Boonen wins Paris-Roubaix

subaru got it exactly he has that attitude and had it before he had even won a race and Diablo, if I am the only one then why have there been comments from others besides me? Strangely I have heard these same comments among my teammates and on another cycling board. Apparently you don't know what every person thinks about Boonen, but thanks for trying.

hombredesubaru said:
I think what rubs people the wrong way about Boonen is not his talent, it's his ridiculous comments like "I knew I had no worries with Flecha and Hincapie. They have never won big races like I have."

It is one thing to think that to focus as you approach the line. It is also true. But to say that to the press when they ask you about the way the race unfolded...geez what a *****.

Not even Lance stuck it in people's faces when he every single year for six years in a row handed everyone their asses in a bag in the mountains and ITTs in the Tour. He demolished everyone but in interviews would say stuff about how talented Ullrich is, how Pantani will be a factor in the Alps etcetc

Boonen is intolerable. Hincapie is a nice guy. I think this will provide plenty of fuel for George to drop Boonen next year and come back stronger.

P.S. He will never win Liege, even Eddy Mercxk said as much...because the climbs are longer and Boonen weighs too much. Look at people who have won Liege, they tend recently to be smaller and climbers: Hamilton, Rebellin etc

I'm guessing this is the quote you are both distorting and pulling out of context?

"I'm always calm," he explained. "But the main thing was: In the finale with Hincapie and Flecha, I knew I was the calmest of us three, because Hincapie hasn't won a big race yet; Flecha won...When you've already won the Tour of Flanders, you just keep your calm, because you're more relaxed at the start already. It makes it a little bit easier. In the finale, I'm concentrated, but I'm not nervous."

Boonen interview

Wow. That sure makes him "intolerable." Boonen was explaining the race from his point of view. How he rode it. What he was thinking about. I care a lot more about that than some mindless jibberish like, "Well Paul, they all came out strong today. I just got thank my family and my coach, and man, tough race."

You guys sound exactly like the Lance haters: Always finding something to pick on and never enjoying the triumph of a champion who isn't on your team.

Rebellin after winning Amstel Gold 2004:

"In the last kilometre I was calm," said Rebellin of his tactics on the Cauberg. "I saw that the finish suited me, I felt in good condition and I wasn't scared of Boogerd."

Geez, Rebellin is intolerable.

hombredesubaru said:
I think what rubs people the wrong way about Boonen is not his talent, it's his ridiculous comments like "I knew I had no worries with Flecha and Hincapie. They have never won big races like I have."

It is one thing to think that to focus as you approach the line. It is also true. But to say that to the press when they ask you about the way the race unfolded...geez what a *****.

Not even Lance stuck it in people's faces when he every single year for six years in a row handed everyone their asses in a bag in the mountains and ITTs in the Tour. He demolished everyone but in interviews would say stuff about how talented Ullrich is, how Pantani will be a factor in the Alps etcetc

Boonen is intolerable. Hincapie is a nice guy. I think this will provide plenty of fuel for George to drop Boonen next year and come back stronger.

P.S. He will never win Liege, even Eddy Mercxk said as much...because the climbs are longer and Boonen weighs too much. Look at people who have won Liege, they tend recently to be smaller and climbers: Hamilton, Rebellin etc

I'm very sure these are not the words of Tom Boonen I have never read this in European press and believe me, I've read them all. Tom is very humble. You, or the press, must have changed his words on purpose.
Dirk Dewolf won LBL, his weight was more than Toms. Don't believe everything Merckx says.
Next year Hincapie will have to compete gainst a Tom Boonen who will be 25 years and also much, much stronger. In the next years he will finish alone, sorry for George.
"I have power, money, I can destroy you", who's words are these?? Said to a certain Italian rider.......remember????

hombredesubaru said:

I think you forgot people like, say, Roger De Vlaeminck...

DiabloScott said:
Other than you, who?

Riders have buyout clauses in their contracts for a reason. This is a business. Boonen made a smart career move, everyone who follows cycling understands that, and I think you're just talking out your ass.

I don't compare Boonen to Landis or Livingston, I compare him to Heras. Roberto wanted something more than Postal was willing to give him, he had another team that was willing to give it to him, so they squared up financially and he split - who wants a rider on your team who really wants to be somewhere else? No whining involved, both sides got what they bargained for.

You only have to rewatch stage 11 of the 2002 Tour to understand why Heras needed to leave Postal. It was his stage and he had to lose because Postal had to win. If you are a rider of the caliber of Heras, Boonen, Armstrong, or ... since people like to complain about him, Kloden ... you deserve a chance to go for victory. Team tactics are essential, sure. But if you are out performing your leader, then you deserve an opportunity to show your stuff.

Would anyone feel better if Boonen had ridden an amazing Paris-Roubaix for Discovery and then, at 100 meters, pulled off to let Hincapie win? It would have felt like a sham. Just like stage 11 of the 2002 Tour. The best man wouldn't have won.

tcklyde said:
Would anyone feel better if Boonen had ridden an amazing Paris-Roubaix for Discovery and then, at 100 meters, pulled off to let Hincapie win? It would have felt like a sham. Just like stage 11 of the 2002 Tour. The best man wouldn't have won.
That's a good point you make there!

Remember P-R 1996? Museeuw, Bortolami and Tafi (all three of them Mapei) reaching the velodrome together and Museeuw had to win (as decided by Squinzi, the CEO of Mapei). Both Bortolami and Tafi were not even allowed to sprint for it.

Isn't cycling much more enjoyable when all the potential winners are in different teams and compete against each other? Although Museeuw was a great champion that wasn't a victory to be proud of.

tcklyde said:
I think you forgot people like, say, Roger De Vlaeminck...

Sean Kelley also won L-B-L. There are longer hills there, but they're not mountain passes.

Boonen in cyclingnews:
"I'm always calm," he explained. "But the main thing was: In the finale with Hincapie and Flecha, I knew I was the calmest of us three, because Hincapie hasn't won a big race yet;

"I knew that over the final stages, with Hincapie and Flecha, it would be the calmest of us three who would win the race.

"Hincapie has never won a big race before, while Flecha has won the Zurich GP but does not really have the experience for such situations. I was calm, and that is without a doubt what made the difference."

in other quotes he said he had to get rid of the fast riders like Michaelson and Backstedt.
In other quotes P Lefevere says: look at the palmares of Hincapie and Flecha they have never won anythin.

It was Eddy Merckx who said Boonen would never win Liege.
I said the recent winners all tended to be small.
I give you the last ten winners of Liege:

2004 Davide Rebellin, ITA

2003 Tyler Hamilton, USA

2002 Paolo Bettini, ITA

2001 Oscar Camenzind, SWI

2000 Paolo Bettini, ITA

1999 Frank Vandenbroucke, BEL

1998 Michele Bartoli, ITA

1997 Michele Bartoli, ITA

1996 Pascal Richard, SWI

1995 Mauro Gianetti, SWI

1994 Evgeni Berzin, RUS

All about half the size of Boonen, no?

Boonen in cyclingnews:
"I'm always calm," he explained. "But the main thing was: In the finale with Hincapie and Flecha, I knew I was the calmest of us three, because Hincapie hasn't won a big race yet;

"I knew that over the final stages, with Hincapie and Flecha, it would be the calmest of us three who would win the race.

"Hincapie has never won a big race before, while Flecha has won the Zurich GP but does not really have the experience for such situations. I was calm, and that is without a doubt what made the difference."

in other quotes he said he had to get rid of the fast riders like Michaelson and Backstedt.
In other quotes P Lefevere says: look at the palmares of Hincapie and Flecha they have never won anything.

2003 Tyler Hamilton, USA

2002 Paolo Bettini, ITA

2000 Paolo Bettini, ITA

1996 Pascal Richard, SWI

1995 Mauro Gianetti, SWI

1994 Evgeni Berzin, RUS

Boonen will win LBL some day. Merckx has said lots of things. Not all of them come true.

hombredesubaru said:
Boonen in cyclingnews:

In other quotes P Lefevere says: look at the palmares of Hincapie and Flecha they have never won anythin.

2003 Tyler Hamilton, USA

2002 Paolo Bettini, ITA

2000 Paolo Bettini, ITA

1996 Pascal Richard, SWI

1995 Mauro Gianetti, SWI

1994 Evgeni Berzin, RUS

Frustration, frustration, frustration, that's all I hear. Boonen is ther to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

House said:
When did I say anyone didn't wish him the best? As a matter of fact I said that I love watching him ride, I just don't agree with how he left USPS.

Who the **** do you think you are trying to tell me how patriotic I am? You blow any argument you have with this piece of ********. Was I bummed George didn't win? Yes. Was I mad, Boonen won? No. It's too bad you are to busy thinking up **** like this instead of reading actual posts.
get some anger management therapy, you clearly demonstrated that you are just a frustrated guy

Get back to me when you learn how to read. This post is without a doubt the most idiotic response I have ever seen on a message board.
get back to me when you stop spreading this bs about Boonen because you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about

BelgianDude said:
get some anger management therapy, you clearly demonstrated that you are just a frustrated guy

get back to me when you stop spreading this bs about Boonen because you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about

Tell you what you get back to me when you have something real to say, not some BS like this and your previous post. Your immaturity political bluster simply reflects poorly on other Belgians. Do them a favor and try thinking before you post. Obviously jusdging by most of your posts this is a new concept to you.

House said:
Tell you what you get back to me when you have something real to say, not some BS like this and your previous post. Your immaturity political bluster simply reflects poorly on other Belgians. Do them a favor and try thinking before you post. Obviously jusdging by most of your posts this is a new concept to you.
I can say the same how your posts reflect on Americans on this forum

anyway, Boonen will prove you wrong, maybe you can start hate threads then together with that guy who starts anti-lance threads all the time. You both would make a nice couple

I have no desire to discuss this any further with you. You can have the last word and I'm sure it's going to be more of the same blabla.

have a nice day

BelgianDude said:
I can say the same how your posts reflect on Americans on this forum

anyway, Boonen will prove you wrong, maybe you can start hate threads then together with that guy who starts anti-lance threads all the time. You both would make a nice couple

I have no desire to discuss this any further with you. You can have the last word and I'm sure it's going to be more of the same blabla.

have a nice day
In other words you have no real response just more of this ****. What a joke you are. I am just wondering how Boonen can "prove me wrong" when I have made no predictions about him or said anything negative about his talents (I suppose since I did say what a great rider he is you could mean he will start doing poorly). Apparently stupidity is your strong suit. Run away and hide after making you anti-American posts and saying absolutely nothing of any real value. I can't believe I wasted more of my time with a wormy little person like you.

I haven't followed Boonen's career very close......... And he seems to be in the news lately....... What kind of sprint does he have????? Can he climb?? Does he have a honest shot at the World's ???? Is his team strong enough to get him top the finish at the Worlds?????

wolfix said:
I haven't followed Boonen's career very close......... And he seems to be in the news lately....... What kind of sprint does he have????? Can he climb?? Does he have a honest shot at the World's ???? Is his team strong enough to get him top the finish at the Worlds?????
a) He is a world class sprinter
b) He's not a climber,he's strong on very short climbs where he can use his brute power but he's not a mountain goat who can climb 20km with the best
c)The worlds are one of his goals but I don't know if he has a chance there because I don't know the course is (lot's of climbing?)
d)the world champ. are done as a country. If the Belgian team rides as a team (not always easy) and the course is suited for Boonen then yes he has a chance, we just have to hope that Freire is not riding that day :D

Freire seems to like the looks of the Rainbow stripes........ I have a soft spot for the northern riders.....I think it goes back to the days of Ti-Raleigh and Knetemann... I have a world's jersey that was Knetemanns..... Hanging right above me ....

hombredesubaru said:

2003 Tyler Hamilton, USA

2002 Paolo Bettini, ITA

2000 Paolo Bettini, ITA

1996 Pascal Richard, SWI

1995 Mauro Gianetti, SWI

1994 Evgeni Berzin, RUS

The glaring similarity is the Italian physicians.

Or rather, their Italian blood doping doctors are of a similar mindset. Every name on this LBL winner list is/was a client of Michele Ferrari, Luigi Cecchini or Enrico Lazzaro (Rebellin).

If Boonen were to work with just one of these gurus---I bet he can win any race on the calendar---including stage races.

Look at what Concini did for Indurain. Based on height/weight/sustainable power-potential Boonen is a perfect candidate!

I ain't hieight/weight, its the total package and the drug/training protocol. If Boonen gets to the final one kilometer cone, he can win any race.