Carrying a laptop

fred

Guest
I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.

I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
on my back?

I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.

Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

Postings from trolls assigned to /dev/null.

TIA.

On 18 Mar, 21:55, fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

I commute 9 miles each way to work on a mostly off road route made up
of dirt track and a bit of cycle tarmac. I have in the past just put
my laptop loose inside my rucksack along with other gear (lunch/
clothes etc). If I come off my bike whether it's on my bike or on my
back it's likely to get damaged either way.

"fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

I don't 'commute' with it but I also tend to just stick it in my rucksack
with everything else. I've seen some purpose made laptop rucksacks with
loads of padding but they were quite expensive (~£50) and probably wouldn't
protect it that well if your full weight landed on top of it.
In panniers if you clip hit them on something (e.g. bollard) it wouldn't
matter too much if it was just your lunch in there but that could damage the
laptop. Whichever bag I've used, it's had a few knocks but never been
damaged as a result.
I used to carry it in a satchel type bag which was ok for taking on the
train but it was really awkward for cycling with and you couldn't get much
else in there.

Are you particularly likely to fly over the handlebars for any reason?
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.
>
> Postings from trolls assigned to /dev/null.
>
> TIA.

tend to use crumpler type bags, in a panier. they seem to work so far.
if your that worried get one of the metal camera cases to fit, and some
big paniers for the case... they are essently a metal suit case with
foam inset. tought but heavy and bulky, as ever its a compromise.

roger

> fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> > will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> > on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.

> > I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> > on my back?

I commute occassionally by road bike about 30km each way. I wear a
small rucksack with my bits and bobs in it and sometimes a laptop too.
Just stick it in the rucksack it will be fine.

--
Nige Danton

fred wrote on 18/03/2007 21:55 +0100:
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.
>
> Postings from trolls assigned to /dev/null.
>
> TIA.

Mine spends most of its time in the front pannier on my Brompton. Bung
it in a pannier or rucksac as you wish and it'll be fine. If you are
worried about damage in accidents, wrap some bubblewrap (or any clothes
you carry) round it but they are not necessary for the everyday shake
rattle and roll.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.
>
> Postings from trolls assigned to /dev/null.
>
> TIA.

Coincidentally I am about to do this tomorrow when I cycle to work and then
cycle with a laptop 6 miles to the station, train into London then cycle
another 3 miles to UCL. I was planning to put it in one of my panniers which
happens to be just big enough for it to fit in so it shouldn't be jolted
around too much.

Last week I cycled with a laptop from my house to the railway station (2
miles) with no problems.

Adam

On 18 Mar, 23:46, "Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> > will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> > on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.

> > I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> > on my back?

> > I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.

> > Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

> > Postings from trolls assigned to /dev/null.

> > TIA.

> Coincidentally I am about to do this tomorrow when I cycle to work and then
> cycle with a laptop 6 miles to the station, train into London then cycle
> another 3 miles to UCL. I was planning to put it in one of my panniers which
> happens to be just big enough for it to fit in so it shouldn't be jolted
> around too much.
>
> Last week I cycled with a laptop from my house to the railway station (2
> miles) with no problems.
>
> Adam

I use an Exped Crush dry-bag with foam padded liner inside a regular
backpack. The foam liner is thin yet very shock proof and the outer
bag is totally waterproof. You can also buy a similar foam liner from
PC world. The Exped inner is just big enough for my 15.4" HP.
Al

fred <[email protected]> typed:
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so,
> I will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in
> advice on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and
> land on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

I use the 'normal' laptop carry case/bag and just stick it in a
rucksack. I travelled this way, 10 ish mile commute each way, for
three months without any damage at all. If you are likely to come off
your bike then nowhere's guaranteed safe for a laptop.

--
Paul - ***

Adam Lea wrote on 18/03/2007 23:42 +0100:
> "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Are you particularly likely to fly over the handlebars for any reason?
>> --

> Hitting an unseen pothole at speed might result in this.

And how often does that happen? I've hit some potholes in my time but
never gone over the handlebars. In the event you do one day find a
gianormous one unexpectedly, learning a basic front wheel lift or bunny
hop is a good skill to develop. The good news is, unlike off road, you
don't actually need to leave the ground for it to carry you over a
pothole but if you can get some height you can use it in lots of other
ways such as jumping up kerbs in an emergency. Good skill to learn.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

In article <[email protected]>, fred <[email protected]>
writes
>I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
>will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in
>advice on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
>I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and
>land on my back?
>
>I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
>Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

I have a Swordfish shoulder bag with a padded insert that I carry my
laptop in while I'm on the bike. The insert is a good fit for other bags
as well if I'm not on the bike. It helps if the laptop is small (mine's
a Dell XPS M1210).

But if you're really worried about going over handlebars (I've not
managed it in more than 20 years cycling), copy your files onto a memory
stick and use a computer or laptop at the other end of your commute.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:55:49 -0500
fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so,
> I will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in
> advice on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.

Others have said, go ahead.

I say, try for an incrementally better world. A laptop is not
impossible, but it is more bulk than you *should* need to carry,
when you could take your data on a detachable disc or memory
stick and plug it in to a computer wherever you happen to need it.
If your work doesn't make that possible, have a word with the boss!

(when you do carry the laptop, for heavens sake put the weight
of it on the bike rather than your back. More comfort for you,
and a smoother ride for the laptop).

--
not me guv

fred wrote:
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.

I have a 10 mile each way daily commute, which I do probably 50-60% of
the time on bike.

> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?

I used to use a padded rucksack, but I don't really like things on my
back (much too hot in the summer, general strain all year round)

> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.

I got hold of an Ortlieb Tour Box pannier. It is a hard plastic shell
(like a suitcase) with a fully waterproof zip and Ortlieb's excellent
rack attachment system. It is expensive, but worth the money.

I put my laptop (15" HP) into a padded sleeve - which came from a laptop
rucksack, but any cheap laptop sleeve would do - and it just fits into
the box (if your laptop is bigger than 15" it is unlikely to fit, or at
least would have to go diagonally across the box). There is plenty of
room in the box for a change of clothes, tools etc. It works really well
for me, keeping everything secure and dry and is far more comfortable
than any rucksack. Put onto the right hand side of the bike it also
helps make you look bigger, so cars usually give a wider berth :)

It has survived simple falls (not whilst riding, but the bike toppling
over when propped up badly etc.).

Matt

"fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to increase the amount of cycle-commuting I do. To do so, I
> will have to carry my laptop (no alternative). I'm interested in advice
> on carrying a laptop on a bicycle.
>
> I leary of using a backpack - what if I fly over the handlebars and land
> on my back?
>
> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.
>
> Suggestions and advice gratefully accepted.

When my husband has transported his laptop by bike, he's wrapped it in
bubble wrap then put it in a laptop carrier with fixings for a rear bike
rack - so it's like a pannier and he's then used a couple of bungee cords
for extra security. The carrier was a cheapie Lidl or Aldi one and so far,
over Norfolk's finest potholed & bumpy country lanes the laptop has remained
undamaged & works as normal.

Don't forget that if you walk & carry a laptop, there's a risk of it being
snatched. If you drive & have the laptop in a car, it can get swiped or if
in a crash, damaged.

Just be sensible with it :)

Am Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:55:49 -0500 schrieb fred:

> I've not seen any panniers that are designed for laptops.

I've got the larger version of the Ortlieb Office Bag plus notebook insert.
But most of the time, I I simply put the Notebook insert with my laptop in
my Deuter Trans Alpine 30 rucksack. The laptop fits in fine - plus the
carrying system is one of the best on the market. So the rucksack stays
rockstable on the back. And if I have anything additional to get from A to
B I put it in the Office Bag.

If you've already got a good backpack something like this is useful. I used
it on my old 13" laptop:
<http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/tatonka_workstation_14/>

Andreas

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

> (when you do carry the laptop, for heavens sake put the weight
> of it on the bike rather than your back. More comfort for you,
> and a smoother ride for the laptop).

No so. The ride is smoother on your back than connected to the bike.
I can't imagine any possible mechanism for concluding otherwise - what
is your reasoning?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Adam Lea wrote on 18/03/2007 23:42 +0100:
>> "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Are you particularly likely to fly over the handlebars for any reason?
>>> --

>> Hitting an unseen pothole at speed might result in this.

> And how often does that happen? I've hit some potholes in my time but
> never gone over the handlebars. In the event you do one day find a
> gianormous one unexpectedly, learning a basic front wheel lift or bunny
> hop is a good skill to develop. The good news is, unlike off road, you
> don't actually need to leave the ground for it to carry you over a
> pothole but if you can get some height you can use it in lots of other
> ways such as jumping up kerbs in an emergency. Good skill to learn.

The one and only time I've ever gone over the handlebars was the result of
hitting a pile of boulders at 46mph. However, I've seen it done just by
overbraking - it's one of those accidents which doesn't often happen to an
experienced cyclist, but which beginners find remarkably easy.

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

On 19 Mar 2007 13:47:29 GMT
Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > (when you do carry the laptop, for heavens sake put the weight
> > of it on the bike rather than your back. More comfort for you,
> > and a smoother ride for the laptop).

> No so. The ride is smoother on your back than connected to the
> bike. I can't imagine any possible mechanism for concluding otherwise
> - what is your reasoning?

Empirical evidence ...

Some years ago I had a problem with mice in the house
(they're a problem because they're noisy and messy).
So I made efforts to catch them.

Those I was able to catch alive and well, I carried in a trap
up to the woods, maybe three miles away (the same woods where,
among other things, I'd gathered the chestnuts these mice had
scoffed). The first one, I put the trap into my small backpack.
Taking it out, the mouse was on death's door after the shaking it
had suffered (which of course I wasn't aware of). So next mouse
I caught went in a pannier, and arrived in the woods unshaken
and in good health.

That's on Italian roads, which are a lot bumpier than ours.

--
not me guv

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:15:08 +0000, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > And how often does that happen? I've hit some potholes in my time
> > but never gone over the handlebars. In the event you do one day
> > find a gianormous one unexpectedly, learning a basic front wheel
> > lift or bunny hop is a good skill to develop. The good news is,
> > unlike off road, you don't actually need to leave the ground for
> > it to carry you over a pothole but if you can get some height you
> > can use it in lots of other ways such as jumping up kerbs in an
> > emergency. Good skill to learn.

> The one and only time I've ever gone over the handlebars was the
> result of hitting a pile of boulders at 46mph. However, I've seen
> it done just by overbraking - it's one of those accidents which
> doesn't often happen to an experienced cyclist, but which beginners
> find remarkably easy.

My first bike was a fixed-wheel (does that make me cool?)

When riding fixed, my advice is don't take your feet off teh pedals
while going downhill in order to go faster. Honestly, it seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The road on which I undertook this experiment was steep downhill, then
turned hard 90 degrees right. I didn't turn. My wheel met the kerb
perpendicularly, and I went over teh handlebars.

As it happened, I cleared a low fence into a garden and a conveniently
placed rose-bush broke my fall, so besides a large number of embedded
rose-thorns and other minor lacerations, I was basically uninjured. I
count it my most spectacular childhood bike 'accident'.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|