Contador positive for Clenbuterol

One year ban is what I've been expecting (find one of my posts earlier in this thread). He'll be punished, but in the way it won't effect his career that much. He'll probably be able to ride Vuelta in 2011, and that's just fine from competition continuity point of view. It may even be good for him to have longer pause. He could use it to see if he has something to change in his cycling (his climbing wasn't that dominant last year, his body might be changing). He'll have enough time to collect himself and sort things out.
And the most stupid consequence of this is TDF statistics. Andy Schleck will be written as the winner, but no one (including him) will feel and consider he's the winner. And when they all finish their careers, question mark on 2010 TDF could make the difference between the greatest TDF achievement of all times and second best.

A one year ban......it's like they're saying he's sorta guilty, but not really.

Quote:Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

A one year ban......it's like they're saying he's sorta guilty, but not really.

Well he kinda sorta is 'n isn't. If he had his sample tested at pretty much any other lab on the planet his result would have most likely been negative... You could say it was great the Tour used that lab - or you could say it was Alberto's bad luck they didn't use the normal hack job backstreet lab they normally use near Paris.

The one year ban was from the useless Spanish cycling association, who ALWAYS try to let their riders get away with doping and no punishment.

This ban will be appealed for retrial from both UCI and WADA and probably also Contador himself. But there's nothing in this case to justify a "discount" so I expect it will end with a 2 year ban as he should have been sentenced long ago. It's ridiculous that is have taken them 6 months to finish a straight forward case where there is a positive drug test.

And on a sidenote, then Pat Mcquaid should step down from his position in UCI, for having shown Contador all this favouritism in this case and trying to hide the positive drug test for a long time.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Well he kinda sorta is 'n isn't. If he had his sample tested at pretty much any other lab on the planet his result would have most likely been negative... You could say it was great the Tour used that lab - or you could say it was Alberto's bad luck they didn't use the normal hack job backstreet lab they normally use near Paris.
Yeah, if what I read months ago was correct, as TdF winner his sample was singled out and sent to a special lab in Germany which could detect levels of the substance something like 40 times lower than the regular WADA test labs are required to detect. Plus, the extremely-low (ppb) level found was at least 100 times below that shown to produce any performance benefit. So, whether his exposure was accidental or intentional, it meant nothing as far as the outcome of the race.

To me, Contador seems to be a victim of the "zero tolerance" mentality, which holds that if any molecule of a banned substance can be found in an athlete, then he's guilty of doping. By that standard, I'll bet that most of the field could be disqualified for something, including the majority of us here. After all, down at the parts-per-billion level, there are traces of lots of drugs in every public water supply.....we've all probably got at least a molecule or two of some banned drug in our bloodstream.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Quote: Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Yeah, if what I read months ago was correct, as TdF winner his sample was singled out and sent to a special lab in Germany which could detect levels of the substance something like 40 times lower than the regular WADA test labs are required to detect. Plus, the extremely-low (ppb) level found was at least 100 times below that shown to produce any performance benefit. So, whether his exposure was accidental or intentional, it meant nothing as far as the outcome of the race.

To me, Contador seems to be a victim of the "zero tolerance" mentality, which holds that if any molecule of a banned substance can be found in an athlete, then he's guilty of doping. By that standard, I'll bet that most of the field could be disqualified for something, including the majority of us here. After all, down at the parts-per-billion level, there are traces of lots of drugs in every public water supply.....we've all probably got at least a molecule or two of some banned drug in our bloodstream.

That's bullocks..Clembuterol is not a substance to give any benefit during a race, but a drug used to loose weight and finding it in an athletes blood during competition suggest the use of blood doping, and the very low amount found in his blood backs up the blood doping theory + there was traces of the plastic material used in the blood bags, in contadors blood as well.

I'm surprised he got 1 year, I wonder if wada will appeal it?

your underlying assumptions don't bolster your position concerning the performance benefits versus amounts discovered. there is no way of knowing from the information released to the public concerning the rate of degradation over time for clenbuterol. certainly that rate could be found with a cursory search of the internet, i imagine, but just the same, i can't recall any of the major cycling publications ever writing about that angle. so, had he taken levels sufficient to provide benefit back in march, allowed for the substance to degrade to levels previously below the threshold and then bagged his blood for use at the tdf, contador would have gained the benefits of having trained with clenbuterol and gained a leg up when he reinfused the "clean" blood before the big mountain stages. couple that with the numerous brushes with suspect clinics and doctors during his career and contador's claims about tainted meat run from giving the benefit of the doubt to seems like he rolled the dice once too often. just my opinion, given the uncertainty (it really could have been accidental ingestion and the low level found in the test give a bit of doubt to the case) but i think a year out of competition is a fitting punishment.

For stuff that isn't naturally produced by the human body, I'm all for really low levels required to trigger a positive. But Zero?

The thing that irks me is that the labs are not held to the same standard worldwide. It's all well and good shipping a sample or two of to the one lab that can detect "item X" down to 2 parts per trillion but what about the other 99.999% of labs that can't detect that low? Their "zero" is different.

Surely both WADA and UCI will appeal for a retrial for this sentence as the 1 year ban is "not possible"...
There's 2 possibilities...Either they accept the excuse that he got the clembuterol from a steak, in which case he is innocent and should have no ban or they follow the rules for this, where a positive drug test gives 2 years ban, unless the athlete can PROVE that he got the drug by accident....just telling he must have gotten it from a steak is no proof and a pretty lame one of that.

Contador will also appeal the sentence himself, and most likely end up getting the 2 year ban he should have been sentenced long ago. It's ridiculous that it have taken them 6 months to finish a straight forward case like this, just because it happen to be a Top name.

Reactions: steve
having read the cyclingnews report that contador might slip the hangman's noose, i am, like captain renault, SHOCKED! is the spanish federation really this set on thumbing their collective noses at the uci & wada? really, a year's suspension for a rider who has spent his career skirting the dopage issue is too punitive? is there anyone left who doesn't consider these national sporting federations (including the usa's) as chief actors in this farce?

just read this, " ...Clenbuterol was withdrawn for use in Cattle in year 2009, from 43161 bovines tested then, only 1 case had traces of Clenbuterol..."
so go figure, one of this very rare cases finish on Contador's meal !
" why would you eat steak the day before a decisive stage is also non-sense from a dietary point of view " , is also cited,

Just a thought and an equation.
Drugs + Contador = Tour de France win + Fantastic climbing skills
Drugs + Contador + getting found out before this years tour de france = Schleck and co walking all over him and very reduced climbing skills.
Just a thought.

P.S. But we have the Alps to come yet.. I wait with baited breath...

Regards

Alberto Contraband..LOL

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

Just a thought and an equation.
Drugs + Contador = Tour de France win + Fantastic climbing skills
Drugs + Contador + getting found out before this years tour de france = Schleck and co walking all over him and very reduced climbing skills.
Just a thought.

P.S. But we have the Alps to come yet.. I wait with baited breath...

Regards

Alberto Contraband..LOL
Where does Johan Bruyneel falls in this equation?

I wouldnt be suprised if this was some sort of master plan to bring some dirt onto Contador...

Just playing devils advocate, as I truly believe that karma is catching up to Contador, for what happened with AS during last years TDF.

Originally Posted by knonfs .

Where does Johan Bruyneel falls in this equation?

I wouldnt be suprised if this was some sort of master plan to bring some dirt onto Contador...

Just playing devils advocate, as I truly believe that karma is catching up to Contador, for what happened with AS during last years TDF.

Rookie mistake by Schleck last year, not bad luck. Don't see why Karma would care to punish Contador for Andy's foul -up.

Would you be interestedin buying an ocean?

I still have the Indian ocean available, at a modest price :)

My comment was in reference to those that believe that AC attacked after realizing AS rookie mistake/bad luck.