Campy shifter springs

Captain Dondo

Guest
My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like **** at the end of last year.

I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear when
you shift.

My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and need
to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't trust
him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).

Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy durability,
it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

Just curious,

-Dondo

It's true! The springs get weak and sometimes break. The replacement is fairly simple with
instructions on the web. Parts are available from most shops who should be able to do the job for
you. Charlie

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:18:46 -0500, Captain Dondo wrote:

> My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like **** at the end of last year.
>
> I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
> when you shift.
>
> My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
> need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
> trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
>
> Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust?

Absolutely real. And inexpensive (a first for Campy). Replacing them will fix your
shifting problems.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:59:00 -0500, CBike wrote:

> It's true! The springs get weak and sometimes break. The replacement is fairly simple with
> instructions on the web.

Well, it's not that they get weak. they engage the ratchet on the shoulder of the g-shaped spring,
and that contact area wears down.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
--Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

Check out http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html#Manuals

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like **** at the end of last year.
>
> I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
> when you shift.
>
> My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
> need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
> trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
>
> Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy
> durability, it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.
>
> Just curious,
>
> -Dondo

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like **** at the end of last year.
>
> I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
> when you shift.
>
> My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
> need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
> trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
>
> Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy
> durability, it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

It is a simple and inexpensive process to rebuild an Ergo lever back to "like new". Usually all
that's required is a set of springs.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

captain-<< My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like **** at the end of last year.

<< I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
when you shift.

<< My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
need to be replaced.

Believe him, easy to do, not expensive-

<< Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

Nope-easy to do on any Campagnolo lever starting with the very first in late 1991....