Cateye® CD300DW Wireless - Anyone have experience

mahootay11

Jan 26, 2004
Thinking about purchasing this computer so I will be able to track speed and distance for both indoor and outdoor training. It has wireless speed and cadence from a single rear mount sensor. Anyone out there use this computer or heard any feedback on it? Any other compuers out there that can give me the same function? Wireless is a key selling point for me.

hello, i have had this computer on my bike for 3 weeks now. it works flawlessly very clean and simple installation kind of tricky to program, but if you follow the directions it is easy even for me. gives all kinds of information all i wanted was speed and cadence but find myself using some of the other functions as well.i had a mavic wintech and hated the cadence part of it. couldnt keep it ty rapped in the same place.bought it at performance bike.

I have had this computer for about 4 months now. Every now and then it will loose contact wth the sensor and I have to reset it. Does anyone else have this problem?? It even did it when it was new. So I dont think it was the batteries.

Other than that it is great.

MGSuarez said:
I have had this computer for about 4 months now. Every now and then it will loose contact wth the sensor and I have to reset it. Does anyone else have this problem?? It even did it when it was new. So I dont think it was the batteries.

Other than that it is great.

Remember that it can only receive signals up to 100cm. So try moving the speed/cad unit as close as possible to the receiver. I had that problem before, moved it as close as possible and so far no more crashing. Good luck.

I have a small frame so its well in reach with about 10cm to spare. Anyone else have this problem??

Hello,

Has anyone used this computer along with a heart rate monitor. I know that the manual says that you should not use any other wireless device with the CD300DW. Thanks.

Thomas

Steve,
What HRM are you using with this? I'm considering the same setup.

Steve Holloway said:
I have had mine for about 6 months, without any problems, even while wearing my heart rate monitor.

Steve Holloway said:
I have had mine for about 6 months, without any problems, even while wearing my heart rate monitor.
Steve,

I noticed youve had a CD300DW for a while. I've had mine for two months and I too think its great. However, two days ago while out on a ride displays 1 and 2 started flashing. According to the manual this indicates the sensor battery needs replacing. I did that and followed the check ID procedure and the restart procedure and I tried another set of batteries and I can't seem to stop the display from flashing. Have you heard of this problem or experienced it yourself? Any solutions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Raul

I have never had that happen so I guess I can't really help you with that one... I too have replaced the batteries, but the computer's went out first, so I just replaced the sensors batteries at the same time. Maybe you could try replacing the computers batteries also? Sorry wish I could help more...

I have had my CD300DW for a little over a year now and have not had any of the problems listed above. I also use a HR monitor and have had no problems with the CD300DW. I do have problems with my HR monitor occasionally but have not been able to link it to the computer.

I use mine with a Polar Heart monitor. In fact, when training in my garage, they are both on the same bike.
The speed and cadence sensors are combined into one unit that mounts on the chainstay so it can pick up speed from the back wheel and cadence from the left crank arm. So you can have speed and cadence while on the trainer. Some computers require the speed sensor to be on the front fork.
It definitely has more "bells and whistles" than you need. Gives you something to do as you are sweating away.

thomaslee said:
Hello,

Has anyone used this computer along with a heart rate monitor. I know that the manual says that you should not use any other wireless device with the CD300DW. Thanks.

Thomas

Go with the Polar CS200CAD. Great computer. I have ridden with it for about 2 weeks and it is awesome. It seems very accurate and was easy to setup. It has all the speed goodies, heart rate, and cadence. You can buy just the CS200 and it will not come with the cadence sensor. They make it as an add on if you just buy the CS200. It cost me $160 new from my LBS, but if you look on ebay chances are you can get it a little cheaper. I highly recommend it!

Right on. I added the cadence sensor separately. Bought both on line for a total of about $130.

rudycyclist said:
Go with the Polar CS200CAD. Great computer. I have ridden with it for about 2 weeks and it is awesome. It seems very accurate and was easy to setup. It has all the speed goodies, heart rate, and cadence. You can buy just the CS200 and it will not come with the cadence sensor. They make it as an add on if you just buy the CS200. It cost me $160 new from my LBS, but if you look on ebay chances are you can get it a little cheaper. I highly recommend it!

I've not had any problems with mine but I can't figure out how to reset the trip odometer/avg. speed/cadence so I can tell how far I've gone. Usually I just check the mileage and then subtract later but sometimes I forget.

I've used the Cateye for about a year now and love the thing! I have never had any problems with the computer. The only thing was getting it calibrated. I used the rolling tire method to calculate my data for the milage/speed set up. It is now spot on. When I replaced the battery, it worked fine. For the price, you can't get a better computer.

Mark

bbattle said:
I've not had any problems with mine but I can't figure out how to reset the trip odometer/avg. speed/cadence so I can tell how far I've gone. Usually I just check the mileage and then subtract later but sometimes I forget.
Push the Start/Enter (On the bottom/side) and the Mode 1 button (Bottom left on top) at the same time for a second and it should reset. You may have to be in the mode that is showing Time/Distance/Avg Speed in the bottom section of the screen.

unicos said:
Push the Start/Enter (On the bottom/side) and the Mode 1 button (Bottom left on top) at the same time for a second and it should reset. You may have to be in the mode that is showing Time/Distance/Avg Speed in the bottom section of the screen.
You can be in any mode to rest the current info. I haventhad a problem with it in the past year I have had it. No fashing displays, dying batteries, nuttin. Last ride I had issues with my HRM interference, but I had also tried changing my setup and my HRM was actually touching the comp, it was that close. Moved em a little further apart, and have no more probs. Some of the best money I have spent on my bike. Wouldnt want any other bike computer.

No problems with my Cateye CDW-300. Like it and use it with my Timex Ironman Speed, Distance, and HRM without any interference.

rudycyclist said:
Does the speed sensor of the Polar CS200CAD work on the rear wheel? Since I spend more time on the trainer than on the road, a front wheel speed sensor does me no good.