Cigar smoking and cycling

Chaim

Jan 24, 2004
I am a cigar smoker and looking for success stories involve quitting and the effect of cycling performance.

Shouldn't be any major improvement -- you don't inhale it. Probably less smoke in your lungs than if you were to eat out at a restaurant for dinner ever night in Europe.

I don't know what the effect of the nicotene is, though.

Depends on how long you've been smoking for. The longer you smoke the worse you lungs will be. I used to smoke a packet of cigarettes a day for 2.5 years and quit. That was 3 or more years ago and I've kept a resnoble level of fitness up since. I took up cycling about 2 months ago and I am doing fine. I've tryed to find some info on how long you have to smoke for for smoking to do permanant damage. I think I'm fully recovered now. I know this isn't cigars so I hope it helps.

Chaim said:
I am a cigar smoker and looking for success stories involve quitting and the effect of cycling performance.

AH, another puffer cyclist, I smoke cigars although it's tappering of these days I use to smoke 2-3 a week and I don't inhale and I'm a very active cyclist, I will go ahead and say that it doesn't affect my biking. :D

I am not being judgemental here or holier than thou,but the less complicated you can make your life the better it will probably be be.All of your life not just cycling should improve.I usually vote GOP so I am not bashing Rush Limbaugh here,but I was the least surprised person to hear of his drug addiction,because I knew he was a cigar afficianado,and folks that do one type of drug are far more prone to do another.Slippery slope there.

Chaim said:

I am a cigar smoker and a cyclist, and I do not intend to give up either. I really don't believe (nor does my doctor) that a few cigars a week have any affect on fitness or training.

If you want to quit, the best way I know is to give yourself a reward with the money you will save. That can be a mighty powerful incentive. That was the only thing that worked (after dozens of attempts) for me when I gave up cigarettes.