Burning body fat

And here is anthropological records showing the preferred diet when presented with a variety of food offerings...

"I guess we all have our delusions."

Not really. You're an asshole. No delusion there.

Originally Posted by robbyh .

Is it better to go on a long fairly moderate intensity ride or shorter bursts of much higher intensity?
I'm not a coach but everything I've read suggest intervals burn more fat, for example.

"Whether you're talking about weight loss or enhanced performance, time at intensity is the factor that matters most. Riding at at tough but sustainable pace is a good way to burn about 12 calories per minute. Intervals...push your burn rate to about 16 calories per minute. But because you can't sustain 16 calories per minute for very long, time spent at this intensity has to be spread over several intervals separated by recovery, during which you're burning eight to 10 calories per minute. In total, the interval session last 42 minutes, but even with the recovery periods, the calories burned are almost identical to the calories burned during 42 minutes at a steady pace.

Why put yourself through intervals if they don't burn a ton more calories? Because time at intensity not only burns calories but also stimulates change. That steady pace for 42 minutes isn't enough stress to make you faster or pack your muscles with more fat burning mitochondria. But those 20 minutes at maximum intensity are. Riding a steady pace burns calories today; intervals burn calories today and enable you to burn more later."
Bicycling Magazine, January 2008, "Bust A Gut: Yours"

If you don't want to do intervals but have a stationary trainer, and the discipline, do the following. Wake up early, don't eat, or drink anything. Jump on the bike, get your heart rate up over 120bpm, and maintain that pace for one hour, three times a week. When you've completed the session, drink and eat if you like but not during. You'll drop about a pound and a half per week. If you eat sensably

The idea is that your body has shutdown and your metabolism is as low is it'll be. As soon as you drink or eat, you turn it on and now you've created competition to burn calories and fat. If you're not competing with a fully charged metabolism, you'll burning more calories, fat, and continue to do so after the workout.

I would guess that if you were a runner and have pickup cycling to replace running due to physical limitation. Burgers and fries are probably not the issue in your life. If your dietary habits are your impediment, I'm sure there are other forums for that.

Good luck and ride safe

Originally Posted by robbyh .

I am using cycling as a way of trying to shed some excess around my gut! Used to run but my knees are pretty shot after working on them for years without wearing pads ( stupid I know ) !! My question is this.... Is it better to go on a long fairly moderate intensity ride or shorter bursts of much higher intensity?? Any input would be most welcome
For what it's worth, this is what is working for me:
3 months ago my weight was 178.8 lbs, today is 166.2 (i'm trying to get to 160) I'm 5-9 3/4" and light frame.
Riding a combination of short intense rides (1 hr max; say 17 miles); not all- out, just a good hard effort. 3 times per week during the week.
Riding a long, not too hard twice per week (3 to 4 hrs on weekends; 35-50 miles; typ)
1 short run ( couple of miles) , stretching and weight training (just light weights; nothing extreme) one day per week
Cut back on the carbs by about 50% ( I use a log for food- Iphone app); cut drastically on breads, muffins, rolls, cookies, ice cream
Cut some on the fat (I reduced cheese and butter intake mainly)
When I go out to eat; I only eat half the serving and bring the rest home for a next day meal.
Added abundant fruit (apples, bananas, grapes) as a desert or when I get hungry.
I cheat every couple of weeks; just to give my body a shock ; )
I Try to join an organized long ride event (60 miles) so I have a goal (this month I'm doing two organized events, a 45 mile and a 65 mile)

So far, this is working for me...

This is something we all probably know or suspected but now it's supported my more scientific evidence. May just ONE hot dog this July 4th!

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2013/06/red-meat-associated-increased-risk-type-2-diabetes?et_cid=3319681&et_rid=54635655&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.laboratoryequipment.com%2fnews%2f2013%2f06%2fred-meat-associated-increased-risk-type-2-diabetes

....waiting for alienator to tell me I'm full of s--t on this one too. Wish he would try riding a bike with a saddle of some sort for a change.

jaygeephoto said:
This is something we all probably know or suspected but now it's supported my more scientific evidence.  May just ONE hot dog this July 4th! http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2013/06/red-meat-associated-increased-risk-type-2-diabetes?et_cid=3319681&et_rid=54635655&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.laboratoryequipment.com%2fnews%2f2013%2f06%2fred-meat-associated-increased-risk-type-2-diabetes ....waiting for alienator to tell me I'm full of s--t on this one too.  Wish he would try riding a bike with a saddle of some sort for a change.
The report addresses what was a suspicion before, Jane. You took the time, apparently, to read a story about research done. So, that shows you're at least learning. If you don't want to be called on what you say, don't make baseless claims.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The report addresses what was a suspicion before, Jane. You took the time, apparently, to read a story about research done. So, that shows you're at least learning. If you don't want to be called on what you say, don't make baseless claims.
well, the study does warn or clarify that is NOT the red meat per se BUT the fat content, so they suggest low fat cuts. Now if we eat meat everyday; high fat cuts; 3 times a day, we have a problem. So moderation is the key. I don't know what dining schedule cavemen followed but I'm sure they did not eat meat every day... I'll have to research that /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

rparedes said:
well, the study does warn or clarify that is NOT the red meat per se BUT the fat content, so they suggest low fat cuts. Now if we eat meat everyday; high fat cuts; 3 times a day, we have a problem. So moderation is the key. I don't know what dining schedule cavemen followed but I'm sure they did not eat meat every day... I'll have to research that :D
True, but there still remains the LDL cholesterol load from animal products, meat in this case. While LDL levels don't necessarily correlate with increased incidence of diabetics, such levels do correlate with a higher risk of heart disease, heart attack, and instant death, things for which there is already an increased risk for diabetics, doubly so since diabetics have a much higher incidence of "silent" heart attacks, aka asymptomatic MI's, than many other groups.

Jayne:
xmasjaynehat.jpg

Jayne Hat. I see. Well, one would have to be more self confident and better looking than I am to wear such a hat. And the hat does sort of look like a d* head. Hmmm. Guess I asked for it.

I recommend short distance cycling (about 1 Kilometer) for five times a day. This way you can lose your buttock's fat withing one week.
How I know - because I have been cycling for months and I have lost 10 KG of body weight uptil now. Cycling is really an amazing way to lose weight.

______________________________________________________________________________________
The world's most expensive coffee, check the price -> Kopi Luwak

I was an avid runner but also had cut back due to wear and tear (44 years old and four knee surgeries). Was prevented from really putting in any long runs and gained some weight (hard to give up that "endurance athlete eat pretty much what you want lifestyle"). Found that was couldn't seem to lose weight despite LSD and HIIT rides. After a few weeks my body seemed to get the message and the pounds started dropping fast. Keep it up, Makes the hill routines a hell of a lot easier.

Originally Posted by jrdavislaw .

I was an avid runner but also had cut back due to wear and tear (44 years old and four knee surgeries). Was prevented from really putting in any long runs and gained some weight (hard to give up that "endurance athlete eat pretty much what you want lifestyle"). Found that was couldn't seem to lose weight despite LSD and HIIT rides. After a few weeks my body seemed to get the message and the pounds started dropping fast. Keep it up, Makes the hill routines a hell of a lot easier.
It takes years to go on, often months or years to lose depending on how fat people let themselves get. I've seen super lean climbers blow out wen they hangup the bike. One dude went from 65KG to 120+ in a few years, to much booze, fat and junk food. Its going to take a good 12 months or more to lose all that fat.

IMO the longer your ride and the longer you keep your heart rate in its cardio zone the faster your HR will improve. Burning fat isn't just about doing aerobic exercise though. If you have a smartphone download the myfitnesspal app. It will help you keep track of all the calories you eat and your future weight if you continue that diet. If you truly want to burn through fat take the athlete mindset. Give up sugary drinks, condiments, sauces, and beer. You can replace the beer for liquor (without sugary mixers) or wine to keep your calorie intake down. I have actually been doing the opposite as what you are trying to do. I've been trying to put weight on like crazy and bulk up. The requirements for doing that is very similar to burning fat and they both take a ton of work.
Best of luck!

Originally Posted by trevor022 .

You can replace the beer for liquor...
Good tip. The only problem I foresee is potentially waking up in some south east Asian city with a new wife and tattoo.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Good tip. The only problem I foresee is potentially waking up in some south east Asian city with a new wife and tattoo.
LOL!
and thats bad?