he is hoping to sign a new contract soon. "I am very happy at High Road. Let's see what the management says. Three or four sprinters are almost too many." Should he renew the contract there is one thing he'd desperately would want to change – the jersey. "They look like a clown's outfit," Greipel mused, and take "some getting used to." When he won in Australia, he did so in the temporary black jersey the team wore in the beginning of the season.

It will be interesting to see what High Road's focus is in the GTs this year. Especially if Rogers is stung by the T-Mobile/Franke/Heidelberg thing, they might just become a sprint team. Plenty of options there, stage wins aplenty if they can get some teamwork going.

Greipel is easily ignored in a team with Cavendish and Ciolek--hey, even Eisel is there--but he made very good riders look pedestrian at the TDU. Good luck to him.

Drongo said:
It will be interesting to see what High Road's focus is in the GTs this year. Especially if Rogers is stung by the T-Mobile/Franke/Heidelberg thing, they might just become a sprint team. Plenty of options there, stage wins aplenty if they can get some teamwork going.

Greipel is easily ignored in a team with Cavendish and Ciolek--hey, even Eisel is there--but he made very good riders look pedestrian at the TDU. Good luck to him.
I dont think he will be ignored after TDU, especially by the directeurs.

the guy showed Brown, Renshaw, Haussler, Mcewen, Davis a clean set of cleats.

Really just made them look a little silly in the sprints, it was almost embarrassing.

Yeah, High Road has too many quality sprinters in the team. It's good to see Greipel being confident. He will have a good year if early season form is anything to go by. I was at the TDU and he made everyone look slow and second rate and he had good team backing by the likes of Eisel, Hendersen and Hansen.

Even if Rogers is stung by this whole thing, Kirchen can put in a good show for the TDF depending on his form. He also has the likes of Hincapie to help him too. Not sure on the other GT's. He did alright last year with very little help when he lost Rogers.

Considering Cavendish isn't starting the TDF, Greipel will be there in the team and dare I say it, will win a stage or two. Again Not sure on the plans for the other GT's. I think Cavendish will be at the Giro - I read it somewhere I think so he will be the main focus there.

Whoever is the main sprinter for the GT's, Eisel will be there helping them - especially in the TDF. So there is good support for the sprinters.

I do agree with Greipel on the jersey. It is horrible. The black one is much better.

Grater said:
Yeah, High Road has too many quality sprinters in the team. It's good to see Greipel being confident. He will have a good year if early season form is anything to go by. I was at the TDU and he made everyone look slow and second rate and he had good team backing by the likes of Eisel, Hendersen and Hansen.

Even if Rogers is stung by this whole thing, Kirchen can put in a good show for the TDF depending on his form. He also has the likes of Hincapie to help him too. Not sure on the other GT's. He did alright last year with very little help when he lost Rogers.

Considering Cavendish isn't starting the TDF, Greipel will be there in the team and dare I say it, will win a stage or two. Again Not sure on the plans for the other GT's. I think Cavendish will be at the Giro - I read it somewhere I think so he will be the main focus there.

Whoever is the main sprinter for the GT's, Eisel will be there helping them - especially in the TDF. So there is good support for the sprinters.
Korff left, forgot where, perhaps Jartazi or C Jaques. Siedler at Skil.

They picked up Marcel Seiberg tho.