Consequences for bicyclist doing 23 kph over limit in VIC?

David S. Maddison

Guest
I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the
speed limit by a substantial amount (albeit under very safe
conditions).

Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.

Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
(downhill).

What are the consequences of a bicyclist being caught for doing 23 kph
over the limit in a 50 kph zone in VIC? What can possibly happen apart
from a fine? Presumably it would not alter his driver's license
suspension because no license is required for a bicycle?

David

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the
> speed limit by a substantial amount (albeit under very safe
> conditions).
>
> Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
>
> Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> (downhill).

He's a liar.

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

The U.S. Government is in the
peculiar position of toppling foreign
governments in the name of democracy.

Oh, how democractic!

He would most likley get an unsafe riding charge/fine. This is what happend
to a cyclist in QLD who did about 100 down a hill where the limit was 75,
several years back.

No affect to licence as that has nothing to do with human powered transport.

P.

Alan Erskine wrote:

>>Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
>>(downhill).

> He's a liar.

Why? We've done more than that. Though, it being a 50 zone, if your
backstreets are anything like they are in sydney, you don't too many with
enough of a runup.

Still doable.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

Alan Erskine wrote:

> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>

>>Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
>>(downhill).

> He's a liar.

How so? I used to manage 65km/h on a mountain bike, down a steep street
near my house when I was 11 years old. I'd imagine someone who rides on
a reglar basis on a road/racing bike could easily get to 75km or more.

> He's a liar.

what the? I have hit 80+ on several occasions down a long straight wide
steep hill. Have a look at what some of the pro's get up to on a downhill.
Way in excess of this.

Pete

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Alan Erskine wrote:

[..]

> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> > (downhill).

> He's a liar.

I gather you have never ridden a bicycle.

David

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the
> speed limit by a substantial amount (albeit under very safe
> conditions).
>
> Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
>
> Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> (downhill).
>
> What are the consequences of a bicyclist being caught for doing 23 kph
> over the limit in a 50 kph zone in VIC? What can possibly happen apart
> from a fine? Presumably it would not alter his driver's license
> suspension because no license is required for a bicycle?
>
> David

I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications on
your car licence. I once rode past police who were investigating a car that
had knocked over a tree (at 4am). I'd had many drinks, I was riding on the
footpath, at high speed, and had to stop to lift my bike over the tree trunk
(which was lying across the path). The cops made smart **** comments about
me as I lifted the bike over the tree. I then jumped back on and rode away
into the night.

AFAIK, when you ride your bike, you are supposed to abide by road rules.
The only thing that binds you to road rules is your licence...

The thing is, if they take your licence off you for exceeding the speed
limit on your bike, well, then you ride your bike around :)

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > He's a liar.
> >

> what the? I have hit 80+ on several occasions down a long straight wide
> steep hill. Have a look at what some of the pro's get up to on a

downhill.
> Way in excess of this.

The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph but that
was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing bike.
Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph but I
don't think they could go much faster.

> The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph but
that
> was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing bike.
> Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph but I
> don't think they could go much faster.

More the bike and the weight of the kid. You get some weight behind you and
your going. A car in neutral down the same hill that I am talking about
would be going in well in excess of 100.

Pete

> I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications on
> your car licence.

That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher
penalty if you had a drivers licence.

That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.

"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the
> > speed limit by a substantial amount (albeit under very safe
> > conditions).
> >
> > Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
> >
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> > (downhill).

> He's a liar.

My pushie speeds:

Lazy cruising: 25 kph
Commute cruising: 30->35 kph
In a hurry: 35->45 kph
Typical downhill: 40-60 kph
Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph
Drafting a truck: 80 kph
Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph
Flat out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I've been told that riding a bicycle while drunk can have ramifications

on
> > your car licence.

> That's discrimination. That would mean that you would be dealt a harsher
> penalty if you had a drivers licence.
>

> That said... you shouldn't do it anyway. Its very dangerous.

Only to the person on the bike :) Especially at 4am.

Is anyone aware of the legalities of riding a bike while ******?

"John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >>Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> >>(downhill).

> > He's a liar.

I've not seen a 50kph zone that I could do 73kph in,
but I've hit 72kph in a 60kph zone. All it takes is
some big legs and a bit of a hill :)

hippy

"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph

Do you race?

> Drafting a truck: 80 kph

Mmm trucks are nice.. ;-)

> Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph

Keen...

> Flat out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)

Which hill?

hippy

"Shane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The world record speed for a bicycle is around 90mph, around 145kph

but that
> was down the side of a volcano on an purpose built engineered racing

bike.
> Using a radar I quite often get kids on bikes doing around 35- 40kph

but I
> don't think they could go much faster.

"The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 268.831 km/h
(167.043 mph), by Fred Rompelberg (The Netherlands) at
Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA, on October 3, 1995. His
record attempt was greatly assisted by the slipstream from his
lead vehicle. Fred has been cycling professionally for nearly
30 years and during that time has held 11 world records."
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index/AllTitles_TravelTransport.asp

Scroll down to the Bikes and Motorbikes section.

hippy

You know, the fine is probably worth it against taxi fares...

For a first time offense, you can't get more than the $1000 fine (unless you
somehow manage to cause a huge accident and kill somebody)

A $25 taxi fare probably gets you about 14km... (approximating)

That 14km probably takes around 40 mins to ride when ******, as opposed to
the 20mins in a car (by the time you stop at a bunch of traffic lights etc,
your average speed isn't that high)

As long as the weather is fine, the cycling will help sober you up...

And that equates to about 40 taxi rides. Economically speaking, it's worth
it vs the risk of getting caught and paying the fine.

Not that I would ever ride a bike under the influence.

(out of curiosity, that website is ACT law, and could be quite different to
Vic law...)

Alan Erskine wrote:

> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I have a friend who lost his car license (in VIC) for exceeding the
> > speed limit by a substantial amount (albeit under very safe
> > conditions).
> >
> > Now he has a bicycle as his principal means of travel.
> >
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone
> > (downhill).

> He's a liar.

If you've got _any_ talent as a cyclist I'll show you a 50 (maybe a 60
not sure) zone where you might get to 100 in a short stretch. You'd want
balls of steel as theirs a railway crossing at the bottom.

Gaffney st, - Just near Pascoe Vale railway station (which is at the
bottom).

I've actually come off a bike here - when racing a friend during my
'wild adolescence', and a guy opened his car door. I had enough time to
slow down heaps, and had this happened at the bottom I'd likely be dead.

Of course these speeds aren't easy to measure on a bike, but we did ****
around a bit next to mates when they got their license so while the
exact speed for a given run isn't known, we know that it'll be not too
many kmh either side of it.

--
John McKenzie

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost
$LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost $USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost

hippy wrote:

> "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Flat out on a flat: 60-70 kph

> Do you race?

that's not particularly unusual for a fit but non competitive cyclist.

> > Drafting a truck: 80 kph

> Mmm trucks are nice.. ;-)

unless they hit something

> > Flat out downhill offroad: 88 kph

> Keen...

What kind of childhood did you have?

> > Flat out downhill onroad: 97 kph (draft assisted to 80)

> Which hill?

I've listed one in another post - if you are in good shape (and to be
fair I actually used to be a good cyclist, and had to abandon it becuase
of patella tracking problems it caused) you could manage that. You do
need to 'time' the sprint right to be at the highest speed you can at
the start, but still have enough to push the bike until the point where
the speed exceeds your ability to help it. So by the last 1/4 of it you
are tucked under and gasping for air.

I actually used to train up and down it. It was one of the only hills I
ever thought twice about the 13-18 gear cluster on the back and swapping
the 18 and 17 for other gears. You can probably work out my age since 7
sprocket rear clusters were rare then.