Consequences for bicyclist doing 23 kph over limit in VIC?

"hippy"
> "Duncan"
> > Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph
>
> Do you race?

Only twice, I did two complimentary races with Italo(?) years ago. They *made* me race D grade
first, I came in 15 minutes ahead of the main group. Next weekend they put me in A/B grade and I
came in 6th or something. I used to ride a hell of a lot more back then, commuting 200+ ks per week
to Uni. We've actualy met, I was the guy with the long red hair when you broke your collarbone. How
is it healing?

> > Flat out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)
>
> Which hill?

Foote St Templestowe. I rode along that on my way to Uni, I would wait near the top to time my
sprint to coincide with the traffic leaving the lights at the bottom of the previous hill. I'd
sprint up to about 60 before the hill started, tuck in behind a car, they would accelerate to about
80 then I'd peddle like a ******* to shoot past them. The looks on their faces were priceless.

I've heard the offence is Dangerous Driving as bikes are considered vehicles.

I reach 87kph outside Newcastle

Brian

"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the speed limit by a substantial
> > amount (albeit under very safe conditions).
> >
> > Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
> >
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
> He's a liar.

No, not necessarily, a good road bike is well capable of that speed, I've done 78 (both GPS and bike
speedo clocked) down Apollo Road, and that was on a MOUNTAIN BIKE, which hasn't the speed or
aerodynamics of a good road bike.

Trentus

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:11:19 +1000, John McKenzie wrote:

> blah wrote:
>>
>> "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> on
>>>
>>> That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher penalty if you had a
>>> drivers licence.
>>>

>>> That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.
>>>

>> Only to the person on the bike :)
>
> And whatever they scratch or dent when they hit it and do a runner :)
>

>> Especially at 4am.
>
> Where do you live? There's still ample traffic at that time (I do live near a freeway and an
> airport though)
>
>> Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?
>
> Are the laws something along the lines of operating a vehicle - but non specific? Since we
> recently had the discussion that mobile phone laws applied to a horse and carriage, I'm tipping
> the same.

Yup. I remember a town in the deep north, where the police used to 'confiscate' the tredleys
belonging to the 'seasoned older drinkers' at the local hotels. No problem, these gents weren't
particularly concerned about speeding home, rather just getting there was an achievement, and the
tredley was just the thing, mainly because they wouldn't have made it home before opening time the
next day, otherwise. So another machine was soon required by those caught and unseated.

Anyhow, the police used to auction stuff like that every year or so, along with recovered unclaimed
thieved stuff and assorted junk they'd collected, and the seasoned older drinkers used to turn up
and buy all the bikes.

And so the cycle repeated.

So, the police decided not to bother with the auction. They had a room at the station filled to the
ceiling with bikes, and it was obvious that the demand situation exceeded supply by a fair margin.
The old bastards were seen walking! And so it came to pass that the station was broken and entered,
and all the bikes were stolen. Nothing else, jsut the bikes. No one had thought to record the serial
numbers of the machines - probably didn't think to look. incidentally, this was in a place where the
Bowen Special tree in the station yard was never stripped, and the Sergeant even mentioned in the
local paper that people should turn up and get as many mangoes as they could - they were sick of
cleaning up the fallen fruit.

So, it was back to the yearly auction.

--
Toby

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

I'd like to see that!!!

Shane

> Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
>
> Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).

> "Shane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph
> but that
> > was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing
> bike.
> > Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph
> but I
> > don't think they could go much faster.
>
> "The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 268.831 km/h
> (167.043 mph), by Fred Rompelberg (The Netherlands) at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA, on
> October 3, 1995. His record attempt was greatly assisted by the slipstream from his lead
> vehicle. Fred has been cycling professionally for nearly 30 years and during that time has
> held 11 world records."
> http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index/AllTitles_TravelTransport.asp
>
> Scroll down to the Bikes and Motorbikes section.

They had a show on (I think) the Discovery channel about this guy.

He had a pretty amazing bike setup with huge gearing!

Tim

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Alan Erskine wrote:

[..]

> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
> He's a liar.

I gather you have never ridden a bicycle.

David

"blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have
ramifications
> on
> > > your car licence.
> >
> > That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a
harsher
> > penalty if you had a drivers licence.
> >

> > That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.
> >

> Only to the person on the bike :) Especially at 4am.
>
> Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?
>

> I know of an old bloke who was charged with riding a horse while highly
intoxicated.....he was charged with operating a vehicle (horse) under the influence of a substance
which the old bloke had been doing for over 50 yrs.

He was a hermit who squatted on a big property outside of Grafton(Nth Coast) and he rode into town
once a fortnight to stock up on tucker( he left the horse tied up at the pub and got a taxi into the
main town) after collecting his pension and spent the rest of the arvo on the .....after the pub is
shut, a few of the blokes,publican included, lifted the old bloke up on the horse, wacked on his
saddlebags full of food and slapped the horses **** to get him going.....the horse always knew his
way home.....this only happened about 20 yrs ago....I knew the old bloke.

The coppers (new kids on the block) saw him slooped over the horse one night ( as is always) and
pulled the horse over, took the old guy and put him the paddy wagon and back to the cop shop to
sleep it off....the horse with saddle bags was left to graze beside the road for 15 hours or
more.....all his frozen food was thawed out ( he kept them in the pubs freezer while drinking) I
beleive that no charge was recorded as it was thrown out of court.

DJ

"John McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph
> >
> > Do you race?
>
> that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.

..and that's not answering my question. :p I can do over 60kph on the flat, but certainly not
for too long. I don't _think_ I've ever hit 70kph on the flat. Too many traffic lights, etc in
the city.. :(

> > > Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph
> > Keen...
> What kind of childhood did you have?

Funny you should ask.. a flat one. I grew up in Mildura, so :p Hills are not much fun to me now and
I only ever had a bmx or a road bike when I was young - not really conducive to 88kph offroad
downhill runs...

hippy

John McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> hippy wrote:
> >
> > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph
> >
> > Do you race?
>
> that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.

Cipo's speed for the 2002 worlds after a monster lead out was estimted to be 65 kmh. A solo
unassisted cyclist cranking it up to that, no lead out, no wind, no hill ?. You'd have to be more
than fit for that. John Kennedy's 1991 pro world record speed at alituted, IIRC was just over 70
kmh. Current is about 72, and you're claiming 60-70 kmh in not "particularly unusual for a fit but
non competitive cyclist" ?

It's a speed range many A grade club racers can obtain, particulalry sprinters, but it is not usual

[snip]

> > Do you race?
>
> that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.

You are kidding right? 60-70 on a flat is not unusual for a non-competitve cyclist? I ride a fair
bit and must say I dont see that many people cranking away at that speed... If any. Not even on the
pacific highway when chased by 3 lanes of angry cars during semi peak when they still can get to
60.

Pete

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive
cyclist.

> Cipo's speed for the 2002 worlds after a monster lead out was estimted to be 65 kmh. A solo
> unassisted cyclist cranking it up to that, no lead out, no wind, no hill ?. You'd have to be more
> than fit for

I guess he did say "non-competitive" which would mean not racing. I'm not sure if I've hit 60kph on
the flat alone. Maybe with a tail wind, I'm really not sure. But I'm pretty sure I've finished D
grade races at over 60kph - I can always check my HRM data - no guarantees that the finishes weren't
wind assisted. With my crappy drafting skills though, I probably wasn't pulled along much! hehe :)

hippy
- some speed testing is in order... around the bay sprints anyone?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:46:37 GMT, "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > He's a liar.
>
> I've not seen a 50kph zone that I could do 73kph in, but I've hit 72kph in a 60kph zone. All it
> takes is some big legs and a bit of a hill :)

Try Aiken Road at West Pennant Hills in Sydney. 50kph zone, nice downhill section. You need good
brakes, though.

dave

One of my freinds got a speeding fine for doing 90 km going flat chat down hill in an 80 zone, He got the usual penalty the same as car speeding over 10km. $125. sux hurr.

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > Do you race?
> >
> > that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.
>
> You are kidding right? 60-70 on a flat is not unusual for a
non-competitve
> cyclist? I ride a fair bit and must say I dont see that many people cranking away at that speed...
> If any. Not even on the pacific highway
when
> chased by 3 lanes of angry cars during semi peak when they still can get
> 60.

Maybe I wasn't very clear. When I said 60-70 I'm talking about a balls-out sprint, with possible
vomiting to follow :)

"John McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> hippy wrote:
> >
> > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph
> >
> > Do you race?
>
> that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.

That inspired me to try last night to see how fast I could go.

I surprised myself by getting up to 55km/h on the flat along Barkers rd Kew (on my MTB with
knobblies, and a backpack with clothes and laptop). Couldn't continue going fast as the cars started
to get in my way!

;-)

Tim

"sethius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> One of my freinds got a speeding fine for doing 90 km going flat chat down hill in an 80 zone, He
> got the usual penalty the same as car speeding over 10km. $125. sux hurr.

I've been _trying_ to get a speeding fine on my bike... There's a couple of places on my commute
where I can outdo the speed limit and I've occasionally seen radar cops at the bottom of these
hills. They are just never there when I ride past. Probably wouldn't bother with me anyway, but I'd
seriously love to see a speeding fine made out to "Registration: None - Bike"! What do they actually
write as far as Vehicle ID goes?

hippy

"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Next weekend they put me in A/B grade and I came in 6th or something. I used to ride a hell of a
> lot more back then, commuting 200+ ks per
week to
> Uni.

Nice one. I ride that much now, but I don't think I'd stand a chance in A or B grades. Of course,
there is much higher need for good bunch skills, "friends" and race tactics in the higher grades -
all of which I lack.

> We've actualy met, I was the guy with the long red hair when you broke
your
> collarbone. How is it healing?

Ahhh.. THAT Duncan! :) Howdy! My arm is 99% which is probably where it will be for the rest of my
life. I haven't done any weight lifting or anything with it, but nothing has really presented
problems in 'normal' life... Went in for an op to have it pinned but came out with them telling me
that it had already healed - well DUH! What do they expect when they make me wait 3 weeks for
surgery!? :p I guess you've been doing a fair bit of mtb'ing with the nicer weather? I've been
doing lots more road riding than anything else for ATB. Wouldn't mind taking my GT to the SS
Worlds.. more for the beer than anything else ;-)

> the hill started, tuck in behind a car, they would accelerate to about
80
> then I'd peddle like a ******* to shoot past them. The looks on their faces were priceless.

I LOVE passing cars at high speed...

hippy

"Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I surprised myself by getting up to 55km/h on the flat along Barkers
rd Kew
> (on my MTB with knobblies, and a backpack with clothes and laptop).
Couldn't
> continue going fast as the cars started to get in my way!

Barkers Rd. isn't really flat though is it? AFAIK it has quite a few hills..?

It'd be pretty hard to find a long, flat stretch of road that isn't greatly affected by wind in any
direction... anyone know of any? We can use it to start the aus.bicycle land speed record
attempts...

hippy

> "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I surprised myself by getting up to 55km/h on the flat along Barkers
> rd Kew
> > (on my MTB with knobblies, and a backpack with clothes and laptop).
> Couldn't
> > continue going fast as the cars started to get in my way!
>
> Barkers Rd. isn't really flat though is it? AFAIK it has quite a few hills..?

There is a couple of hundred metres of flat (at least it looks flat there...) between power st and
where it hits the hill towards the yarra.

It was enough room to push off from power st lights and accelerate.

Anyone have any idea why they have scrubbed out the cycling lane markings in that stretch of road?

> It'd be pretty hard to find a long, flat stretch of road that isn't greatly affected by wind in
> any direction... anyone know of any? We can use it to start the aus.bicycle land speed record
> attempts...

The east malvern salt flats?

;-)

Tim