carbon brake shoes

mogse

Jul 11, 2007
hi
I've been running carbon wheels for a few weeks with dura ace carbon brake shoes. they should be bedded in by now but they are still very poor at braking.
is there any way to improve them so i can stop quicker?
could i get away wth standard rubber ones used for alloy wheels or will this brake the carbon wheel?

thanks

You'd get a lot better braking if you threw out the Dura Ace pads and used either Swissstop Yellow pads or Kool Stop Salmon pads.

alienator said:
You'd get a lot better braking if you threw out the Dura Ace pads and used either Swissstop Yellow pads or Kool Stop Salmon pads.
+1 on the Swissstop Yellow pads. i have been using them for over a year and they have been the best i have tried on carbon rims.

FWIW, I'm using green Swissstops on the LEW VT-1 wheels, right now, and braking in the dry is damned impressive. It seems noticeably better than the greens on alloy rims or the yellows on my old Stratus DVs. I can't quantify the difference, and that qualification is based on my dismemberance of things.

We're supposed to have rain on Saturday, so I'll have the bike out in the rain to see how the greens work on wet LEW wheels.

FWIW #2, for about a week I used Swissstop greens on a set of borrowed Bontrager Race *** Lite CF rims, and the braking there was more than acceptable. It wasn't as strong as with the LEW wheels or with alloy wheels, but it wasn't bad, either.