Colnago Bititan

Trent

Guest
Hi, I have a few questions about the Colango Bititan. I posted them on rec.bicycles.racing and have
not seen a response, so I hope you'll be able to help out. I saw this Bititan on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146

I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic as it was around for years. Is it a good
frame? What's with the double down tubes as well as the different shaped tubes? Does it handle as
nice as my Master Light?

"Trent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have a few questions about the Colango Bititan. I posted them on rec.bicycles.racing and
> have not seen a response, so I hope you'll be able to help out. I saw this Bititan on eBay at
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
>
> I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic as it was around for years. Is it a
> good frame? What's with the double down tubes as well as the different shaped tubes? Does it
> handle as nice as my Master Light?

Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like a Master Ti, not a BiTitan. I have a '97 Master Ti with
twin downtube and the "Master" diamond shaped top tube and other than color, looks exactly like the
eBay bike.

Aside from the size, the 'Master' geometry throughout the line is pretty much the same. So the
handling qualities of the Master Ti should be more or less the same as the Master Light. The main
difference will be the "Ti" ride qualities. The double down tubes were Colnagos' way of keeping a
stiff BB without resorting to a huge oversized downtube. Colnagos have always had a certain 'look'
and the twin down tubes enabled them to do that. Plus Colnago has always tried to do things a little
differently.

If you like your Master Light, the Master Ti will be the same except smoother.

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:RDUaa.26299$F1.1576@sccrnsc04...

> "Trent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I have a few questions about the Colango Bititan. I posted them on rec.bicycles.racing and
> > have not seen a response, so I hope you'll be able to help out. I saw this Bititan on eBay at
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
> >
> > I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic as it was around for years. Is it a
> > good frame? What's with the double down tubes as well as the different shaped tubes? Does it
> > handle as nice as my Master Light?
>
> Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like a Master Ti, not a BiTitan. I
have
> a '97 Master Ti with twin downtube and the "Master" diamond shaped top
tube
> and other than color, looks exactly like the eBay bike.
>
> Aside from the size, the 'Master' geometry throughout the line is pretty much the same. So the
> handling qualities of the Master Ti should be more
or
> less the same as the Master Light. The main difference will be the "Ti"
ride
> qualities. The double down tubes were Colnagos' way of keeping a stiff BB without resorting to a
> huge oversized downtube. Colnagos have always had a certain 'look' and the twin down tubes enabled
> them to do that. Plus
Colnago
> has always tried to do things a little differently.
>
> If you like your Master Light, the Master Ti will be the same except smoother.

As an addendum, the Colnago Bititan had stories circulating about cracking at the BB/seat tube
joint. I don't know how credible these stories are, but when I bought my Master Ti the seller was
quite vocal about the bike NOT being a Bititan. I believe the bike on eBay is not a Bititan but a
Master Ti, due to the top tube shape.

Perhaps you could contact the importer http://www.trialtir-usa.com/home.html and ask your questions.
Will the seller provide you a serial number?