Cadel Evans Australian?

Andy

Guest
The bloke speak wit a French accent.

sacre bleau!

Get over it you fair weather ozzies: He is not an Australian.

On Jul 29, 3:21 pm, Dorfus Dippintush
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Having one wrong person on the newsgroup is an accident, having two is a
> tragedy.
>
> He was born in Katherine in the Northern Territory. You can't get much
> more Aussie than that. Red Australian dust is in his blood.

Jeez, yet another blood-doping accusation.

Ben

Bighus Dikkus wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers wrote

>> You are a citizen of the country whose passport you hold, but you
>> will always have some affection and ties to the country of your
>> birth. And there's nothing wrong with that.

> Well agreed, unless the country of your birth is France.

Ahh, the French contention that if your grandpere was French then you are
considered to be French and subject to their laws. Several countries hold
these views, as a few young Australians born of Greek parents have
discovered to their dismay. Go to visit the old country and get drafted into
the army......

Although I confess the immigration official (this was pre England in the
Euro Union) at Shiphol had a visible change of attitude when, having arrived
from Heathrow with a plane full of Poms, he noticed that I was born in
Eindhoven. He wasn't smiling before that.

Things were simpler then. After immigration I collected my bag and then
there was a choice of two doors, one said "Something to declare" the other
"Nothing to declare". I took the second door, and found myself outside the
terminal.

Theo

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:21:15 +0800, Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

> (I don't normally reply to trolls but because Cadel is such a wonderful
> hero I'll make an exception today.)

Hmm. He's a great cyclist, obviously, but I reserve that sort of praise for
someone who doesn't whine about his team while they're busting their nuts
for him in the mountains. Let's face it - we wouldn't be going apeshit
about him if he were from anywhere else.

On Jul 30, 1:25 pm, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:21:15 +0800, Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
> > (I don't normally reply to trolls but because Cadel is such a wonderful
> > hero I'll make an exception today.)

> Hmm. He's a great cyclist, obviously, but I reserve that sort of praise for
> someone who doesn't whine about his team while they're busting their nuts
> for him in the mountains. Let's face it - we wouldn't be going apeshit
> about him if he were from anywhere else.

What is this connection to another country?

"tallsam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 30, 1:25 pm, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:21:15 +0800, Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
>> > (I don't normally reply to trolls but because Cadel is such a wonderful
>> > hero I'll make an exception today.)

>> Hmm. He's a great cyclist, obviously, but I reserve that sort of praise
>> for
>> someone who doesn't whine about his team while they're busting their nuts
>> for him in the mountains. Let's face it - we wouldn't be going apeshit
>> about him if he were from anywhere else.

> What is this connection to another country?

They're just jealous that once again a Victorian shows up the other states
and territories. NT born, Victorian bred. Good onya Cadel.

'Onya

On Jul 30, 2:49 pm, "Big LN" <[email protected]> wrote:

> They're just jealous that once again a Victorian shows up the other states
> and territories. NT born, Victorian bred. Good onya Cadel.
>
> 'Onya

Actually he lived in NSW for a while. Attended school for about 5
years in a regional town, left in Yr 7 IIRC (so naturally the local
rag has claimed him as a local lad made good)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 30, 2:49 pm, "Big LN" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> They're just jealous that once again a Victorian shows up the other
>> states
>> and territories. NT born, Victorian bred. Good onya Cadel.
>>
>> 'Onya

> Actually he lived in NSW for a while. Attended school for about 5
> years in a regional town, left in Yr 7 IIRC (so naturally the local
> rag has claimed him as a local lad made good)

It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
he is today. He was a local mountain-bike legend before he got onto the
racers. Katherine, NT and regional NSW can put in their claims but they
amount to zero in regards to where he developed his profession.

'Onya

Big LN wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Jul 30, 2:49 pm, "Big LN" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> They're just jealous that once again a Victorian shows up the other
>>> states
>>> and territories. NT born, Victorian bred. Good onya Cadel.
>>>
>>> 'Onya

>> Actually he lived in NSW for a while. Attended school for about 5
>> years in a regional town, left in Yr 7 IIRC (so naturally the local
>> rag has claimed him as a local lad made good)

> It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
> he is today. He was a local mountain-bike legend before he got onto the
> racers. Katherine, NT and regional NSW can put in their claims but they
> amount to zero in regards to where he developed his profession.
>
> 'Onya

Yikes! This thread brought out all the Cadel stockers.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:58:20 +1000, Big LN wrote:

> It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
> he is today.

Was that where he had the nasty accident which wrecked his testicles? :)

On Jul 30, 3:58 pm, "Big LN" <[email protected]> wrote:
> It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
> he is today. He was a local mountain-bike legend before he got onto the
> racers. Katherine, NT and regional NSW can put in their claims but they
> amount to zero in regards to where he developed his profession.
>
> 'Onya

That's nice. What do you want me to say? Victoria pwned NSW! Hooray
for Victoria! Etc...

If he'd had some West Aussie spirit things may have been different.

No one likes the touch of a Bill Lawry.

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Ahh, the French contention that if your grandpere was French then you
> are considered to be French and subject to their laws. Several
> countries hold these views, as a few young Australians born of Greek
> parents have discovered to their dismay. Go to visit the old country
> and get drafted into the army......

And the Netherlands too Theo - unless it's changed in recent years.

In the early 70s I worked with another young bloke who had been born in
1956 of Dutch parents on the boat on the way to Australia.

He took a month off to go to Holland and visit some relatives whilst
they were still alive. He got arrested as he walked off the plane and
got to do military service - which presented some problems for him as
he was not exactly conversational in Dutch.

Funny thing I ran into him in Brisbane only recently and we had a
coffee and chatted about the old days in NCR and the topic came up of
his one month visit that turned into 18mths. To this day he is not
complimentary.
--

Big LN said:
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 30, 2:49 pm, "Big LN" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> They're just jealous that once again a Victorian shows up the other
>> states
>> and territories. NT born, Victorian bred. Good onya Cadel.
>>
>> 'Onya

> Actually he lived in NSW for a while. Attended school for about 5
> years in a regional town, left in Yr 7 IIRC (so naturally the local
> rag has claimed him as a local lad made good)

It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
he is today. He was a local mountain-bike legend before he got onto the
racers. Katherine, NT and regional NSW can put in their claims but they
amount to zero in regards to where he developed his profession.

'Onya
I agree, perhaps the fact that he 'only' got 2nd is due to the trauma of living in Victoria. Image how well he would have done if he lived in a proper state :)

SCotty

Kyle Legate wrote:

> Big LN wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Actually he lived in NSW for a while. Attended school for about 5
> >> years in a regional town, left in Yr 7 IIRC (so naturally the local
> >> rag has claimed him as a local lad made good)

> > It was the hills around Arthurs Creek in Victoria that made him the champion
> > he is today. He was a local mountain-bike legend before he got onto the
> > racers. Katherine, NT and regional NSW can put in their claims but they
> > amount to zero in regards to where he developed his profession.
> >
> > 'Onya
> >

> Yikes! This thread brought out all the Cadel stockers.

I could never be proud of being a Nationalist, or of nationalism,
or of sportsmen who win ungratiously, and lose with tantrums,
but I can be proud of what Cadel has achieved as an Australian,
and he shows some intelligence when he's interviewed.

All too often we see larrikins performing well in some sport or other,
like Shane Warne in cricket.
But only a few sportsmen pass the test of being a gentleman.

Patrick Turner.

PS, not many decent hills in Catherine.

Canberra has some real corkers, and not far away are the Snowies,
and some long steep climbs.

Andy wrote:
> The bloke speak wit a French accent.
>
> sacre bleau!
>
> Get over it you fair weather ozzies: He is not an Australian.

But he will be the TDF winner within the next few days.

On 2007-07-30, Patrick Turner (aka Bruce)
> Kyle Legate wrote:
>> Yikes! This thread brought out all the Cadel stockers.

> I could never be proud of being a Nationalist, or of nationalism,
> or of sportsmen who win ungratiously, and lose with tantrums,
> but I can be proud of what Cadel has achieved as an Australian,
> and he shows some intelligence when he's interviewed.

Although I hope the ones that make him sound like a whinging prat are
just poorly selected soundbites.

--
TimC
An Emacs reference mug is what I want. It would hold ten gallons of coffee.

Harold Hughes - Activity Director (The Buttery) said:
Andy wrote:
> The bloke speak wit a French accent.
>
> sacre bleau!
>
> Get over it you fair weather ozzies: He is not an Australian.

But he will be the TDF winner within the next few days.
I think you're right. The tour is going to look like it did this year for a few years to come I think. Same riders next year as this year with the exception of Raz if he's picked up by another team.

I thought Cadel was from Bakersfield? :D

.

Blue Heeler wrote:

> And the Netherlands too Theo - unless it's changed in recent years.
>
> In the early 70s I worked with another young bloke who had been born
> in 1956 of Dutch parents on the boat on the way to Australia.
>
> He took a month off to go to Holland and visit some relatives whilst
> they were still alive. He got arrested as he walked off the plane and
> got to do military service - which presented some problems for him as
> he was not exactly conversational in Dutch.

Interesting. I first went back to Holland in 1967 when I was 24. No one
arrested me.

> Funny thing I ran into him in Brisbane only recently and we had a
> coffee and chatted about the old days in NCR and the topic came up of
> his one month visit that turned into 18mths. To this day he is not
> complimentary.

I can understand that. How did he feel about NCR. I worked for NCR from 1961
to 1994.

Theo