Congestion Charge

"Whingin' Pom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> If you want to really be sure, when the TV license bloke calls, keep him waiting on the doorstep
> whilst you phone the TV license organisation and ask them to describe the man on your doorstep who
> is claiming to be an inspector.
> --
> Matt K Dunedin, NZ

*********** - I didn't know the inspectors went that far in search of license dodgers. "Bye dear,
I'll be away for a few months, just driving the detector van down to New Zealand to catch some
expats watching the BBC on line" ;-)

Tony

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:08:43 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Whingin' Pom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> If you want to really be sure, when the TV license bloke calls, keep him waiting on the doorstep
>> whilst you phone the TV license organisation and ask them to describe the man on your doorstep
>> who is claiming to be an inspector.
>> --
>> Matt K Dunedin, NZ
>
>*********** - I didn't know the inspectors went that far in search of license dodgers. "Bye dear,
>I'll be away for a few months, just driving the detector van down to New Zealand to catch some
>expats watching the BBC on line" ;-)

Don't be daft. As eny fule kno they have submarines that catch offenders by using a big net.

ObBike. We have the steepest street in the world here. :)

--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

"Whingin' Pom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> ObBike. We have the steepest street in the world here. :)
>

Rumour is the town was named after a cyclist who attempted that street and was last seen limping
away muttering "Done knee in"

IGMC

Tony

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:20:55 +1300, Whingin' Pom wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:14:21 +0000, [email protected] (Alan J. Wylie) wrote: <snip>
>>If you don't know the caller, ask to see their identity card. Check it carefully, and keep the
>>chain on while you do this. Genuine callers won't mind if you close the door while you do this.
>>

Just a quick comment - the TV inspectors I met never introduced themselves as TV inspectors. One
asked to read the meter, and whilst I was showing him that it was outside on the garden wall he
asked me 'had I watched the football last night' - I mentioned we had no TV at which point he lost
interest in the meter and told me it was fine to keep it in the attic as long as I didn't watch it
in the attic, and the nasty letters stopped for a while. I was about 14 at the time.

In student halls a few years later, we had a visit from an 'European consumer survey' official who
spent 10 minutes asking my French flatmate about yoghurt preferences, then a few minutes asking him
what TV he watched, and what TV other people in the flat watched. We never found out for sure, but I
think this was more of the same.

>>If you're still not sure, ask the caller to come back later. You can then check their story by
>>phoning the organisation or company they claim to represent. Look up the number in your own
>>telephone directory. Don't rely on the telephone number on their card - it may be the number of a
>>crook's partner.
>
> Just popping out of lurkdom to comment on this.
>
> If you want to really be sure, when the TV license bloke calls, keep him waiting on the doorstep
> whilst you phone the TV license organisation and ask them to describe the man on your doorstep who
> is claiming to be an inspector. After all, a name can be faked as well as a phone number.
> Supposing they have just scanned a real ID? Of course, if they protest about this, call the
> police. I despise the presumption of guilt that comes with being TV-free. It is only fair to
> reflect this presumption back upon them. Assume they are a con-man/burglar until they prove
> otherwise.
>
> Give the inspector as weird a time as possible. Think Royston Vasey. Insist they remove shoes
> before entering and make them wear plastic bags over their socks. Place newspaper down for them to
> step on as they inspect your house. Carry a spray bottle and cloth and clean anything they touch.
> Be polite, but be weird. Have a little fun. :)
>

That's beautiful - unfortunately I never thought to be this creative. I don't even think we offered
the detector van people a cup of tea.

"anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
>
> Just a quick comment - the TV inspectors I met never introduced themselves as TV inspectors. One
> asked to read the meter, and whilst I was showing him that it was outside on the garden wall he
> asked me 'had I watched the football last night' - I mentioned we had no TV at which point he lost
> interest in the meter and told me it was fine to keep it in the attic as long as I didn't watch it
> in the attic, and the nasty letters stopped for a while. I was about 14 at the time.
>

That's why you should ask for their ID card. Could have been a TV inspector, could have been a
scally casing the place and seeing if there was something worth nicking. For a TV inspector I would
suggest any evidence obtained by deception would be inadmissible anyway. But would be fun to ask for
his card and when he couldn't produce one make a citizen's arrest and call the police.

Tony

On 2004-02-28, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I had an inspector visit.
>
> "Do come in and have a look at my Non-TV." I said.
>
> He went no further than the doorstep as it seem obvious to him I had no TV.
>

We had lots of threatening letters, pretty well accusing us of breaking the law. We also had friends
thinking we were poor not owning a TV. We eventually bought one, but hardly ever watch it.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.

Tony Raven wrote: But would be fun to ask for his
> card and when he couldn't produce one make a citizen's arrest and call the police.
>
> Tony

Out of interest, how do you go about making a citizens arrest?
--
Mark

After thinking long about a signature I've decided not to bother.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:40:16 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
> "anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>>
>> Just a quick comment - the TV inspectors I met never introduced themselves as TV inspectors. One
>> asked to read the meter, and whilst I was showing him that it was outside on the garden wall he
>> asked me 'had I watched the football last night' - I mentioned we had no TV at which point he
>> lost interest in the meter and told me it was fine to keep it in the attic as long as I didn't
>> watch it in the attic, and the nasty letters stopped for a while. I was about 14 at the time.
>>
>
> That's why you should ask for their ID card.

I agree - but for my pride's sake, the guy had already passed our external meter next to the garden
gate. I was only showing him to the gate.

> Could have been a TV inspector, could have been a scally casing the place and seeing if there was
> something worth nicking.

But how would he have known we didn't have a TV license, and why would the letters have stopped
after his visit?

> For a TV inspector I would suggest any evidence obtained by deception would be
> inadmissible anyway.

Maybe they just want to find out who it's worth getting a search-warrant for, and who the
televisionless deviants are? Save a lot of trouble and maybe the magistrates would look down on it
if they have too low a hit:miss ratio.

> But would be fun to ask for his card and when he couldn't produce one make a citizen's arrest and
> call the police.

They're complete Nazis - I couldn't agree more. Though since Mr Hutton's report I've rediscovered a
modicum of affection for the BBC.

AC

On 29 Feb 2004 18:49:10 GMT,
Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> We also had friends thinking we were poor not owning a TV.

One of my wife's acquaintances came out with "don't you think it's a bit extreme not having one in
teh house?". I just don't comprehend that - I mean, I don't have an electric rice-cooker either, on
teh grounds I don't think I'd get enough benefit from it to be worth adding it to my possessions,
but no-one labels this decision as one of dangerous extremism.

I wanted to ask her if she had a [guessed unlikely appliance] and then question whether it wasn't a
bit extreme not to, but I wasn't allowed.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:16:42 -0000, "Tony Raven"

>
>"Whingin' Pom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> ObBike. We have the steepest street in the world here. :)
>>
>
>Rumour is the town was named after a cyclist who attempted that street and was last seen limping
>away muttering "Done knee in"

<groan>

From what I understand, the town was planned on a desk in Edinburgh, without the aid of contour
lines and in 1898, a local bye-law was passed banning tailwinds from the city.
--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

"Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 29 Feb 2004 18:49:10 GMT, Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > We also had friends thinking we were poor not owning a TV.
>
> One of my wife's acquaintances came out with "don't you think it's a bit extreme not having one in
> teh house?". I just don't comprehend that - I mean, I don't have an electric rice-cooker either,
> on teh grounds I don't think I'd get enough benefit from it to be worth adding it to my
> possessions, but no-one labels this decision as one of dangerous extremism.
>
> I wanted to ask her if she had a [guessed unlikely appliance] and then question whether it wasn't
> a bit extreme not to, but I wasn't allowed.
>

My sister-in-law wouldn't have a television in the house for a long time, but her oldest child, who
has now left home, has never really forgiven her for it - she thinks she suffered a deprived
childhood! She does now have one, for the younger children, although still places a lot of
restrictions on its use. I think she decided family harmony was more important than her principles!

Rich

Richard Goodman wrote:
>
> My sister-in-law wouldn't have a television in the house for a long time, but her oldest child,
> who has now left home, has never really forgiven her for it - she thinks she suffered a deprived
> childhood!
>

Too true. How do you compete in a pub quiz or play Trivial Pursuit if you don't know your media
culture ;-^)

Tony

Whingin' Pom <[email protected]>typed

> From what I understand, the town was planned on a desk in Edinburgh, without the aid of contour
> lines and in 1898, a local bye-law was passed banning tailwinds from the city.

You do realise that Dun-Edin was the old name for Edin-Burgh, don't you?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]>typed

> Richard Goodman wrote:
> >
> > My sister-in-law wouldn't have a television in the house for a long time, but her oldest child,
> > who has now left home, has never really forgiven her for it - she thinks she suffered a deprived
> > childhood!
> >

> Too true. How do you compete in a pub quiz or play Trivial Pursuit if you don't know your media
> culture ;-^)

You leave those questions to other members of the team. TV-free partner and I won and others Choir
quiz by big margin. We'd spent our TV-free time acquiring much other knowledge by other means.

I blame my parents; they have 6 children only one of whom has a TV. We were brought up
without a TV...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:28:44 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
> >Mark Thompson wrote:
> >>
> >> According to the lone anti-licence fee protestor ...you can use a TV as a monitor...as long as
> >> it isn't tuned in or used to watch TV
> >
> >What's the situation if you view on-line rather than with an aerial?
>
> Depends on what you mean by 'on-line'
>
> If you have a satellite receiver / cable box which connect to a TV, the tv has a tuner in it.
> (Whether or not you connect it to an aerial)
>
> If you connect the satellite receiver/cable box to a monitor & speakers via S-Video or
> something, do the satellite receiver or cable box count as tv receivers, I wonder. (I suspect
> they do, mind you.)

yes

> There is another definition of 'on-line' of course - If you download material from the BBC's
> website and view on a PC (and don't possess a radio or tv tuner of any kind, presumably you don't
> need a licence.

I believe this is legally uncertain (or certainly was at some point). the TVLA made noises about it
at one point but I am afraid I cannot recall the details. I don't think that viewing bbc content was
the issue, it rested on whether streamed media was a tv service or not

best wishes james

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:41:59 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht

>Whingin' Pom <[email protected]>typed
>
>
>> From what I understand, the town was planned on a desk in Edinburgh, without the aid of contour
>> lines and in 1898, a local bye-law was passed banning tailwinds from the city.
>
>You do realise that Dun-Edin was the old name for Edin-Burgh, don't you?

Yep. Settled by Scots about 150 years back. The street map is oddly familiar to anyone from
Edinburgh. There's a Billy Connolly show about it coming up. He was here filming a couple of
weeks ago.

Saw the weirdest thing on the roads today. One minute, it's chucking it down with rain, the next the
suns out and the roads are knee deep in mist as the rain evaporates. Rivers of mist flowing uphill
as the temperature climbed 15 degrees in about 10 minutes.

It really makes cycle-clothing really work for it's living.

--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
: Last month's letter was particularly threatening saying they had "caught 288 evaders in my area in
: the last three months alone" and that "there is a very real chance you could be taken to court and
: fined up to £1000". Well, as there are only around 1500 houses, that's one 'ell of a big
: proportion of my neighbours who've been done. I suspect a fib ;-)

I found that ringing them up works well. They seem to have some sort of "we believe them really"
flag on the DB and once you manage to convince them they stop hassleing you.

Though when I asked what I should do about the "we are going to take you to court for not having a
TV" letter I had had just recieved, I was told (to paraphrase) "oh them, we just send them out
anyway, put it in the bin".

Sigh.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

: Too true. How do you compete in a pub quiz or play Trivial Pursuit if you don't know your media
: culture ;-^)

This is a real problem. My knowledge of TV anything is extremely poor post 1990 (when I left my
parent's house) since I haven't had a TV since. Though it's usually easily solved by the fact that
lots of other people know all about TV soaps.

A more serious problem is that neither I, nor any of my friends, have any interest in or knowledge
whatsoever of football. Makes the "sport" round tricky sometimes.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:

> I found that ringing them up works well. They seem to have some sort of "we believe them really"
> flag on the DB and once you manage to convince them they stop hassleing you.

I've always just waited for them to come around to get me to find that I really don't have one after
all, and I have yet to meet them after years of no TV. A couple of times I have been left "we came
around to throw you in jail, but you weren't in, so we didn't" cards, but since they only ever
seemed to call during standard work hours they obviously weren't trying too hard...

A pal with a B&W TV did get a visit to make sure she really did have a B&W set. She said the
inspectors were rather amazed and amused to find she'd been telling the truth!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/