**** Breaking News: Hamilton Tested Positive? ***

Brunswick_kate said:
To the best of my recollection, January 25th.

So, on Jan 25th is when him and his lawyers get to lay out the case?
This is like a soap opera....will he come out a winner? we'll see in the next episodes....best of luck Tyler! :p

Cyclingnews said:
Those eager to know Hamilton's side of the story will certainly have to be patient, as he will not speak about it until his case is heard by the USADA in January, 2005.
I think that I saw January 25, but now I`m not sure..

According to http://www.tylerhamilton.com/ , the hearing will probably take place in early March, and the verdict will be decided by mid March, although there is still a possibility the hearing will take place in February.

It certainly was to the team's advantage for Hamilton and Perez to appeal the doping allegations because if they did not, Phonak may not have recovered it's racing license on appeal.

The hearing began on February 28 at a Denver law firm. A verdict should be returned by March 12.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~76~2734449,00.html

I hate to be a naysayer, but even if exonerated, I don't see him as a big threat to win the Tour. He's had some great single day rides in the past, but he hasn't come nearly as close to winning the Tour as others, most notably Ullrich, who is years younger than Tyler.

gntlmn said:
The hearing began on February 28 at a Denver law firm. A verdict should be returned by March 12.

I hate to be a naysayer, but even if exonerated, I don't see him as a big threat to win the Tour. He's had some great single day rides in the past, but he hasn't come nearly as close to winning the Tour as others, most notably Ullrich, who is years younger than Tyler.

Yeah, I don't think he has been training as hard as the others are....anyway, hope he can come out free of any guilty mess he got himself into......

gntlmn said:

I agree with you 100% gntlmn. Before this whole PED bust and subsequent series of events began there were a few folks on here touting Hamilton as "the next" American threat (once Armstrong retires). I couldn't help but think: What??? He's older than Lance!

It'll be interesting to see how things pan-out with his hearing.

gntlmn said:

Heck, even Ullrich is getting into his 30s. We've kicked around Armstrong's and Ullrich's names for so long now it going to be strange (and nice) to have a new crop of young guys to talk about.

I can see it now: a 500 message thread with the topic: "Is Cunego doping? Yes or no!"

tcklyde said:
Heck, even Ullrich is getting into his 30s. We've kicked around Armstrong's and Ullrich's names for so long now it going to be strange (and nice) to have a new crop of young guys to talk about.

I can see it now: a 500 message thread with the topic: "Is Cunego doping? Yes or no!"

Try it! I think you'd get big discussions out of that one. I was astounded by Santiago Perez and his "heroic" Vuelta last year until he joined the rest of the suspects at Phonak. Cunego? I don't know.

By the way, Santi just drew a 2 year suspension.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...323Z_01_DOB205828_RTRUKOC_0_CYCLING-PEREZ.xml

mareblu said:
Yeah, I don't think he has been training as hard as the others are....anyway, hope he can come out free of any guilty mess he got himself into......

I hope he gets what he deserves. If he is guilty then he should be suspended to the maximum that the rules allow. If that means he doesn't race again then so be it. I don't think anyone, the UCI, fans etc should have any patience for athletes that break the rules and dope. I don't care how likeable of a character he may be. If you cheat then you should pay the price. And this BTW is coming from an ex-Hamilton fan.

tomkay said:
I hope he gets what he deserves. If he is guilty then he should be suspended to the maximum that the rules allow. If that means he doesn't race again then so be it. I don't think anyone, the UCI, fans etc should have any patience for athletes that break the rules and dope. I don't care how likeable of a character he may be. If you cheat then you should pay the price. And this BTW is coming from an ex-Hamilton fan.

same here. I was a Millar and Hamilton fan and have seen both of them being disgraced. Millar's serving out his punishment, and for that I'm not complaining.

Tyler should learn to do the same.

The hearing ended on March 2nd. Curiously instead of handing down a decision and penalty for Hamilton the panel chose to keep the hearing open. A decision was then supposed to be forthcoming within 10 days. That too has now curiously passed with the hearing now open for the past 16 days. I can only think that this means the panel has at least some doubt about whether the tests he failed are actually valid or that he actually failed the tests. Either the science is sound and he failed the tests which should have meant an immediate decision and penalty, or there is at least some doubt raised which needs further investigation or validation.

If he is guilty then so be it and his career is over in shame, but if he is not then how will he ever regain what he has lost.

Santi should get better lawyers. It worked for Tyler.

I suspect that if the truth ever comes out about the Phonak situation, it will be that they weren't blood doping, but they were doing something they shouldn't have been.

gntlmn said:
Try it! I think you'd get big discussions out of that one. I was astounded by Santiago Perez and his "heroic" Vuelta last year until he joined the rest of the suspects at Phonak. Cunego? I don't know.

By the way, Santi just drew a 2 year suspension.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...323Z_01_DOB205828_RTRUKOC_0_CYCLING-PEREZ.xml

oely said:
jeez hes really having a bad year

I respectfully disagree--a bad year is a natural occurance. This is self induced and Hamilton, if this is true, is a fool.

JohnO said:
Santi should get better lawyers. It worked for Tyler.

I suspect that if the truth ever comes out about the Phonak situation, it will be that they weren't blood doping, but they were doing something they shouldn't have been.

Don't just leave us hanging, give us some dirt.

Roadrash Dunc said:
So anyway , when the **** is the result of this case going to be made public :confused:

Your guess as good as the rest of the world's. The bottle neck is that while the hearing is over (ie testimony wrapped up, etc) for over a month now, the USADA has not closed the hearing officially. When they do, they have 10 days to post their verdict. Until they do, Hamilton is in limbo.

My only guess ( and it's TOTAL guess) is that the panel has questions of the test processes and subsequent results and is doing their own independent examination of it. What I'm very sure of is that if this was an open and shut or ohhhhhhhh so very simple test like some have contended it is (it isn't), the verdict would have been rendered by now.

Brunswick_kate said:
Your guess as good as the rest of the world's. The bottle neck is that while the hearing is over (ie testimony wrapped up, etc) for over a month now, the USADA has not closed the hearing officially. When they do, they have 10 days to post their verdict. Until they do, Hamilton is in limbo.

My only guess ( and it's TOTAL guess) is that the panel has questions of the test processes and subsequent results and is doing their own independent examination of it. What I'm very sure of is that if this was an open and shut or ohhhhhhhh so very simple test like some have contended it is (it isn't), the verdict would have been rendered by now.

Hopefully whatever the final outcome is the officials will get it right and there won't be any lingering doubts one way or the other. It is curious though that it is taking such a long time, and I too agree that there must be something that has raised doubt enough to keep the hearing open. A month seems like a long time when your talking about what should be concrete scientific results.