CATEYE Astrale 8 Computer

thereiner

Sep 14, 2003
Does anybody have any experience with The Astale 8? Is it worth buying? Should I spend a few bucks more for the Flightdeck?

Thanks

Originally posted by thereiner
Does anybody have any experience with The Astale 8? Is it worth buying? Should I spend a few bucks more for the Flightdeck?

Thanks

Can't say much about the Astrale 8 yet, since we just bought one for my wife yesterday. But, if that's what you're looking at, you might want to know that REI has them on sale for $29.99.

Not sure about the Astrale "8", but have been using an Astrale for a while now and love it. The ability to see cadence and speed at the same time is helpful for me

Originally posted by thereiner

Thanks

I have a Flight Deck myself, but flipping thru the latest issue of Bicycling magazine, the Astrale 8 is in their short list for the must-have gear that cyclists love. I think they said something about the fact that you get everything you need in a cycling computer including cadence all for under $40... (From the above about REI price it looks like quite a bit under $40)

I went with the Flight Deck because it integrates with my STI levers and I like the visual gear indicator, and now I have alot of overlap though because I also have a Polar s720i for all the heart rate functions... I wish someone would get it all in one clean unit...

But to answer your question, according to Bicycling Magazine you can't go wrong going with the Cateye Astrale 8...

Have a good one!

Feanor

I've also got the just superseded Astrale, which I put on the bike to use during the ride as it's simple and reliable (and save the somewhat fussy Polar s720i for seeing what happened after the ride)...

Recommend it highly. Plus, from what I'm told, doesn't the Flightdeck calculate simulated cadence (from the gears and speed) whereas the Astrale takes actual cadence (magnet on the crank)? Whilst the two should be the same, I'm a big fan of the KISS principle...

Originally posted by Cletus75
I've also got the just superseded Astrale, which I put on the bike to use during the ride as it's simple and reliable (and save the somewhat fussy Polar s720i for seeing what happened after the ride)...

Recommend it highly. Plus, from what I'm told, doesn't the Flightdeck calculate simulated cadence (from the gears and speed) whereas the Astrale takes actual cadence (magnet on the crank)? Whilst the two should be the same, I'm a big fan of the KISS principle...

It appears to sometimes have some mounting problems but other than that I think it would be fine. I picked up the astrale from performance for about $20 and love the cadence feature.

I also have the '8. My only complaint is that the wiring harness is not long enough to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel so it can't be used on a trainer.

I have it. I like having the cadence which works on a trainer even if you can't get wheel speed like hedge mentioned. Then again I don't feel that wheel speed much matters on a trainer since you are not comparing apples based on the differences between road and trainer. Cadence and heart rate from my HRM is all I need for the trainer. It would be nice to have cadence and HR together for less than $100 us on the cyclocomp, but nobody seems to have that option.

the Astrale 8 was easy to mount and the sensors have enough power that you don't have to mount them on top of each other like my old cateye mity3 needed.