Campy Left Thumb Shifter Won't Pop Back Up

Kenny

Guest
I know that when Campy shifters lose their click it's time to replace
the G-springs but now my left thumb shifter won't pop back to it's home
position. When pressed down it stays down. What part do I need to
replace to get it working again? They're Record 2001 10 speed shifters.

Kenny

Kenny wrote:
> I know that when Campy shifters lose their click it's time to replace
> the G-springs but now my left thumb shifter won't pop back to it's home
> position. When pressed down it stays down. What part do I need to
> replace to get it working again? They're Record 2001 10 speed shifters.
>
> Kenny

May need a new thumb button return spring or it may simply be fouled by
the hoods. OR may need a take apart, clean, lube and put back together.
If ya like, send it to me for a 1 day turnaroud...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > I know that when Campy shifters lose their click it's time to replace
> > the G-springs but now my left thumb shifter won't pop back to it's home
> > position. When pressed down it stays down. What part do I need to
> > replace to get it working again? They're Record 2001 10 speed shifters.
> >
> > Kenny

> May need a new thumb button return spring or it may simply be fouled by
> the hoods. OR may need a take apart, clean, lube and put back together.
> If ya like, send it to me for a 1 day turnaroud...

Thanks Peter. I just took the black plastic cap off the back of the
shifter and removed the retainer plate. It looks grungy with what looks
like brownish corrosion. I hope all it needs is a good cleaning.

Kenny wrote:

> Thanks Peter. I just took the black plastic cap off the back of the
> shifter and removed the retainer plate. It looks grungy with what looks
> like brownish corrosion. I hope all it needs is a good cleaning.

Hi Kenny,

Can you let me know if this worked for you? I think I have a similar,
if not the same issue with a Veloce shifter. The thumb button is
hanging, so sometimes I can't shift into a bigger ring unless I lift
the thumb shifter up. That seems to clear the ratched mechanism.
Also, how do you get the hood off without removing the brake/shifter
unit? I'd like to have a closer look, but I don't want to damage the
rubber hood.

Thx!
==k

benttangent wrote:

> Also, how do you get the hood off without removing the brake/shifter
> unit? I'd like to have a closer look, but I don't want to damage the
> rubber hood.

The cover plate over the mechanism is on the side of the lever body
that's clamped against the handlebar. The lever must be removed from
the bar to access the guts.