Bike Riding While Pregnant?

Riding while pregnant is a really risky situation because falls might happen and what can we do in that case? I am a guy, but if I was a pregnant woman I would sacrifice myself for 9 months in order to make that baby be super healthy, that would be my priority.

It's the riding whilst trying to get pregnant that's the risky part. :p

Do whatever keeps you feeling healthy and happy. Maybe resist the urge to zoom down a hill at 50mph in the rain and take a little more caution but if you don't have a history of falling off and munching asphalt I wouldn't start worrying about it now.

Hi Flowergirl. Congrats on the pregnancy!

It can be exhausting, especially when you have a 1 year old too!! I have three kids and struggle to fit my riding in, but I love it!
You asked about others experiences with riding when pregnant, so I thought I would share.

When I was pregnant with my first baby, I couldn't do all the crazy DH riding that I was used to. So I decided to document what 'pregnancy riding' and exercise I was doing while spending my energy growing a little person.
In case there are other pregnant DHillers out there that are interested in how long they can keep up the sport; I stopped any DH and dirt jumps at about 13 weeks. But I continued with XC riding and road riding right up till about 33 weeks (when I needed to conserve all my energy for doing everyday activities!)

I started a special pregnancy and riding blog: www.oxymoron.jaynerutter.com

But for my second and third pregnancies I just put details on my normal website. I would not ride for too long, and would always listen to my body and eat and drink properly. I think its great to get outside and continue to exercise.
Here is my website with my blog posts related to pregnancy:

www.jaynerutter.com/blog/files/tag-riding-while-pregnant.php

Its ok to still ride when pregnant. Stay safe and just don't do anything silly. Have fun!!

Reactions: applique
Wow! The girl is pregnant, not made of glass!! :) The best thing you can do for your baby is stay active while you are pregnant. It makes for an easier delivery too. You will be going through an intense physical ordeal when you birth. For any other big physical event we would be working out like crazy in preparation!

A general rule of thumb when it comes to any exercise during pregnancy is to continue at whatever activity level you were before you became pregnant. If you need to increase your activity level, do it slowly. Listening to you body is the most important thing, in any case!

I just had my last baby at age 48. I worked full time as a waitress and continued to bike until the last few weeks of the pregnancy. I have biked and stayed active throughout all 9 of my pregnancies. They were all full term, uncomplicated births. That is in large part because I stay very physically active during pregnancy. I also eat healthy and listen to my body.

I figure you have had your baby by now, flowergirl. How did it go??

It's good you received some opinions both pro and con regarding riding while pregnant. Any forum is going to give you personal feelings and results that person had. However, the best source of information would be from your physician. I'm sure you know that. This was a good forum thread in many ways, but overall, the results were from personal experience. Everybody and body is different. Also, as your pregnancy progresses, your own body will change in form and ability to do things.

If you are having a pregnancy that is high risk... I'm sure your doctor would let you know and tell you how much to limit your activity. If you are enjoying a normal pregnancy and there are no complications involved, and your body is fit enough to do activities like riding a bicycle, and you are familiar with how to ride -- then go for it. Stay off the busy streets were traffic is a problem. Stay close to home. Take a cell phone with you in case you need help. Drink plenty of water. Enjoy your pregnancy -- it's a wonderful time of life!

I think if you want to ride as fast as you not pregnant,you better not to do that and take exercise indoor.If you just ride a bike as a short distance vehicle,take a carefully.It will be ok.And good luck!!!!!!!!!

Riding while pregnant is a really risky situation because falls might happen and what can we do in that case? I am a guy, but if I was a pregnant woman I would sacrifice myself for 9 months in order to make that baby be super healthy, that would be my priority.

Or she could ride the trainer, and since I hate all trainer riding, that would be a sacrifice.

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and was debating on the same thing, but when I talked to my doctor about it she advised against it. Any activities of that type that put strain on the body aren't good for the baby or the mother during pregnancy.

Yep, so true. I mean, surely it's a sacrifice, but a baby is being created so that has to be the top priority for that period, it's just common sense.

Hi! Congrats on your second pregnancy! Keeping fit and active while pregnant is a great thing. It can make for an easier labour and delivery. You won't gain as much weight and you won't feel sluggish as well.

With regards to what types of exercises are allowed, you would need to take into consideration just how active you were before the pregnancy. If you were already biking then, it's okay to bike still if you can handle it or up until you can handle it. Otherwise, it's best to ask your OB-GYN about this and have her expert opinion.

With regards to other moms riding a bike with their kid in an attachment seat, I've seen it. And the best thing to do is to have two partners, one in your back and one in front of you. This way, one can see the kid that is in your back and the other can monitor the roads.

I hope this helps you and good luck on your pregnancy. Always remember to take care of yourself!

Reactions: oportosanto
That's so true, my wife was totally fit on both her pregnancies and the babies came out just fine. Just some exercises are not worth the risk as far as I see it.

FWIW my wife and I (tandem) road a whole bunch right up to a week or so before both our kids were born. As we were both cyclist she was able to compare her max HR pregnant vs non pregnant. Not surprising - the baby is in charge. She basically lost about 20 beats of HR until after the baby was born.

The risk I see is that of crashing. Of course don't get medical advice from a cycling forum, but turned out to be a great way to go. Later we stuck the kids on trailer bikes and in the trailer and kept riding.

Reactions: briannagodess
I think it all depends on how far you are into your pregnancy. I mean exercise and the happiness you get from it really helps you and also the baby. But far into your pregnancy and especially if you have medical problems maybe you should slow down, or try another alternatives to easy exercise.

@Zoro

That's actually incredible, that she was able to ride until a week before her delivery. The great thing about cyclists is that they have the capacity and the endurance that all other people don't have. With your wife, she was able to handle biking because she has been biking even before she got pregnant. And that's what I've been saying, as long as you have been biking before, then you might continue to do so even while you're pregnant. But it needs to be at a pace that's safe for the baby and the mother.

Anyway, like you said, the risk is in crashing, so it's better to slow down the pace at least while you're pregnant. It can be fun to ride with kids as well but you also have to make sure that they're safe. Only at the time that there's a helmet that can fit them can you ride with them.

Well, you've definitely had your baby by now! Did you ever decide whether you were going to bike or not while pregnant? It seems that many people have been told it's okay or that it's not okay, but either way, I hope that you followed your doctors advice :) Congrats to your family on your recent addition! Take care, hun.

While I realize that the original poster is likely no longer pregnant, I am curious to find out what she eventually decided to do. I think that as long as you are healthy, your unborn child is healthy, and your doctor allows it, riding would be great exercise, as long as it is kept within certain parameters. For example, don't ride beyond your physical limits. If you're tired, stop riding rather than going on further to stretch your endurance. Don't ride up steep hills and stuff like that and try to keep on a flat surface rather than something like gravel or sand that could shift and cause a wipe-out.

I think you would really really need to be careful. While biking is a great form of exercise, you would want to make sure you don't stress out your body too much. They say when you are pregnant you should do everything how you did it normally before. So if you did not bike before, I'm not sure you would want to do it too much while pregnant. Another important factor to include is the risk of an accident. You would not want to risk hurting the baby by falling off or getting hit by a car or something. With all that being said, I think if you are extra careful, it would not hurt. But the best option may be a stationary bike.