Congestion Charge: Guardian Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I can feel my head slowly being pushed under the surface of the waters by a bunch of people
> who can't appreciate that others might have legitimate but different views. I'm obviously
> going the way of
predecessors
> who appealed for reasoned debate or didn't even enter the discussion for fear of being mobbed.

OK, if that's how you feel. Me, I would probably shrug and walk away, unless the post came from a
serial ****** like Mr. Safety.

Me, I think Colin got the tone about right. He started with "Worth reading and summed up by this
quote for those who don't have the means/time:"

And the quote nicely encapsulates the tone of the article.

You may not like the article, I don't know what the reaction would be if you took issue with the
article itself, but Colin posted a lighthearted comment on a day heavy with whining cagers on the
crossposted congestion charging thread. Heh! If the weight of whining in that thread is anything to
go by, the deterrent efect of Ken's charge is pretty significant :)

Oh, and I don't use the word "cagers" on uk.tosspot - it inflames the poor dears. We are among
friends here, all of us ride bikes (except Mr. Safety) and most of us also drive cars. Even Volvos.
Even me. When I can't avoid it ;-)

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> There have been several comments about the strong anti-motorist bias of this NG and not just from
> me. If you choose not to read them or to forget them that's not my fault.
>
> Anyway, I can feel my head slowly being pushed under the surface of the waters by a bunch of
> people who can't appreciate that others might have legitimate but different views. I'm obviously
> going the way of predecessors who appealed for reasoned debate or didn't even enter the discussion
> for fear of being mobbed.

What he said!

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> I wonder how someone with your anger could ever be happy though. It's never necessary to call
> someone a '*******'. Think about it with a nice calming cup of tea.

How nice of you to tell everyone who disagrees with you how they feel.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:48:55 -0000 someone who may be "Michael MacClancy"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>or didn't even enter the discussion for fear of being mobbed.

It's a claim that comes up from time to time. "Those nasty cyclists were threatening and I
felt afraid."

The claim is entirely bogus though. I have seen death threats made on Internet, but they were made
by the unacceptable face of motoring. I have yet to see the sustainable transport lobby resort to
the same tactics. That doesn't surprise me.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> I wonder how someone with your anger could ever be happy though.

Pots and kettles.

Is it just me, or do the vast majority of Michael's posts in urc seem to be taking umbrage at some
light-hearted comment or other?

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

In news:[email protected], Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> typed:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote: There have been several comments about the strong anti-motorist
> bias of this NG and not just from me. If you choose not to read them or to forget them that's not
> my fault.

I don't *really* see a "strong anti-motorist bias"; as has been said many times most of the readers
here drive cars sometimes, or know people who do!

What I *do* see, is sometimes satirical humour directed at people who use cars in a *selfish and
unsustainable* manner.

And (with the exception of a couple of posts) its mostly *only* *jokes* on the motorists, rather
than on uk.tosspot where people are *regularly* advocating violence and illegal/offensive behaviour
against "inferior" road users.

People here are only anti the *bad*, *dangerous* motorists; and are just as quick to challenge bad
behaviour when cycling.(such as intimidating peds, not having lights etc). Or they are laughing at
*themselves* when something forces them to drive a car or use other methods of transport.

There isn't half the *hate* and *real* anger spouted on here than on other groups. And all groups
*do* tend to have a "political" position, or advocate/defend the ethos of the group (like silly holy
wars over operating systems and computers, which I don't get involved in).

I fear you have acquired an *American* sense of "humor" somewhere along the line, and suggest you
get rid of this /forthwith/; sell it on E-bay if you wish. You may would probably only get a 3
dollar bill for this; but if you fold it six times you can see a secret picture explaining why
aliens are abducting people on Great Hollands estate; and you can also use it to adjust toe-in on
your brakes.

Alex

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:53:03 +0000, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have seen death threats made on Internet, but they were made by the unacceptable face of
>motoring.

Really? I can hardly believe Smith would do such a thing.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:17:54 -0000, "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I fear you have acquired an *American* sense of "humor" somewhere along the line, and suggest you
>get rid of this /forthwith/; sell it on E-bay if you wish. You may would probably only get a 3
>dollar bill for this;

Scarcity would up that price considerably :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] wrote: You may would probably only get a 3
dollar bill
> for this; but if you fold it six times you can see a secret picture explaining why aliens are
> abducting people on Great Hollands estate;

OMG You're not serious about this are you? I mean, I rode through Great Hollands on the weekend. I
must have been lucky to get out the other side.

LOL
--
Michael MacClancy

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
> >
> > I share the author's opinion and sense of humour. Happy now?
> >
> > Colin
>
> I'm perfectly happy, always am.
>
> I wonder how someone with your anger could ever be happy though. It's never necessary to call
> someone a '*******'. Think about it with a nice calming cup of tea.

I'm thoroughly happy because, believe it or not, usenet posts don't annoy me much at all because
they just aren't that important. I'm not the one angered by the original post here. I've not called
anyone a *******, other than that Tony W, who asked for it.

Colin

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:09:02 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>I have seen death threats made on Internet, but they were made by the unacceptable face of
>>motoring.
>
>Really?

Yes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<MPG.18bc62a9442e7d8098979d@localhost>...
> In article <[email protected]>, no_spam@not_btclick.com says...
>
> > Here here. The article is offensive. Why tar those born out of wedlock with the cagers in the
> > cities.;-)
>
> Is it born out of wedlock or conceived out of wedlock. Just wondered :-(

Born.

--
Dave...

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<oiy4a.2453$%[email protected]>...

> I don't *really* see a "strong anti-motorist bias"; as has been said many times most of the
> readers here drive cars sometimes, or know people who do!

... or have been injured by people who do.

--
Dave...

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Michael MacClancy wrote:
>> I wonder how someone with your anger could ever be happy though.
>
> Pots and kettles.
>
> Is it just me, or do the vast majority of Michael's posts in urc seem to be taking umbrage at some
> light-hearted comment or other?

Oy. Colyer - I'll get you.

How dare you say it's someone else who takes umbrage at some light-hearted comment or other? I think
you'll find that's my job. I demand satisfaction

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:53:03 +0000, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have seen death threats made on Internet, but they were made by the unacceptable face of
>> motoring.
>
> Really? I can hardly believe Smith would do such a thing.
>

I wound one of his mates up once by suggesting that I might enjoy holding him up in my little Ka. He
sugested something a long the lines that his (whatever big) car could push me off the road.

Nice chaps.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>I have seen death threats made on Internet, but they were made by the unacceptable face of
> >>motoring.
> >Really?
> Yes.

Just as well they're all mouth and trousers, I suppose. Bunch of ignorant gits. I rather enjoyed the
Grauniad's critique of why such a group of selfish tossers can't organise an effective protest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.