Consequences for bicyclist doing 23 kph over limit in VIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David S . Maddi

I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
amount (albeit under very safe conditions).

Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.

Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).

What are the consequences of a bicyclist being caught for doing 23 kph over the limit in a 50 kph
zone in VIC? What can possibly happen apart from a fine? Presumably it would not alter his driver's
license suspension because no license is required for a bicycle?

David

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
> amount (albeit under very safe conditions).
>
> Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
>
> Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).

He's a liar.

--
Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

The U.S. Government is in the peculiar position of toppling foreign governments in the name of
democracy.

Oh, how democractic!

He would most likley get an unsafe riding charge/fine. This is what happend to a cyclist in QLD who
did about 100 down a hill where the limit was 75, several years back.

No affect to licence as that has nothing to do with human powered transport.

P.

>
> I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
>
>
>
> What are the consequences of a bicyclist being caught for doing 23 kph over the limit in a 50 kph
> zone in VIC? What can possibly happen apart from a fine? Presumably it would not alter his
> driver's license suspension because no license is required for a bicycle?
>
> David

Alan Erskine wrote:

>>Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).

> He's a liar.

Why? We've done more than that. Though, it being a 50 zone, if your backstreets are anything like
they are in sydney, you don't too many with enough of a runup.

Still doable.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

Alan Erskine wrote:

> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
>
> He's a liar.
>

How so? I used to manage 65km/h on a mountain bike, down a steep street near my house when I was 11
years old. I'd imagine someone who rides on a reglar basis on a road/racing bike could easily get to
75km or more.

>
>
>
>
> What are the consequences of a bicyclist being caught for doing 23 kph over the limit in a 50 kph
> zone in VIC? What can possibly happen apart from a fine? Presumably it would not alter his
> driver's license suspension because no license is required for a bicycle?
>
> David
>

I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications on your car licence. I once
rode past police who were investigating a car that had knocked over a tree (at 4am). I'd had many
drinks, I was riding on the footpath, at high speed, and had to stop to lift my bike over the tree
trunk (which was lying across the path). The cops made smart **** comments about me as I lifted the
bike over the tree. I then jumped back on and rode away into the night.

AFAIK, when you ride your bike, you are supposed to abide by road rules. The only thing that binds
you to road rules is your licence...

The thing is, if they take your licence off you for exceeding the speed limit on your bike, well,
then you ride your bike around :)

> He's a liar.
>
>

what the? I have hit 80+ on several occasions down a long straight wide steep hill. Have a look at
what some of the pro's get up to on a downhill. Way in excess of this.

Pete

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > He's a liar.
> >
> >
>
> what the? I have hit 80+ on several occasions down a long straight wide steep hill. Have a look at
> what some of the pro's get up to on a
downhill.
> Way in excess of this.

The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph but that was down the side of a
volcano on an purpose built engineered racing bike. Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes
doing around 35- 40kph but I don't think they could go much faster.

> I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications on your car licence.

That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher penalty if you had a
drivers licence.

That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.

> The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph but
that
> was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing bike. Using a radar I quite
> often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph but I don't think they could go much faster.

More the bike and the weight of the kid. You get some weight behind you and your going. A car in
neutral down the same hill that I am talking about would be going in well in excess of 100.

Pete

"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
> > amount (albeit under very safe conditions).
> >
> > Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
> >
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
> He's a liar.

My pushie speeds:

Lazy cruising: 25 kph Commute cruising: 30->35 kph In a hurry: 35->45 kph Typical downhill: 40-60
kph Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph Drafting a truck: 80 kph Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph Flat
out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)

Alan Erskine wrote:
>
> >
> > I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
> > amount (albeit under very safe conditions).
> >
> > Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
> >
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
> He's a liar.

If you've got _any_ talent as a cyclist I'll show you a 50 (maybe a 60 not sure) zone where you
might get to 100 in a short stretch. You'd want balls of steel as theirs a railway crossing at
the bottom.

Gaffney st, - Just near Pascoe Vale railway station (which is at the bottom).

I've actually come off a bike here - when racing a friend during my 'wild adolescence', and a guy
opened his car door. I had enough time to slow down heaps, and had this happened at the bottom I'd
likely be dead.

around a bit next to mates when they got their license so while the exact speed for a given run
isn't known, we know that it'll be not too many kmh either side of it.

--
John McKenzie

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] admin@loopback
$LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost $USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications
on
> > your car licence.
>
> That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher penalty if you had a
> drivers licence.
>
>
> That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.
>
>

Only to the person on the bike :) Especially at 4am.

Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?

"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph

Do you race?

> Drafting a truck: 80 kph

Mmm trucks are nice.. ;-)

> Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph

Keen...

> Flat out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)

Which hill?

hippy

"Shane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph
but that
> was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing
bike.
> Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph
but I
> don't think they could go much faster.

"The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 268.831 km/h
(167.043 mph), by Fred Rompelberg (The Netherlands) at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA, on October
3, 1995. His record attempt was greatly assisted by the slipstream from his lead vehicle. Fred
has been cycling professionally for nearly 30 years and during that time has held 11 world
records." http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index/AllTitles_TravelTransport.asp

Scroll down to the Bikes and Motorbikes section.

hippy

You know, the fine is probably worth it against taxi fares...

For a first time offense, you can't get more than the $1000 fine (unless you somehow manage to cause
a huge accident and kill somebody)

A $25 taxi fare probably gets you about 14km... (approximating)

That 14km probably takes around 40 mins to ride when ******, as opposed to the 20mins in a car (by
the time you stop at a bunch of traffic lights etc, your average speed isn't that high)

As long as the weather is fine, the cycling will help sober you up...

And that equates to about 40 taxi rides. Economically speaking, it's worth it vs the risk of getting
caught and paying the fine.

Not that I would ever ride a bike under the influence.

(out of curiosity, that website is ACT law, and could be quite different to Vic law...)

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?
>
> "It is illegal to ride a bicycle on public streets including footpaths when under the influence of
> alcohol. The current penalty is $1000 or imprisonment for 6 months or both."
> http://www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm
>
> hippy

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:57:07 +1000, John McKenzie <[email protected]> Wrote :

<snip>

>
>If you've got _any_ talent as a cyclist I'll show you a 50 (maybe a 60 not sure) zone where you
>might get to 100 in a short stretch. You'd want balls of steel as theirs a railway crossing at
>the bottom.

As I read that I KNEW you were talking about Gaffney St. before I saw the next bit...:)

>
>Gaffney st, - Just near Pascoe Vale railway station (which is at the bottom).

O'Hea St. You'd break a hundred easy closely followed by your neck as you tried to scrape around
the right hander at the bottom if you didn't launch yourself into orbit off the speed hump
halfway down..:)

Keilor Rd. is a fifty zone and I regularly break 60kph just rolling down tucked up as small as
possible. I've broken 90kph going down Rosehill Rd. ( and about 9 going UP the other side ) but I
_think_ that's a sixty zone.

<snip>

--

BAH Humbug

blah wrote:
>
> "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications
> on
> > > your car licence.
> >
> > That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher penalty if you had a
> > drivers licence.
> >
> >
> > That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.
> >
> >
>
> Only to the person on the bike :)

And whatever they scratch or dent when they hit it and do a runner :)

> Especially at 4am.

Where do you live? There's still ample traffic at that time (I do live near a freeway and an
airport though)

> Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?

Are the laws something along the lines of operating a vehicle - but non specific? Since we recently
had the discussion that mobile phone laws applied to a horse and carriage, I'm tipping the same.

--
John McKenzie

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] admin@loopback
$LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost $USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

> Are the laws something along the lines of operating a vehicle - but non specific? Since we
> recently had the discussion that mobile phone laws applied to a horse and carriage, I'm tipping
> the same.
>
yup, there is. even those little 3 or 4 wheeled disability buggies can't be operated when ****** and
I think they may also need rego in some states.

Status
Not open for further replies.