Cadel Evans

dewatf

Guest
Evans's legs seem to be in very good shape. In the past we have seen him
attempt to gain time with moves and then end up getting dropped and losing
time at the finish of some of the key stages. This time he was strong at
the finish and moved up into 4th, but he did it the hard way.

Though I wasn't sure what Evan's was trying to do sprinting after Contador,
not really his game to try and out sprint a climber. And as Contador is an
outside contender for the GC even if he got a minute or so over the top and
linked up with Popovych the pack would be forced to chase them down when
conditions favoured them on the way into Briacon, as happened.

The move left Evans in no-mans-land and realising that there were better
places to time trial he had to sit up and go back. After that he got
dropped from the leading chasers and had to work and had to struggle back
to catch up once they slowed before the final climb. Then Evans worked hard
up the final hill only to see Valverde ride past and take a time bonus to
move into second.

As time trialling and the steeper climbs of Pyrenees are Evans's strengths
the tactical battle was won by Valverde. Still Evans has shown he is in
great form and a good chance.

dewatf.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:13:53 GMT, dewatf wrote:

> Evans's legs seem to be in very good shape. In the past we have seen him
> attempt to gain time with moves and then end up getting dropped and losing
> time at the finish of some of the key stages. This time he was strong at
> the finish and moved up into 4th, but he did it the hard way.
>
> Though I wasn't sure what Evan's was trying to do sprinting after Contador,
> not really his game to try and out sprint a climber.

Huh? He wasn't trying to out-sprint Contador, but hook up with him and drop
his group. He wasn't strong enough on the steepest part of the climb, but
good on him for trying. Maybe you didn't notice, but Contador wanted his
help, and waited until it was clear that Evans was too tired before
taking off again.

Michael Warner said:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:13:53 GMT, dewatf wrote:

> Evans's legs seem to be in very good shape. In the past we have seen him
> attempt to gain time with moves and then end up getting dropped and losing
> time at the finish of some of the key stages. This time he was strong at
> the finish and moved up into 4th, but he did it the hard way.
>
> Though I wasn't sure what Evan's was trying to do sprinting after Contador,
> not really his game to try and out sprint a climber.

Huh? He wasn't trying to out-sprint Contador, but hook up with him and drop
his group. He wasn't strong enough on the steepest part of the climb, but
good on him for trying. Maybe you didn't notice, but Contador wanted his
help, and waited until it was clear that Evans was too tired before
taking off again.

I think Cadel's effort to bridge the gap to Contador was pretty impressive but I think he did it too fast, red-lined it and never recovered - hence his inability to work with him when Contador started forcing the issue.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:40:10 +1000, jazmo wrote:

>> Huh? He wasn't trying to out-sprint Contador, but hook up with him and
>> drop
>> his group. He wasn't strong enough on the steepest part of the climb,
>> but
>> good on him for trying. Maybe you didn't notice, but Contador wanted
>> his
>> help, and waited until it was clear that Evans was too tired before
>> taking off again.

> I think Cadel's effort to bridge the gap to Contador was pretty
> impressive but I think he did it too fast, red-lined it and never
> recovered - hence his inability to work with him when Contador started
> forcing the issue.

Yep. That's what it looked like.

At the end of the day Evans's effort, however impressive, expended a lot of
energy, went nowhere, got him dropped later and left him scrambling back.
Valverde's tactics were the winning ones.

I just think that Evans need to get such things right more than he has done
in the past to win. And after the excellent time trial last night Evans is
a chance. Though with Contador being able to time-trial well as well a
climb, Rassumen able to limit his losses to under 2 minutes, Vinokouov
winning despite being out when the course was wetter and what ever else
pops up it looks like being an excellent race. I am looking forward to
tonight.

dewatf.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:12:34 GMT, dewatf wrote:

Well that is what I was talking about.

Leipheimer gained 1'14'' and Sastre 1' on Evans; Evans wrecked himself and
lost more time to Rassmussen and Costador and finished with Kloden who was
dropped halfway up the climb.

dewatf.

dewatf wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:12:34 GMT, dewatf wrote:
>
> Well that is what I was talking about.
>
> Leipheimer gained 1'14'' and Sastre 1' on Evans; Evans wrecked himself and
> lost more time to Rassmussen and Costador and finished with Kloden who was
> dropped halfway up the climb.
>
> dewatf.

Tomorrow's another big day. We'll soon find out who's suffering.

Dorfus

Actually I don't think he is done at all, I think he knows where he is going to win the race, if he is going to win it, I think he is just trying to minimize the amount of times in loses on these tough stages and not destroying himself for the Time Trial and race to Paris

But we will soon find out..... especially how much it took out of chicken man doing all that work today in the final stages...

Cadel's cough is sounds great at the end of every stage also .. tho no-one else seems to have mentioned it ..

Ash

a5hi5m wrote:
> Cadel's cough is sounds great at the end of every stage also .. tho
> no-one else seems to have mentioned it ..
>
> Ash

We call it a Time Trialers cough, but you can get it from a hard ride.

Dorfus

MikeyOz said:
Actually I don't think he is done at all, I think he knows where he is going to win the race, if he is going to win it, I think he is just trying to minimize the amount of times in loses on these tough stages and not destroying himself for the Time Trial and race to Paris

But we will soon find out..... especially how much it took out of chicken man doing all that work today in the final stages...

Cadel is done. If you watched the stage you would have seen he would have followed if he could have. He was pedalling like a busted man. Tonight is another tough one. Unless Chicken man has a bad day I can see him put more time into Evans again tonight - and then it will be too much to make up in the final time trial. Evan's quote was that this was the first stage that didn't go according to plan.

On 2007-07-23, a5hi5m (aka Bruce)

> Cadel's cough is sounds great at the end of every stage also .. tho
> no-one else seems to have mentioned it ..

Yeahbut chicken's cough wasn't too great either. Too much exertion.
And the droogs probably don't help :)

--
TimC
I don't know, but every time I look at a modern Intel schematic I think of a

On Jul 23, 9:22 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2u5...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Actually I don't think he is done at all, I think he knows where he is
> going to win the race, if he is going to win it, I think he is just
> trying to minimize the amount of times in loses on these tough stages
> and not destroying himself for the Time Trial and race to Paris
>
> But we will soon find out..... especially how much it took out of
> chicken man doing all that work today in the final stages...

Cadel's only chance now is if Rasmussen has a bad day and so does
Contador. The gap is too big now given Rasmussen's newly found ITT
ability. Otherwise, Cadel's racing for 3rd place. It's still
amazingly good to do that well, to put it in perspective.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:36:14 -0700, Bleve wrote:

> On Jul 23, 9:22 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2u5...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Actually I don't think he is done at all, I think he knows where he is
>> going to win the race, if he is going to win it, I think he is just
>> trying to minimize the amount of times in loses on these tough stages
>> and not destroying himself for the Time Trial and race to Paris

Yes he could have a few beers and come back and blitz the whole field the
next day, oh wait you can't get away with taking drugs anymore

>> But we will soon find out..... especially how much it took out of
>> chicken man doing all that work today in the final stages...

> Cadel's only chance now is if Rasmussen has a bad day and so does
> Contador. The gap is too big now given Rasmussen's newly found ITT
> ability. Otherwise, Cadel's racing for 3rd place. It's still
> amazingly good to do that well, to put it in perspective.

If Rassmussen and Contador don't have a bad day then he had no chance. Now
he may not be in shape to take advantage of it if they do have such a day.
Rassmussen has to defend the yellow and keep an eye on the polka dots.
Contador may have gone all out to win the Plateau de Beille and might fade.

I just think Evans would have done better to avoid all the accelerations of
the climbers on the first mountain top finish in the Pyrenees and try to
keep a steady pace with Leipheimer and Sastra. Today, Wednesday and the TT
would be better stages to go all out and have a crack if needed.

That would have put Evens in with an excellent chance of 3rd and ability to
do better is the opportunity arises. He may struggle to make the podium
now, which would have been terrific.

dewatf.

Cadel just needs to speak to Landis and ask him about what he had for dinner before stage 17 last year. C'arn Cadel!!!

hippy

hippy said:
Cadel just needs to speak to Landis and ask him about what he had for dinner before stage 17 last year. C'arn Cadel!!!

hippy

Or Vino after his big bounce back.

mitosis wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>> Cadel just needs to speak to Landis and ask him about what he had for
>> dinner before stage 17 last year. C'arn Cadel!!!
>>
>> hippy

> Or Vino after his big bounce back.

Bounce out more like it!

Dorfus

On Jul 25, 9:28 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2u9...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Dorfus Dippintush Wrote:
>

> > Bounce out more like it!
> > Dorfus

> I wonder if Cadel has an effort like that in him ??
>
> --
> MikeyOz

It'll be particularly interesting and unfortunate if he turns out to
be the only clean rider in the top 3. Rasmussen missing tests and not
informing his national body as to where he was (every pro knows they
need to do this), and Contador showing some amazing form for such a
young rider. Cadel's the only one in the top 3 who hasn't been riding
way above what anyone would expect from past form.

Bleve said:
On Jul 25, 9:28 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2u9...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Dorfus Dippintush Wrote:
>

> > Bounce out more like it!
> > Dorfus

> I wonder if Cadel has an effort like that in him ??
>
> --
> MikeyOz

It'll be particularly interesting and unfortunate if he turns out to
be the only clean rider in the top 3. Rasmussen missing tests and not
informing his national body as to where he was (every pro knows they
need to do this), and Contador showing some amazing form for such a
young rider. Cadel's the only one in the top 3 who hasn't been riding
way above what anyone would expect from past form.
surely a reputable and scupulus manager such as manolo saiz wouldn't let contador become involved at such things when he was at liberty!

Ash